Fosters or Mayan Princess?

Jsjustice7@aol.com

While the Mayan Princess is a beautiful resort. They don't allow full run of the facilities to day guests/cruisers. At one time they limited the number.

Fosters in the past has been a great spot. Bananarama is another. But last spring DW and SIL had a terrible visit at Foster's saying it was over run by local hawkers who got in their faces and wouldn't take no thank you for an answer. Kinda soured their "love" for the island's West Bay/West End.

We've got Little French Key or Club Natale on our list for the next time. they're on the south east side (same side as the ports but further east toward French Harbor) and may be a little too quiet for teens. But there are threads, reviews and pictures on this board you can search and decide.

Hopefully some recent visitors can chime in for you.

• 1 month later...

We were there last April and will be there in March.Foster's was a little run down, but Argentine Grill very close to it was great. But as someone said the vendors were bad. I had a woman trying to massage my feet, and I thought I would have to kick her off. This is why we are going to Turquoise Bay this time on the less traveled side. We have been all over the island and I am sure it will be a good spot. No entrance fee and they do have transportation.[/font

http://www.turquoisebayresort.com/cruise-ship-beach-day.html

Edited by overthehillcruiser

Mayan has a pool set back off the beach. SOmetimes they limit the use of it. So be sure to check. Depends on how many regular guests they have.

If you are going to be moving around and mostly doing the snorkeling, then just do the bananarama package. They don't have a real big area , but the food is good there and it's just a 4 min walk down the beach for the best snorkeling walk in area. Get there as early as possible.

Edited by eandj

Was just at Fosters last week, thought it was nice and relaxing, yes there are a few people walking around trying to offer their wares, but its like that almost everywhere.

The drinks and food were really good. For 10 bucks we had 2 chairs, umbrella and they watched our things while we took the water taxi to West End. Which is a WHOLE lotta fun to ride along the coast. Just beautiful.

We were there last April and will be there in March.Foster's was a little run down, but Argentine Grill very close to it was great. But as someone said the vendors were bad. I had a woman trying to massage my feet, and I thought I would have to kick her off. This is why we are going to Turquoise Bay this time on the less traveled side. We have been all over the island and I am sure it will be a good spot. No entrance fee and they do have transportation.[/font

http://www.turquoisebayresort.com/cruise-ship-beach-day.html

This place looks nice, let me know how it turns out.

I think if you want to do any snorkeling without having to hire someone and be taken out to some out reefs, I'd choose something on West Bay. Turq.Bay would be nice if you want a quieter spot (altho more and more cruisers and tours are stopping there,) without the walk in snorkeling opportunities. Just depends on what you are looking for. Have a great time!!

Since I'm not sure if T Bay sprays, I'd take along mosquito repellent for the sand flies. There is enough shaded greenery there you might run into more(depending too on weather conditions)

• 5 months later...
While the Mayan Princess is a beautiful resort. They don't allow full run of the facilities to day guests/cruisers. At one time they limited the number.

I have seen this mentioned several times while researching on here. Has this changed at all? When I look at booking this place using Shore Excursioneer, it states:

What is included?

• Round trip A/C transportation from your Roatan Cruise Terminal (Coxen Hole - Port of Roatan or Mahogany Bay)
  • Use of facilities at Mayan Princess Beach Resort including swimming pool, beach, lounge chairs
  • All Inclusive Beverages (open bar) such as: Local beers (Barena, Port Royal, Salva Vida & Imperial), House Rum, Vodka, Tequila, Cocktails Margaritas Rum Runner, Tequila sunrise, Soft Drinks, Orange, Pineapple and Fruit Punch are also included to make your day at the beach complete and worry free.
  • Lunch is served buffet style at Balam the hotel main restaurant, salad bar, a la minute station, three side dishes a meat, a poultry and a seafood options is available at the buffet.

It sounds like you get full run of the place. Maybe it has changed? :confused: