QM2 2007 World & Segments Roll Call started

Therapst

• 3 months later...

Mary: Thanks for getting the roll call started on the Queen Mary 2 World cruise. I am taking the San Francisco to Sydney section. Needless to say I am very excited. Thanks also for your e-mail. Where can I get a pop-up laundry basket? I am heading up to San Francisco the night before she sails so I can see her coming through under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Trevor

Gee, Trevor,

I have one sitting here beside my computer, still in the bag. I paid $3.00 for it (actually $2.99) at Brooks Drug. That's also Eckerd Drugs if ou are in the Southeast, Where Eckerd's was founded!

Shall I send it on?

Karie,

who ISN"T on the World Cruise... but if you'd like to adopt her, she'll lie about her age! (which is 52!)

Just wondered if anyone doing the QM2 World Cruise in January '07 has received any packets from Cunard yet? :confused:

I did read where some cruisers on the QE2 WC have received some of their info...

Hi, I am on the full QE2 world cruise and I received my documents today. We'll see you in FLL and then again in Sydney. Wanna race???? We're faster!!!!! ;)

Have a great cruise...Queen Mary 2 is an experience.

Hi, I am on the full QE2 world cruise and I received my documents today. We'll see you in FLL and then again in Sydney. Wanna race???? We're faster!!!!! ;)

Have a great cruise...Queen Mary 2 is an experience.

Bobby1119, that's great! Which countries are requiring visas?

Hey, if you're faster, how come we arrive in Sydney before you? :p

Hi, I am on the full QE2 world cruise and I received my documents today.

That's not fair - we're going in December; I rang Cunard today because we haven't had any details yet; They said that they're still sending out the tour books for November so it will be a few weeks before we get ours!

My husband and I are not on the QE2 but I would like to share some information with all you lucky cruisers. Two trips ago to South Africa we were introduced to a tour operator in Durban, South Africa and we had a WONDERFUL tour with him. He took very good care of us and it was as if he was taking friends and showing them the game parks. We had a day tour to Tala Game Reserve which is about an hours drive from the harbor, saw lots of animals, went on to the lion park, then to see Zulu Dancing in the Valley of 100 Hills. I HIGHLY recommend him, his details are as follows, his e mail is utopiatours@telkomsa.net and his web site address is

www.utopiatours-sa.com He is very resonably priced and you will NOT be disappointed. Hope you all enjoy the cruise.

Heather

NB. He can only take 6 passengers

My husband and I are not on the QE2 but I would like to share some information with all you lucky cruisers. Two trips ago to South Africa we were introduced to a tour operator in Durban, South Africa and we had a WONDERFUL tour with him. He took very good care of us and it was as if he was taking friends and showing them the game parks. We had a day tour to Tala Game Reserve which is about an hours drive from the harbor, saw lots of animals, went on to the lion park, then to see Zulu Dancing in the Valley of 100 Hills. I HIGHLY recommend him, his details are as follows, his e mail is utopiatours@telkomsa.net and his web site address is

www.utopiatours-sa.com He is very resonably priced and you will NOT be disappointed. Hope you all enjoy the cruise.

Heather

Hi Heather,

The QM2 World Cruise doesn't go to South Afruca, but this would be great info to post on the QE2 World Cruise roll call.

Thanks,

Karie:

Thank you for your kind offer, I live on the West Coast and managed to find one at a drug store here. Thanks for making me laugh, I'll consider the adoption:) Anyone on the World Cruise segment one and two who would like some information on things to do in San Francsico while the ship is overnight , let me know. I lived there for 10 years before moving south to Santa Cruz County. Not received any documents yet. Hope more of you join as we get closer to the sailing day Trevor

http://www.utopiatours-sa.com He is very resonably priced and you will NOT be disappointed. Hope you all enjoy the cruise.

Heather

Safari Traveler:

You posted the same exact post on 10/25. :mad: QM2 doesn't call in South Africa. Are you a past passenger--or are you the tour operator?

Hmmm' date=' I wonder...,:confused:[/quote']

haha Therapist's lady., we all thought that but you were the only one with guts to say it!

According to Zierer Visas Services (www.zvs.com), QM2 passengers (US citizens and Canadian citizens with US Resident status) on the world cruise will need individual visas for Brazil, India, and Australia. Two (or more) passport-type photographs are required, as well as a multitude of forms and some pretty hefty fees. Cunard is apparently arranging entry visas for Egypt and UAE.

In order to avoid expensive rush fees, suggest you contact ZVS for your application packet immediately. ZVS can email the packet to you or provide you with login information for a site where you can downloan them in PDF format. ZVS can be reached at 866-788-1100.

Hope this helps....

Karie:

Anyone on the World Cruise segment one and two who would like some information on things to do in San Francsico while the ship is overnight , let me know. I lived there for 10 years before moving south to Santa Cruz County. Not received any documents yet. Hope more of you join as we get closer to the sailing day Trevor

Hi Trevor

I would love some San Fran info. We are flying out of Southern Cal to London to pick up the QE 2 in Southampton. Going all the way to Sydney.

What I was thinking about doing in Frisco was to take the cable car to Fishermans Warf, then take the tour of Alcatraz, maybe have lunch in Sausalito if it is not to cold, and of course finish the day at Ghirardelli Square. I must get some chocolate before we get back on the ship.:)

Look for us in the Chart room first night out about 10. See you there.

and of course finish the day at Ghirardelli Square. I must get some chocolate before we get back on the ship.:)

Forget the chocolate. Have yourself Anchor Steam Beer!

In fact, last I remember, they sell it in the little cafe at Ghirardelli square.

Trevor, is the human jukebox still around?

For the rest, this is a busker- a street entertainer, who plays marvelous trumpet, and just about any song you can mention. He walks around in a huge cardboard box with buttons to push for the songs you want. And of course, a slot to give him the money.

San Francisco has some marvelous street performers. They live off the tips folks give them. Some are very good!

Here in Hartford, we had a busker who would play across from the Bushnell, an auditorium where operas were staged, the Hartford Symphony is in residence, and Broadway traveling companies bring their series. This gentleman was (is) quote good. This year, the director of, I think the HSO, asked him ti perfomr on stage at the Bushnell. Turns out the man had classical training. I believe he was retired from the phone company. He did this because he simply loved to perform, and it gave him a venue to do it. So the next time you look down in disdain at buskers, perhaps those playing, dancing or what-have-you, in your next port of call, think about this. He was not down on his luck, not an alcoholic, or anything of the sort. He went home to his solidly middleclass life. He simply loved music, and a chance to perform. By the way, the gentleman was also black.

So don't look down your nose. You never know who might REALLY be at the other end of it.

Karie,

who tries not to be classist and judgemental, but knows that she sometmims fails miserably.

Yes' date=' Trevor. If you wouldn't mind, please post some tips on what to see & do in SF.[/font']

I really liked the tip about having a drink at the 'Top of the Mark'.:) Any suggestions on good restaurants? Since we will be there overnight, that is...?

My dear "Lady" and all other Cunarders, the 'city by the bay' has been my home for 30 years, it would be my pleasure to answer any questions you may have...oh, and one thing while you are in port here - to avoid making any San Franciscan cringe - don't call it "Frisco".

The city inside the Golden Gate is getting ready and rolling out the red carpet for all of you :)

Bob.

OK, now that I have a little more time, all these suggestions are close to QM2's San Francisco berth - here we go:

two great Seafood places I recommend on Fishermans Wharf:

http://www.scomas.com/home.htm

as far as I know, they still do not take reservations.

http://www.aliotos.com/

some locals may say it's a bit of a tourist trap, but the food and service is still wonderful after all these years.

for great Italian ( on Russian Hill )

http://www.milanosf.com/

but if you want to just stroll up Columbus Ave (North Beach Area ) there are dozens of Italian eateries and cafes lined all along on both sides.

- - - sights:

ALCATRAZ a must see, even though it will be winter and the tourist are staying away until at least May, you still should make reservations way in advance. It is best only to book directly with the official sight here:

http://www.nps.gov/alcatraz

Ghiradelli square:

http://www.ghirardelli.com/shops/ghirardellisq.aspx

The Cannery:

http://www.delmontesquare.com/

Both the above are within walking distance of the ship.

... and finaly, for Miss Karie, I have not seen the "Human Jukebox" around the wharf area in many many years. I think perhaps the police kept on telling him to "move on" - but I would always stop and laugh - he had quite a good little show going on in that little tiny box. HOWEVER, appears he is still out there - the show, in a way, still goes on outside the box I guess: http://www.humanjukeboxx.com/

hope this helps:

Bob.

Thanks for all the San Fran tips............we are flying in 3 days early but are going to try and get some skiing done in the mountains. Depending on the conditions hope to catch the Amtrak train up thru the spectacular Donner pass to Truckee before visiting the slopes. Still should be some time for the other city activities before we sail.

Is anything oficial planned for the arrival/departure of the QM2?

Where is it panned to berth?

Thanks again for you tips and assistance.:D

Thanks for all the San Fran tips............we are flying in 3 days early but are going to try and get some skiing done in the mountains. Depending on the conditions hope to catch the Amtrak train up thru the spectacular Donner pass to Truckee before visiting the slopes. Still should be some time for the other city activities before we sail.

Is anything oficial planned for the arrival/departure of the QM2?

Where is it panned to berth?

Thanks again for you tips and assistance.:D

G'day Emu: I'm a transplanted Aussie myself ( 30 years now since I left the ol' convict colony :)

QM2 festivities for the Port of San Francisco are still in the planning stages. She will enter through and under the Golden Gate, sail past and close to Alcatraz into pier 30 ( the only pier large enough to 'almost' hold her ). Pier 30 is located in close walking distance to Fisherman's wharf on one side and the Ferry Building at the foot of Market Street on the other. No long cab rides or shuttles needed here - a very convenient and picture perfect location.

Thanks for all the SF information, Highcbob. If you aquire more information about the festivities for Mary's Maiden call to the city by the bay, please post it for us--we'd love to read about it.:)

Can you tell me how far in distance Pier 39 is from Pier 30 (aside from 9 piers away, that is). I was thinking that it might be nice to stroll around Pier 39, check out the shops, restaurants, the carousel, etc while we are docked overnight.

Sure do appreciate all your insight, Bob.

Archived