Bay of Fundy St John supermoon

I've been looking for a cruise to St John, Bay of Fundy to coincide with the supermoon on September 28, 2015. I tried Carnival, RCCL, and HAL. None of them have ships in port on the right date. Princess has yet to post its New England/Canada cruises for fall 2015. I'm starting to think that cruise ships can't get into the Bay when tides are so high/low and that I'll have to change to a land tour. Is that right?

Cruise ships can get in to Saint John no matter if it's high or low tide/and no matter the phase of the moon. Saint John is a deep water port. I'm not quite sure about the super moon that you refer to. I was brought up within sight of the Bay of Fundy and the moon did not make any difference at all except for maybe a foot or two the tide came up the beach a little farther. We usually watched for when the full moon would be in August, as the tide went out farther and we could get to the rocks to harvest dulse.

Outside of Saint John however (St Martins for example) and further up the bay (Fundy national park) you will see a VAST difference in high and low tide (no matter the time of year) and you can also see a difference in St Andrews-by-the-sea (although not as much as the other two places I mentioned....from high to low tide is approximately 6hrs 20 min. This is why the tides are not in or out the same time every day. I believe the cruise ships have shore excursions to St Martins and St-Andrews.

Hope you enjoy your visit to New Brunswick... (and we dream of cruises in the Caribbean and California :-)

A "supermoon" is when the moon is both full and closest to Earth. That situation is supposed to create the highest/lowest tides.

Thank you for the information about St Martins and St-Andrews. I'll make an effort to get there.

This particular supermoon also coincides with a total lunar eclipse which will be visible in all of eastern North America. http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2015-september-28

The highest and lowest tides each month generally lag a few days behind the full moon, so it doesn't matter so much if you are not docked in Saint John right on the day.

A google search for St. Martins found me the tide tables. http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/6117.html?y=2015&m=9&d=28 You can change the date to check out days around the 28th.

This particular supermoon also coincides with a total lunar eclipse which will be visible in all of eastern North America. http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2015-september-28
I didn't know that.

The highest and lowest tides each month generally lag a few days behind the full moon, so it doesn't matter so much if you are not docked in Saint John right on the day.
or this. It makes all the difference. Thank you :D

I should add that no matter what day, there is a large difference between high and low tide. You can Google images of St Martins New Brunswick or Alma New Brunswick to get an idea of high and low tide. It may go out a bit farther and come in a bit farther, but moon or no moon, you can definately see the difference.....:). It exposes a mile of beach and takes boats from sitting on the ground beside the wharf up 20-30 feet...

Welcome to New Brunswick and hope you enjoy our neck of the woods :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm on the verge of booking one of two cruises for late September 2015. Both will get us into St. John about the date of the highest high and lowest low tides. Now I need to work out the logistics. Can someone please critique my conclusions that:

The best time to be in St. Martins would be within 2 hours of low tide to walk on the floor and visit the caves?

The best time to be in St. John to see the reversing rapids would be during the hour leading up to high tide?

Sorry - been off the boards a bit stuck in a home renovation mess :-( You could be to St Martin's about 3 hours after high tide and that would give you time to walk the ocean floor and see the caves without worrying about the tide turning and coming back in.... (you have to be careful of sand bars - it may look flat but you can get surrounded if you aren't careful).

As far as Reversing Falls - if there is any way to do it, it's probably best to see the falls at high tide AND again at low tide - that way to can see the difference...