New England cruises

ab21au

Loved our first SB cruise so much, have been looking at a follow up. Have been looking at cruises from Montreal but SB go to Boston. Other lines all seem to go to New York, which sounds nice. Has anyone any experience cruising this route and can offer suggestions.

We haven't done this cruise but thought I'd pass along my thoughts for whatever it's worth.

Boston is a wonderful!!!! Besides the obvious historical sites , Boston also has great architecture, museums and public gardens. The city is small enough that you're able to experience it on a more intimate level and the city is easily navigated.

An additional benefit to cruising in or out of Boston is that if you're able to extend your vacation, a journey through the surrounding New England area is quite lovely.

Cheers,

Jude

I've enjoyed sailing from Canada down to Ft. Lauderdale a few times. It's a wonderful, scenic cruise! One cruise (from London, Tower Bridge) we called on 'little Newfoundland, then on to Gloucester, Mass., an hour's drive from Boston.The New England cruises are truly "not to be missed" Especially on Seabourn.

Martita B

Thanks for the replies. Maineac, I agree with you, it's a beautiful region. We have been to Boston a couple of times (son lived there) and went to a beautiful spot Brewster near Cape Cod. The SB cruises are Sept which would be a better time to visit the area than Feb/ March the last times we were there. Just had this idea it might be good to sail into NY but then I thought that last time sailing into Venice but it was 6:30 am and still dark.

As you might guess, I live in the Boston area. I know it well and love it. The waterfront area alone is worth a visit. The Public Garden, Beacon Hill and Chinatown are a do-able walk from there if you are in good shape. Great shopping, people-watching and many restaurants with sidewalk cafes on Newbury St. The Museum of Fine Arts is spectacular, one of the USA's finest, and a short taxi ride from downtown. If you are staying for a few days, see if there are tickets for Symphony, one of the world's greats. it can be thrilling. The South End is like a small village, with a wonderful theater complex and great small restaurants. Check out Harvard Square….walk right through the main gate into Harvard Yard for a glimpse of history and bustling student life. If you have time, rent a car and drive out to the historic towns of Lexington and Concord. Really, really beautiful in September/October.

Whilst you New Englanders are around would anyone like to advise us on temperatures for the cruise leaving Montreal on the 1st September, sailing round the top and ending up in Boston on the 11th.

Prior to the cruise we will be staying three nights in Montreal.

This is a clothes packing alert of course !!

And yes we know the Observation Lounge will be Arctic - but what will it be like on our trips ashore?

Tony

Warm blooded Londoner.

PS. Will we be lucky enough to see the 'fall' as we go up the St Lawrence?

Edited by T&C Fulham

High temperatures predicted for today/tomorrow are Boston 70/78 and Montreal 81/70 (Fahrenheit) I would guess the mid-seventies for your cruise. I would plan on Fall clothes with a jacket or windbreaker ashore. (take your furs for Constellation). You may be lucky but you probably will only see the beginning of Fall colors, if at all. The weather needs to cool down a lot more after a very warm Summer.

You will encounter much British history along the way--some of which may even be positive. Do try to stay a few days in Boston; there is so much to see and you can learn how beloved you were in the eighteenth century.

Please do not take my jibes seriously. I am a serious Anglophile at heart and know our mere 300-odd years of Western civilization pales against Britian's thousands.

Winnie

Hi Tony,

Early/Mid September daytime temperatures average in the low to mid 70s with low humidity. Evenings you'll need a light jacket as temperature are in the 50s.

Unfortunately I believe you'll be a bit premature for the fall foliage.The peak leaf peeping season runs from late September till mid October (on average)

Wishing you blue skies and calm seas!

Cheers,

Yes, mid-daytime temps will average low to mid 70's in early Sept. and a sweater, light jacket and/or raincoat is advisable for evening. Cool mornings. But we who summer on the Cape and Islands are still swimming in the ocean then….right to the end of September. Water temp usually remains about the same as the end of August. And, you might experience the sudden onset of what we call "Indian summer" (sorry!), sometimes late Sept.or even early Oct., when it can soar into the high 80's. So do bring some light clothing as well. Of course, a day or two later it may be 50. You never know and there is no way to predict. We have a saying in New England: if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. You will not see the peak foliage, which is the end of Sept, early Oct. …not in the Boston area. It will, of course, be earlier in Quebec. But this week, I saw the beginning of some trees turning yellow and red in my mainland neighborhood, so it may be a bit early this year. All September is lovely.

And yes, the Gardner Museum….sorry for the omission.

Have a wonderful trip.

Thanks for all those suggestions. Seems we need to pack something for every kind of weather.

Winnie. You said (take your furs for Constellation). Can you elaborate, please, as I have not understood the joke yet and it might be quite important.

You also said " Do try to stay a few days in Boston; "

We went to Boston about fifteen years ago and said it was the place we would choose to live in if we were not, at that time anyway, tied to London. Now we are simply too old to move.....And on this trip we run out of time so we cannot do more than spend the day there before we fly home.

Montreal we have never been to and we are spending three nights there before we board the cruise.

I'm still looking for 'off the beaten track' suggestions for things to see on the various ports of call. We prefer to do our sightseeing on our own. Please come up with any ideas that would not be obvious from the Seabourn brochure or Tripadvisor (or the Ports of Call of course which I will be looking at soon).

Tony

London UK

Pam,

Interesting thought.

But the cruise gives us two days in Quebec anyway.

I nearly went to live in Montreal in the seventies. Having never been there I am curious to see whether it would have been a good idea....Daft I know, but interesting.

Tony

My line about furs in the Constellation lounge refers to Constellation's room temperature, especially during cocktail hours----it is VERY chilly.

I have a friend who spends holidays in Montreal and loves the city. I will be spending the day pre-cruise and am just now researching must-sees in Montreal. When you are in Bar Harbor be sure to have lobster (if you like it).

My line about furs in the Constellation lounge refers to Constellation's room temperature, especially during cocktail hours----it is VERY chilly.

I have a friend who spends holidays in Montreal and loves the city. I will be spending the day pre-cruise and am just now researching must-sees in Montreal. When you are in Bar Harbor be sure to have lobster (if you like it).

Any suggestions where I can get a great lobster roll in Bar Harbor?

Try Abel's Lobster Pound or Thurston's. But if you spend the day at the wonderful Acadia National Park have lunch there at the Jordan Pond House and get there yummy popovers along with lobster.

Sent from my iPad using Forums