Two-tier deposits and pricing on Cunard yet?

rsquare

I just asked my TA about a HAL cruise early next year, and was given, for each cabin grade being considered, two prices. One had a non-refundable $300 deposit and the other, at $200 more per person, had a refundable $600 deposit. The non-refundable deposit also had as a condition that price drops before final payment would only be honored as an upgrade if available, or a future cruise credit of 50% of the price drop.

Seems pretty outrageous to me, although I suppose that it could also be positioned as a discount for giving up some traditional rights.

Has this two-tier pricing has yet invaded Cunard?

UK pricing (as I understand from discussions here) has been that way for a few years, with greater differences in what you get at the two price points, such as the lower price being at a category guarantee, and without upfront confirmation of dinner seating selection. The lower fare also precludes a passenger from complimentary shuttles in port where the benefit is offered to higher fare guests.

It should be mentioned that UK cruise deposits are nonrefundable as a rule, so other differentiation may be necessary between the two fares in the UK.

I'm just beginning to see the two fare scheme on US Cunard offers, although I'd be hard pressed to provide an example. This spring when I booked our HAL Alaska cruise I only saw fares with nonrefundable deposits but now I think I had failed to uncheck a box on the online travel agent's search screen.

I just asked my TA about a HAL cruise early next year, and was given, for each cabin grade being considered, two prices. One had a non-refundable $300 deposit and the other, at $200 more per person, had a refundable $600 deposit. The non-refundable deposit also had as a condition that price drops before final payment would only be honored as an upgrade if available, or a future cruise credit of 50% of the price drop.

Seems pretty outrageous to me, although I suppose that it could also be positioned as a discount for giving up some traditional rights.

Has this two-tier pricing has yet invaded Cunard?

It would appear that Cunard may be testing the waters and heading in that direction. I posted this a few weeks ago about what Cunard is showing for "Our Fares" on their U.S. web site as part of the roll out of their new 2019 program.

U.S. Launch Fares and Value Fares

Basically it looks like the "Launch" fares are similar to what we have now in the U.S. with a refundable deposit, the ability to pick a specific stateroom at the time of booking, and higher priority for requested dining arrangements in the main dining room. The "Value" fare is being described as a lower fare with a reduced but non-refundable deposit, a guarantee cabin rather than a specific cabin assignment at the time of booking, and lower priority for dining arrangements.

Note that according to what Cunard has posted, "Launch" fares expire November 30, 2017 and "Value" fares expire February 28, 2018. So as of yet, this does not appear to be a permanent Cunard fare structure for the U.S. But I suspect it could indicate where Cunard may be headed with their U.S. fare structures in the future.

Regards,

John

• 5 months later...

It looks like Cunard's experiment with "Value Fares" in the US on certain 2019 voyages (where the deposit was non-refundable in exchange for a lower fare and a lower 12.5% deposit) has been allowed to expire on February 28 as scheduled. One US agency had been listing both regular refundable fares with the standard 25% deposit and lower non-refundable fares with a lower 12.5% deposit amount on some 2019 Cunard voyages. Today that agency is still showing two sets of fares, but both fares are the same higher fare and both deposits are 25%. I suppose they just haven't updated their system yet to remove those non-refundable fare listings.

Generally whether you book a Cunard Fare or an Early Saver Fare in the UK you pay 15% of the cruise fare whatever the stateroom/suite you book. With a Cunard Fare you have the flexibility of cancelling your cruise and booking another as long as within certain time and price of new cruise is higher than cancelled one and other booking conditions. You cannot use this if the price of your cruise drops and you try to book at lower price it is only allowed if you are cancelling and booking another cruise. Early Saver Fares you have no flexibility to cancel and if you do you lose your deposit and if close to cruise a sliding scale of cancellation fees i.e.percentage of cruise fare which gets higher the closer you get to sail date.