Salerno to Amalfi using public ferry?

jst4fun715

Has anyone ever used the public ferry to get to Amalfi from the port in Salerno? There is an excursion through the ship, but it would only leave about two hours in Amalfi and of course the cost is much higher. I'm sure we would have to take a taxi to the area where the ferries leave, but just thought that this way, we could have a bit more time in Amalfi itself. I was there two years ago on a tour of the Amalfi coast and just wanted more time there. And an additional question.....are the public ferries accessible for a person that uses a mobility scooter. He can walk short distances and the scooter folds up to about the size of a carry-on bag. Any information is appreciated.

There are two ports in Salerno from which ferries depart.

Molo Manfredi is in the same area as the cruise port but there are only a couple of departures in the morning. If they fit with your schedule it's great since it's so close. The schedule is here, there are departures to Amalfi at 8 and 8:40 AM: http://www.alicost.it/en/orari-e-prezzi/

Unless you have a late departure time you probably can't take the return to Manfredi as it doesn't arrive until 6:50 PM, too late for most cruisers.

Therefore, for the return you'll need to use the Concordia dock, located a mile and a half east of the cruise port. It's an easy walk back along the waterfront, or you can take a bus or taxi. The Concordia schedule is here: http://www.travelmar.it/it/orari

Thanks so much! I think the ones out of the Concordia would be better....they run much more often and it isn't that far. I appreciate the help!

We did this two years ago. Got off the ship asap, walked quickly all the way to the Concordia ferry. We may have bought return tickets, I'm unsure. Probably spent three hours in Amalfi town, visited the church, stopped for drinks at an outdoor spot, and poked around. Return ferry, then walked back to ship through Salerno streets instead of all along the waterfront. It was either a Sunday or holiday and most places were closed but it was interesting to walk through anyway. Have fun!

Did it last year, and it was one of the best days on the cruise. Five women, we walked to the ferry dock from the shuttle from the ship, but we took a taxi back to get the shuttle to the ship. The ferry trip was beautiful, you will see such beautiful views!

Again, thank you all for the replies! I think this is what we will do. It looks like the ferry is only 8 Euros each way as opposed to the cruise tour that is $66 per person and considering the travel time on the ferry it only leaves 2 hours in Amalfi. This way we can make our own schedule. :)

Did it last year, and it was one of the best days on the cruise. Five women, we walked to the ferry dock from the shuttle from the ship, but we took a taxi back to get the shuttle to the ship. The ferry trip was beautiful, you will see such beautiful views!

Linda, I reread your post and now have a question. How far does the shuttle from the ship take you. I guess I mean, how far of a walk is it from where the shuttle drops you off to the ferry dock?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry just saw this. It's a bit of a walk. They take you to a park area, and walk is along the ocean front. It was long enough we took the taxi back, depends on how much you want to walk, then the pier was very long to where the ferry was!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums