Checking IDs getting off the ship or just getting back on?

thegashlycrumb

Question for recent Bermuda cruisers - did you have to show any ID to Bermuda authorities when you got off the ship or did you just need to show ID at the port to get back onto the ship?

To get off the ship you normally only have your room key scanned by the ship's security staff as you exit. However, there are Bermuda customs officers stationed in the cruise terminal and a number of times over the years I have seen them stop passengers, ask some questions, and even search for contraband. It's possible that if they stop you, you'll be asked to produce ID. I can't say with certainty because I've never been stopped.

In any event you have to produce a photo ID and your room key to get back into the cruise terminal, so if you are asked for ID when leaving it should be no big deal.

Question for recent Bermuda cruisers - did you have to show any ID to Bermuda authorities when you got off the ship or did you just need to show ID at the port to get back onto the ship?

Always when getting on, usually not when getting off but it is possible. Since you have to have it on you don't know what you are thinking. How does it make a difference? They don't do an incoming clearance because they have a manifest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks for the responses!

I have been to Bermuda on a few prior cruises, but it's been a while and I don't remember the nitty gritty of the port processes, just the fun parts of the trips.

For the curious, the reason I'm asking is because my wife is a transgender woman and I want to be prepared in case she may be delayed or questioned about her (male) ID when getting off the ship. I know Bermuda is a conservative island. Getting back on the ship will be a different situation since Carnival will have already confirmed her ID at embarkation and her ship card will have her picture. I know the TSA policies on transgender travel, but it's a bit more complicated dealing with another country.

I have been to Bermuda on a few prior cruises, but it's been a while and I don't remember the nitty gritty of the port processes, just the fun parts of the trips.

For the curious, the reason I'm asking is because my wife is a transgender woman and I want to be prepared in case she may be delayed or questioned about her (male) ID when getting off the ship. I know Bermuda is a conservative island. Getting back on the ship will be a different situation since Carnival will have already confirmed her ID at embarkation and her ship card will have her picture. I know the TSA policies on transgender travel, but it's a bit more complicated dealing with another country.

The port security agent will have to see both your ship card and a photo ID before you're allowed back into the cruise terminal. What they're looking for is the name on the ship's card to match the name on the photo ID and then the photo on the photo ID to match the face of the person they're looking at.

The ship card doesn't have a photo on it...when it's scanned when you're getting on or off the ship it links to a photo stored in the ship's computer.

The issue you're worried about is far more likely to occur when getting back on, when everyone has to show a photo ID to port security. Getting off almost no one has to show a photo ID to port security.

By the way, TSA policies have nothing to do with what is required to cruise. The regulations are set by US Customs and Border Protection and those regulations are what are checked by the port agent processing you at check in. Are you sure that your wife has the necessary documentation for the cruise, which requires both proof of citizenship and proper ID?

I would be prepared for possible questions and delay getting back on because Bermuda authorities do check ID, not just the ship. Not necessarily but don't be shocked if there are questions.

For the last four sailings that I was on ships docking at Hamilton there was one older customs worker, the same one, who stopped me almost every time in Hamilton for an extended check. Never happened the days docked in St. George. I theorize he didn't like the foreign sounding name he saw on my drivers license. So they can be subjective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk