VICTORIA , Vans at Pier?

There are 10 of us. We wish to go to Butchart Gardens and then be dropped off at Empress Hotel.

I read somewhere that there are tons of Vans lined up at the pier, that you dont need to prebook, there are plenty available.

Can anyone confirm that? Does anyone know what the cost would be?

Would you leave it to chance that the vans would be there and would be the most reasonable option besides the public buses, which are too time consuming?

Check out CVS tours - they go to the Gardens but per their website (unless I missed it?) they do not pick up at the pier. You would need to get yourselves to one of their pick-up spots. Info at the link below:

http://cvstours.com/ <--click here

Alternatively, you might want to look into renting 2 cars for the day (you need a special license to rent a 15 passenger van). Then you can go at your leisure and it would certainly be cheaper. Just a suggestion.

CVS is too expensive, especially for a group of 10 or more.

I read that there are tons of vans and taxis right at the pier, eager and ready to take you anywhere.

I just want some specifics if someone has actually done this with a Van and what it cost.

Seems to me CVS has some sort of monopoly.

CVS is too expensive, especially for a group of 10 or more... I read that there are tons of vans and taxis right at the pier, eager and ready to take you anywhere.

Oh, taxi - that is what you meant. Yes, cabs lined up ready to go - at every port there are always taxis. You could take two cabs directly to the Gardens, but it is a long way out and it would probably cost (my guess) $50.00 plus tip each cab each way, plus admission to the Gardens is well over $30.00 per person.

I used to live in Victoria and, well, getting to the Gardens from Ogden Point cruise ship pier is going to cost you. That's why I suggested the car rentals. Please don't say that CVS has a monopoly - they provide a service and that service costs money. :)

I said that because in all my research , that is the only company that keeps coming up.

Rather than a taxi, I read that there are vans that can accommodate a large group at the pier and that they are less expensive then 2 or 3 taxis.

I have written to the Port Authority but they probably have nothing to do with this.

I have written to the Victoria tourist board and they said nothing about independent vans, only recommending CVS.

We were in Victoria in June and Budget, located behind the Empress, was less than $40 for the day. Would be less than $100 for 10 people, pretty cheap. It would open the door for some flexibility in case the group wanted to split up to do different things. It’s an easy drive. Might stop at the Butterfly Gardens along the way too.

How long are you in Victoria for? If its only a few hours, I highly recommend taking the cruise excursion out to the Gardens to ensure you make it back to the ship in time for departure. If you're there all day, then renting would be a good idea but you would need two vehicles.

CVS is not a monopoly, its the only company offering the service of bus tours out to the Gardens. You are looking for a private tour guide with a 15 passenger van.

I said that because in all my research , that is the only company that keeps coming up.

That is for a reason.

CVS is not a monopoly, its the only company offering the service of bus tours out to the Gardens.

Exactly.

OP, your choices are the following:

- 2 rental cars with 5 people in each one, PLUS admission to the Gardens on top of that

- 2 taxi vans, 5 people each, approximately $50.00 each cab, each way, plus Gardens admission for all

- public transit

- CVS tours

- ship excursion

- private tour for 10 people

Thank you to everyone. Yes I also googled and got the same companies.

We have a full day in Victoria.

All we need is a van to take us from pier to Butchart Gardens and then to Empress Hotel. No tour. Nothing fancy. I undestand that if CVS is the only company that does this, then that is the reason the costs are what they are.

No one in our group has driven a van for 16, so renting is not an option.

I read somewhere that there are plenty of vans at the pier for groups of 10 or 12. I just want to confirm that fact and the cost.

I've no idea where you read that, because based on every Victoria cruise stop and visit we've made it's simply not true. There are bus companies that will charter smaller vehicles for you - 16 seaters are the normal size - and just drive you around, without a guide per se, but they aren't just hanging around 'on spec' waiting for tourists to roll in. Victoria is a government town - tourism is a nice little side earner, but cruise ships could all go away and it would not destroy the local economy!

Someone else we helped earlier this year with a similar request ended up chartering a coach so they could all ride in the same vehicle at their leisure, but the price was not the deciding factor - it ended up costing them basically the same as the CVS shuttle tour. Unless you have a LARGE group by Butchart standards (25+ IIRC) there are no discounted tickets and the entry ticket plus transport costs basically works out pretty much identical for 4 people whether they do CVS or taxis, if traffic is light the cab might be a couple bucks less but if it's a fireworks night you can expect to pay more for the cab due to traffic..

With 5 per cab you would very likely save a bit compared to CVS - but with 10, unfortunately you have too many for an 'anyone can drive it' minivan but not enough to fill the smallest bus so my best guess is you'd end up paying more for the bus than cab fare unless you sold on the spare seats to fellow cruisers perhaps.

The cheapest way to do Butchart is renting your own car(s) - a couple of comfy full size will get ten of you there & back, driving is the same as the US except for speed in kilometres.

I read it on tripadvisor, that there are tons of vans at the pier waiting for passengers to take them into town etc. The cost was given as $200 but the date of the postings was 2014. so perhaps things have changed. That is why I posted this question to verify what I have read on Tripadvisor.

I suspect some of those "tons of vans" could have been private tours waiting for the folks that pre-booked them

Try contacting some of those tours listed and ask if they can provide just a van to get you to/from the Gardens. Won't know until you try.

Edited by cruiseryyc

I suspect some of those "tons of vans" could have been private tours waiting for the folks that pre-booked them

Yes perhaps.

~

OP, there are not "tons of vans" because as locals, we would be able to help you with this (we would know it either because some of us live/lived there, or we would know because someone would have posted here about their experience). We have given you the options so I suppose you'll have to decide now what is best for your large group. Whatever you choose, it will be an expensive day, but Butchart Gardens are absolutely beautiful. :)

Did you weigh the difference between taking a tour, and renting two vehicles plus paying admission to the Gardens? For what it's worth, it might just make sense anyway. :o I get that you all want to stay together, but outside of booking a private or ship's tour, I don't see how it's possible...

Edited by Langley Cruisers

This is what I read on Tripadvisor. But since you are locals, I now think that what I read is not true. Glad I asked for advice here.

4. Re: Taxis to/from Butchart Garden from cruise ship terminal

08 June 2014, 01:23

Hi, there are several tour companies that have vehicles down at the cruise ship terminal and they line up just like taxis, just past the taxis. They are on a first come first served basis, but there are lots of them. They routinely take groups to the Butchart Gardens. Prices vary between companies but you could find some that go for $200 (2 taxis would be $220 return). Enjoy your cruise!

Ok I have found a good solution for us.

I called one of the cab companies. They have vans for 6. You can prebook them without deposit. Each van is about $50 to $60, metered, one way. There are no flat rates.

So we could book 2 Vans. A good economical solution. I knew there had to be one.

Thank you to all here who helped. Perhaps others will benefit by reading our discussions.