Car Rental for Galveston

madndad

Cruising in spring of 2014 on RCCL (NOS). Plan on spending three days pre-cruise in Galveston. Flying into Hobby, picking up a car, turning in prior to the cruise. Will use the cruise line transfer back to airport. We are doing B2B so do not want to park the car at the hotel for two weeks. In checking car rentals looks like Enterprise is the only one with an office in Galveston.

Has anyone done a similar scenario?

Thanks,

Gary

I've read on here that the car can be dropped on at Enterprise in Galveston, and even saw the pics of the lock box on the door, however, I called 2 separate times to enterprise and was told both times that there is no drop off on Sunday, no way, now how. I even told her there was a lock box on the door. Anyway, Galveston cruiser, can you give a lil more insight as to how a person can do this??

Galveston has got to do something about the travel between Houston and Galveston. It makes a person crazy trying to figure it out, also, the cruise ship shuttles ONLY will shuttle on embarkation and debarkation days, not day before or day after. Like to visit Galveston a bit when I'm down that way..

• 6 months later...

We rented a car from Enterprise last week, the cost was $44 bucks plus tax. We rented from Hobby Airport drove to Galveston. We stayed at the Tremont, when we checked in and got settled, we drove the car back over to Enterprise and took a cab back to the Tremont.

We called the next morning and informed them and they said no problem.

The Enterprise in Galveston closes at noon on Saturday and is closed all Sunday. Not exactly conducive for anybody coming in a day early, the day of, or wanting a return on Sunday. That seems like a lot of money slipping through their fingers compared to the cost of keeping the place open for a few more hours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The Enterprise in Galveston closes at noon on Saturday and is closed all Sunday. Not exactly conducive for anybody coming in a day early, the day of, or wanting a return on Sunday. That seems like a lot of money slipping through their fingers compared to the cost of keeping the place open for a few more hours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I couldnt agree more ...hire someone to work the weekend it would pay for its self

We rented a car from Enterprise last week, the cost was $44 bucks plus tax. We rented from Hobby Airport drove to Galveston. We stayed at the Tremont, when we checked in and got settled, we drove the car back over to Enterprise and took a cab back to the Tremont.

We called the next morning and informed them and they said no problem.

Hi, Did Enterprise charge you a one way drop off fee? How did you book your reservation? What did you put down for pick up and drop off location? We would like to do the same thing. Thanks Patricia

Hi, Did Enterprise charge you a one way drop off fee? How did you book your reservation? What did you put down for pick up and drop off location? We would like to do the same thing. Thanks Patricia

We picked up at Hobby and were going to return to Hobby, but called Enterprise the next morning and stated our plans changed and we dropped it off. No extra charges

We picked up at Hobby and were going to return to Hobby, but called Enterprise the next morning and stated our plans changed and we dropped it off. No extra charges

I called Hobby Enterprise and I was told there is a $75 dollar one way drop off fee. Maybe I'll do the same as you and see what happens.

• 6 months later...

FWIW, when I called the Enterprise location in Austin about a one-way to Galveston, he told me that there is a drop-off fee, and the way they calculate it is 50 cents x miles from pick-up location to drop-off location. Just thought this might be useful info for others.

• 3 weeks later...

We're renting at HOU and dropping off at Texas City next day then taking taxi to port.

Avis and Budget are the two companies in Texas City. NO one-way drop fee either. Rates are between $23 and $109 for one-way 24 hour rental depending on type/size vehicle.

We rented an Enterprise car at Hobby and drove to our hotel, then to Galveston Island the next day to turn in the car. What a pain. Finally got that done, then had to take a taxi to the ship which wasn't cheap. Thank God traffic wasn't bad since we got there quite early.

Coming home, it wasn't any easier. They opened at 9am and we got there at 7:45 after doing walk-off disembarkation and taking a taxi to their office. Had to wait around in the cold for 75 mins. before they finally opened, do the paperwork and get the car. Turned it in at Hobby which took forever then take for two shuttles to get to the airport since the first one was packed to the gills. I've done a few cruises out of Galveston and this is not the best way to do it IMO.

So, I have tried several locations near the Bush airport and have gotten no where! No Enterprise will do a one way to Galveston that is near IAH. I could, of course, rent a car for the full 8 days--but with 10 people it ended up being the price of the Carnival transfer.

So, I tried Super Shuttle. This may only be a good option for those traveling in a large group BUT I was pleasantly surprised that it will cost us $394 RT for 10 people! That is half the price of Carnival!! :D

• 3 weeks later...
I'm really surprised that with Galveston going from two full time ships to four, that Enterprise or someone else hasn't stepped up and opened a location on the island that's open seven days a week for both drop off and rental.

They are now open on Sundays - short hours, but open. Check the website.

• 2 weeks later...

Which one offers free pick up and drop off?

I'm looking to rent from Budget in Texas City upon return $37.00 with drop off at Houston Hobby airport, but have to get to Texas City. Enterprise was $140 today with drop off at Houston Hobby airport...crazy.