Epic West Med itinerary with diy tours, transport etc

kfowinst

Hi NCL EPIC cruisers

I've prepared a full itinerary for my family's upcoming Epic West Med cruise and I thought it might be helpful for others too.

I know Italy really well so confident I have covered all the bases there. I have never been to the south of France, so my info is reliant on the web.

Disclaimer - please don't rely on my info - especially train times - just use it as a guide and supplement with your own research. Prices are guides only and may not be accurate.

It is worth mentioning that the Pope usually holds an audience on Wednesday - the day the ship comes into port. So you may want to visit or avoid the Vatican on this day.

Sharing is caring. Hope it is helpful :)

Edited by kfowinst

Hi NCL EPIC cruisers

I've prepared a full itinerary for my family's upcoming Epic West Med cruise and I thought it might be helpful for others too.

I know Italy really well so confident I have covered all the bases there. I have never been to the south of France, so my info is reliant on the web.

Disclaimer - please don't rely on my info - especially train times - just use it as a guide and supplement with your own research. Prices are guides only and may not be accurate.

It is worth mentioning that the Pope usually holds an audience on Wednesday - the day the ship comes into port. So you may want to visit or avoid the Vatican on this day.

Sharing is caring. Hope it is helpful :)

There is not a link but I am looking forward to your info...

Great work! I had chicken scratch notes so far. Question, please. Is the NCL port shuttle fee for a roundtrip?

One comment, and you probably know this, David is at the Accademia. There is a replica on the Piazza della Signoria which is adjacent to the Uffizi. The two museums are completely separate and about a 15 minute walk apart. Just noting this because your notes indicate the Accademia is at the Uffizi.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

Great work! I had chicken scratch notes so far. Question, please. Is the NCL port shuttle fee for a roundtrip?

One comment, and you probably know this, David is at the Accademia. There is a replica on the Piazza della Signoria which is adjacent to the Uffizi. The two museums are completely separate and about a 15 minute walk apart. Just noting this because your notes indicate the Accademia is at the Uffizi.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Glad you have found it useful. The NCL shuttle fee is for the roundtrip - it was listed in a recent freestyle daily so I believe it is up to date. Apparently the port is quite a trek from Livorno train station and not walkable. We are 5 people so a taxi may not be feasible, otherwise that would be a good option for a group of 3 or 4 people.

Thank you for pointing out the error in my description of the Accademia and Uffizi. I noted down the Uffizi because it's their website where you purchase tickets for the Accademia (at least that's what google sent me to!). I've read that it's a good idea to book your tickets in advance to avoid the queues? I would be interested to hear from other people's experience whether this is in fact necessary.

I visited the Uffizi 16 years ago! It's an amazing gallery, but I do remember the long queues and throngs of people. I don't think we will be able to fit it in on this trip unfortunately.

Edited by kfowinst

Awesome - Thanks. We have to wait until May but I am absorbing all I can!!:D

Excellent, you must be very excited about your first trip around the med. I love Italy so much, I spend most of my annual holidays there! This will be the first time visiting by cruise ship, so will be a different experience for me. There's a really good post in the italy ports forum about foods to seek out if you are interested in Italian cuisine. You're in for a treat :)

Just noticed a couple of ambiguities which I need to make clear...

Naples Aquarium is to the right of the port as you are standing ashore, and looking out to the Epic/ sea. So as you exit the ship it is on your left!!

Unless you want a leisurely stroll along the lungomare, the best way to get there may be to take a taxi. I really like that area of Naples as you walk past the 'Castle of the egg' which you can also visit. It's lovely on a sunny day.

Also, there are many different types of Artecard for Naples and the Campania region. I've had a look on the website (http://www.campaniartecard.it) and they don't seem to sell 24 hour cards. You have to buy a 3 day card. The value is incredible - 21 Euros for the 3 days Naples card, 32 Euros for the campania 3 day card, which is valid at pompeii, at most of the sites I listed and around the whole of the Campania region (but not Capella Sanservo) and on ALL trains, buses etc - even along the Amalfi coast! But you may not get value out of it on 1 day - although, just having one card makes everything easier - no queues.

The only public transport i don't think the Artecard is valid on is the Circumsuviana which is a private train company. I've never actually tried to use it on that train, but you might want to try!

Hi there,

I have done this cruise twice, and gone to see David twice! Reservations are absolutely necessary! Make them online, then take your paper across the street from the entrance and they will give you tickets. Then there are two lines, one for no reservations and one with reservations. The first time we had a 5 min. wait, the second time a 10 min. wait. Hope this helps!

Also in Cannes, there is a delightful area called Le Cannet. Google it!

Very accessible by public bus in about 10 mins. and so charming! Their wasn't a tourist around when we went and there are restaurants, a couple of boulangeire and it overlooks Cannes.

Thank you for pointing out the error in my description of the Accademia and Uffizi. I noted down the Uffizi because it's their website where you purchase tickets for the Accademia (at least that's what google sent me to!). I've read that it's a good idea to book your tickets in advance to avoid the queues? I would be interested to hear from other people's experience whether this is in fact necessary.

I visited the Uffizi 16 years ago! It's an amazing gallery, but I do remember the long queues and throngs of people. I don't think we will be able to fit it in on this trip unfortunately.

It is not only necessary, it is imperative that you pre-book tickets into the Uffizi. HUGE mega lines there, especially in the summer.

When in Naples if you decide on an island trip try a visit to ischia I have just returned from a weeks holiday In Sant Angelo a wonderful place . From what I understand Capri is just soooooooo busy with cruise ship tours

Thanks glitter gal , yep I've been to both twice on day trips. You're totally right, but Capri is quicker to travel around and as we have got limited time. Unless we catch an early ferry to Ischia I don't think it's possible to visit in one day. I always felt I was clock watching in Ischia.

On the hand Capri is easier, but can be a total madhouse like you say! I'm hoping October will be quieter.

I'll leave the choice up to my travel companions who haven't been to any of these places

Hi there,

I have done this cruise twice, and gone to see David twice! Reservations are absolutely necessary! Make them online, then take your paper across the street from the entrance and they will give you tickets. Then there are two lines, one for no reservations and one with reservations. The first time we had a 5 min. wait, the second time a 10 min. wait. Hope this helps!

Also in Cannes, there is a delightful area called Le Cannet. Google it!

Very accessible by public bus in about 10 mins. and so charming! Their wasn't a tourist around when we went and there are restaurants, a couple of boulangeire and it overlooks Cannes.

Thanks Grancayman, this is really helpful advice - we'll make sure to book in advance if we decide to go to Florence

Le Cannet looks wonderful and I see there is a Bonnard museum there! Bonnard is one of my favourite artists, his use of colour is phenomenal!

Edited by kfowinst

It is not only necessary, it is imperative that you pre-book tickets into the Uffizi. HUGE mega lines there, especially in the summer.

I think we are going to give the Uffizi a miss this time as it will be too much for us in such a limited time - we'll see David instead as the Accademia is smaller

I've updated the itinerary with more information and corrected information (thanks to fellow CC'ers).

I would recommend discarding the previous document and using this version instead.

I've also added a walking tour of Rome and exact train times for that section. Plus there are more ferry options to the Islands off Naples.

Enjoy :)

EPIC CRUISE ITINERARY.pdf

Edited by kfowinst

• 2 weeks later...

I know all the guide books tell you to take trains to Pisa Centrale but there is a train station right beside the Leaning Tower called Pisa San Rossore. We arrived and left from there. All trains coming from Lucca stop there. I would recommend using it. It is unmanned but we had no problem.

great guide for those of us trying to save some money! We have 2 kids so it adds up quickly X4 on the prices for the group excursions!

I am curious about making reservations in Florence for the museum(s). Kids are 6&8 should we just consider the Da Vinci one with them? How do we estimate a good time? Also is there enough time to walk up the Tower in Pisa or just photo stop?

Going in October so hoping the crowds won't be as bad as summer but I'm sure it will still be quite busy!

In July there were construction works in civitavecchia. Shuttle stopped at another stop. From there you could walk to the train station (20-25 Minutes) or take another bus (I think about 1€), first bus at 8 am. BIRG ticket was 12€.