Holland roommate-matching

JulieMcCoy

Anyone ever tried that roommate-matching service on Holland America? I'm wondering how many people actually use it, i.e., what the chances are that I'd actually get a roommate. Certainly a good way to go at the "regular" (non-solo) rate, but a roommate does negate the value of having the whole place to yourself.

I have try it 4 times. 3 times someone show up. they were 7 days cruise

and on my 14 days cruise no body show up so I had the room to my self.

The 3 times I share with someone it work out quite well. you set the rules on the first day.he goes his way and i go my way. And keep the noise down.and no visitors in the room. It work out very well. I have heard horror stories about some people experiences.with sharing. I have been lucky so far.

I have met some truly lovely people on cruises but nobody I would like to share that very small space with for 7 days. If I can't get someone I know really well to go with me I just look for a less expensive cruise and/or cabin.

One time, on a land trip, I shared a comfortably large hotel room with the wife of a friend. I met her for the first time at the airport. Not an experience I would like to repeat even though she was charming.

• 1 month later...

I booked a cruise through a group one time that will do roommate matching that I had travelled with before on two other cruises and I lucked out and ended up in my own cabin for 16 days - from Beijing to Bangkok with no single supplement. It also worked out nicely that I had the hotel in Beijing (3 days) and Bangkok (4 days) to myself. The group got a nine category upgrade and I would have to say that is has been the best cruise to date!

The roommate that was to meet us in Beijing got food poisoning - bad for her but good for me. I hate to think that we have to have such extreme measure to get a cabin for ourselves and not have to pay a high premium for the single supplement.

Karen

• 1 month later...
I don't want to share a room with most of the people I know, let alone a perfect stranger!

You got it~I agree with you 110%...you are definitely

preaching to the choir;)

I haven't taken a roommate cruising, but I did ask for a rommate with a company that does land tours of Europe. Never, ever again............................. ;) I thought.. how bad can it be? I can only imagine if we had had a tiny cruise cabin to share.

Jen,

I had a similar experience. First and only trip to Europe. Went with my college alumni association. Lady they matched me up with was strange and a PITA. Never again.

Roz

Sorry, but there's no way I'd do a cruise with a perfect stranger as a roommate. Just the bathroom issues alone makes me shiver.

I am with you on that!

I have shared on land for a week at a time, I could escape.

One "lady" took up smoking in a no smoking room and another "entertained" when I took a day trip and did not leave when I came back to shower. I went to dinner wearing the same clothes that I wore on a jeep ride in the Jungle!:mad: :mad:

FranKes, ewwwwww. Don't you love the "entertaining" thing? How rude !!!!

I'm spoiled and I like my bathroom to myself. The whole sharing the room thing MIGHT be ok, but I'm too picky about the loo.

I just booked 16 days on HAL, couldn't resist getting a balcony cabin, and was thinking I might try to offset the additional cost by finding a roommate. I'm thinking you all cured me of that! Better to scrimp elsewhere than have uncomfortable moments in my own dream cabin on my own dream trip.

Earl, About 190% but I still thought it was a great deal for this cruise and that with 16 days total, I'd sure like to have my own space but still looking out on the ocean. The idea of listening to the ocean at night is also really appealing.

• 2 weeks later...
I just booked 16 days on HAL, couldn't resist getting a balcony cabin, and was thinking I might try to offset the additional cost by finding a roommate. I'm thinking you all cured me of that! Better to scrimp elsewhere than have uncomfortable moments in my own dream cabin on my own dream trip.

Hi Karen...I have been on 5 cruises. I was matched with lovely roommates on 4 of these. I have always stayed at youth hostels when I was younger so sharing is not new to me. No one was booked on my cruise/tour of Alaska which was also nice.

I would like to go on a world cruise. I recently found out that HAL doesn't match roommates for any 'World' voyages. I think that the QEII is on her last world cruise in 2008. The QEII had single cabins for about $14000 for the cuise. The Cunard 2009 world cruises offer no single cabins, no roommate matching and a 200% charge for going alone. The same cruise will run 40,000 for 2009....bummer. Kare_erin

Im sharing in February with a woman I know for an 11 night cruise. I upgraded us (she would have been happy inside:(_ ) to a Jr Suite on the Empress of the Seas I am sure we will need our space. I can unpack and take over an entire ocean view room for a 7 night cruise without any trouble. I'll let you know.

But for the opportunity for a world cruise, yes I would chance it with a room mate just to be able to afford it.

K

• 1 year later...

Aerochick,

To the best of my knowledge this service is still available on HAL. Are you working with a travel agent? If so, I'd ask them, or call a HAL booking agent for information.

My understanding is that the single share program is limited to a specific inside inside category and a specific outside category.

Hope this helps.

Roz