Kids' Clubs and birthday?

lrowe70

We like to plan ahead and are looking for a cruise next year when my son turns 3.

I know some cruise lines are very strict about their kids' clubs and won't let a child enter if they are not the required age on the first day of sailing. Other will let children in if they have a birthday while on board.

We are very open to most any cruise line, though are looking into one on either NCL or Princess. Both the cruises we've looked at depart one day before my son's birthday.

Anyone know the specific rules on these lines? Or do you know which lines will allow him to participate as soon as he becomes of age?

Another thing to consider is that most cruise lines require that the child be FULLY potty trained to participate in the kids clubs. I know that all kids are different, but many children, especially boys, are not fully trained by their 3rd birthday. Neither of my boys were!

Carnival does not have this requirement. Children can participate at 2 years and they will change diapers. That is the only reason that I have been on one Carnival cruise. ;)

My son is already potty trained, but thanks for the heads up.

We are actually looking at all lines except Carnival because we plan to go with some family members who refuse to cruise Carnival. :rolleyes:

NCL:

"The minimum age eligible for the drop off Splash Academy program is 3 years old at the time of sailing based on child’s birthdate according to their birth certificate or passport reflected on the ships manifest."

I know your son is potty trained, but for others NCL will allow children in diapers to participate, but they will not change diapers. Parents are given beepers and must remain on the ship in case the child needs a diaper change.

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/freestyle-family-fun/youth-programs/faq#13

I don't know the answer to your question about Princess, and I can't find the information under their description of the KidZone. I would recommend that you email them at customerrelations@princesscruises.com . This email is supposed to be for post cruise questions or comments, but they did eventually respond to my emails when I planned a cruise last year. I think you will need this response in writing, in case they give you the wrong answer (some of the call reps I've spoken to have been highly knowledgable, but others were less skilled). You also need to carefully check confirmation documents to see if the guidelines are included there since the last thing you would ever want is to find out that your child isn't eligible on the ship.

Princess allows children under the age of three to use the KidZone with adult supervision, which is quite helpful, but not nearly as helpful as being able to drop off your child. The staff was very friendly and gave my two year old whatever arts and craft supplies he wanted.

Typically the reason a line is very strict about the minimum age requirement is due to their liability insurance. So a line's "rule" as to the child's age at any point during a sailing probably is not open to any interpretation. As others indicated RCCI, NCL and Carnival have their rules based upon the child's age as of the beginning of the trip. And on those lines I know that there is no chance to "bend" the rule (whether it be 2YO or 3YO) because the potential risk to the line is huge! -- I've worked in insurance and trust me the actuaries and underwriters have no sense of humor whatsoever when it comes to these things and will raise a line's rates even when there have been no complaints or claims resulting from the "bending" of the rule.

Unfortunately I have no experience with Princess to report upon. You may need to contact them directly, but even then get it from several sources if they say he can join in mid-cruise as soon as he turns 3YO -- because the Cust Service folks have been known to sometimes speak without knowing the real story.

Thanks, looks like I may need to contact cruise lines directly.

I know that I've read on this board of people saying their kids got to be in kids club or move age groups when they had a birthday on board. At the time I didn't pay attention to which line since it didn't apply to me.

I know that I've read on this board of people saying their kids got to be in kids club or move age groups when they had a birthday on board. At the time I didn't pay attention to which line since it didn't apply to me.

Just be aware that even if the person on the phone says all will be well, many have never been on a cruise and have no control over what is actual procedure. Unless they can point you to specific company policy in writing, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in what they say. Also consider whether your child will even want to be in the kids club at that age. On his first cruise, DGS spent maybe an hour there and wanted to be with us and his parents the rest of the cruise.

Please remember too that changing from one age group to another is totally different then allowing your underage child to participate at all in the clubs. Since the cruise lines make up the age groups themselves, it is their right to make exceptions to them. However, the minimum age to participate is something that the cruise line agrees to with their insurance company. From what I have heard there is no lee way at all when it comes to that due to insurance purposes.

Thanks to all the responses. We have found 1 cruise that leaves right on his birthday that also works with everyone's schedule! Blessing in disguise as we usually spend a month debating which cruise we should pick. With only 1 option, the decision is easy. :)

A line we've never tried before(HAL), so should be an adventure!

Archived