Cunards Admin whoe's

victor meld

We sailed on the QE2 on 3rd October. This was our first cruise, we were so excited and looking forward to 10 days of luxury and splendid service. Admin thought otherwise. The collection from our hotel was 1 hour late. the queue was horrendous and the check in laughable. The pursers office no better and maned/woman ed by ill trained staff and our request for a table for 6 or 8 ignored and we were on a table for 4. The first 24 hours on board we could have cried, nothing was going right. To make matters worse Cunard have still not written with any sort of apology.

On the plus side the service staff on board are marvelous and courteous making the rest of the cruise wothwhile but it will be a long time before we sail with Cunard again.

Well you just about summed up everything everyone here has said about Cunard - poor administration at head office but once onboard its a different story.

First, any collection at a hotel will likely run late as the buses or cars do get stuck in traffic and usually haven't completed other runs before they get to you. I know of very few pick up services that are actually on time to the exact minute. I wouldn't necessarily blame Cunard on that since this is a private service that Cunard contracts out and thus Cunard has no say in the timing of such service.

Cunard is smart in assigning recommended check-ins and offer a staggared attempt at boarding. Here the line is actually being smart.The problem is, unfortunately, your fellow travellers who choose to ignore the check-in times and arrive whenever they please and if they all arrive at once there will be an overflow of people to handle. I blame this one solely on the passengers. So its starting to look like you shouldn't be blaming Cunard on your woes to this point.

Where I may agree with you is with the purser. On board personnel are indeed employees of the company. I have heard others complain about the purser and the tour office in regards to lack of knowledge and rude customer service. This is indeed a point you can note in the review cards and write in a letter to Cunard after the cruise.

So except for the on board personnel of which you do end up admitting that you also received some wonderful service I would rethink blaming Cunard totally on your travel woes. I too would be upset if I was in your position as I would likely be taking a badly needed break and expect a nice getaway. Getting what you got would get to me too. However, I would hope I would be laying blame where it is supposed to be layed.

Glad to hear you did have a good time once on board and I think that is what is more important in the end.

David

The Hotel was part of the Cunard Package so should come under their jurisdiction. If the Hotel or Coach firm are not up to it change them. We had to stand for 2 hours in the hotel lobby because not enough seating. no hot drinks. The check in was a farce. If people do arrive to early and clog up the machine this is a problem that should have been sorted years back, how long have Cunard been loading ships? Even my bank manager couldn't have made a bigger cock up and he is good at cock ups. The check in girl was totally untrained and made a mess of entering our credit card details hence the trip to the pursers office 3 times before it was sorted and a rather tart letter left in our cabin because of their mistakes. Sorry, entire blame is Cunard's and they should have replied to me by now. Also why were we put on a table for 4 when we specifically requested 6 or 8 minimum. We were stuck with a complete , I shall use the words his wife called him . An arrogant bast****d. Her words not mine.

So sorry to hear you have still not had an answer to your complaints from Cunard. I must say as regards the queues for registration we were also appalled at the long wait that many people experienced on that cruise, it did not directly affect us but we were very sorry for the people who had travelled with us from the North of England as we had a long journey due in the first place to one passenger collapsing as her cases were being loaded on to the coach. The Lady concerned and her husband had to be left behind as she had to be taken to Hospital. This took time and led to a knock-on effect, not helped by a passenger at Bolton who had gone to the Bus Station and not the Motorway Service Station. The result was we were a good 2 hours late despite our drivers best efforts. (Full marks to Coach Connect). Even so from what I have read on the boards this was not a one off and such a start to a luxury holiday is unacceptable. It was our 16th cruise on QE2 and we have never experienced anything like it.

HOWEVER as you say once on board we had no complaints(except PO)

I do hope you will give Cunard another chance!!!!

Will not go with Cunard again unless we get a full explanation of what went wrong plus an apology. That's the way we feel and it is sad as we both enjoyed our cruise when most things were sorted apart from our table guest. Will only ever book a table for 2 in future , maybe on the Oriana.

Was nice meeting you on the cruise Coolgran.

Cunard is smart in assigning recommended check-ins and offer a staggared attempt at boarding. Here the line is actually being smart.The problem is, unfortunately, your fellow travellers who choose to ignore the check-in times and arrive whenever they please and if they all arrive at once there will be an overflow of people to handle. I blame this one solely on the passengers. So its starting to look like you shouldn't be blaming Cunard on your woes to this point.

David

Also, sometimes, people just don't have much control over exactly when they will be arriving at the terminal. With flights and trains and coaches arriving in Southampton from all over the UK, flights coming in from Europe and the US, people cannot be expected to not line up for check in just because their flight, coach, or train arrives before the recommended check in time. It's much the same for NY departures.

Not directing this by any means at any individual, I'm wonderding at the possible difference in state-of-mind between crossers and cruisers. Last January in Southampton, embarking for QE2's crossing, the main check-in line snaked it's way out of the check-in lobby, out to the drop-off platform, down the platform and out along the side of the terminal where the rail tracks are. Never heard any complaints about disorganization or incompetence.

just a thought...:rolleyes:

True Kyle. I should not have had a blanket statement saying all people checking in are stupid and pay no attention.:o

I realize that myself as it doesn't make sense to have a flight arrive first thing in the morning and then wait before heading to the port to check in later in the day especially if the air is arranged through the cruiselines. However, I do know of those who are impatient and want to be there first thing even thought they could arrive later.

What I was trying to say, and I think you realize this, is that Cunard is not 100% to blame on all the issues. They are not gods either but was trying to make sure blame was being put where blame was supposed to go.

I failed with the OP and with others. So.......I'll quietly walk away and go onto other ventures. All I can say is that I am still looking forward to my QE2 cruise in 2007 out of Southampton!

David

They are to blame when the check in staff are untrained, the pursers are untrained and rude. The person who completely disregarded our request for a table for 6 or 8 also worked for Cunard. Why also have they nor replied to my letter, because some one else at Cunard is incompetent.

They are to blame when the check in staff are untrained, the pursers are untrained and rude. The person who completely disregarded our request for a table for 6 or 8 also worked for Cunard. Why also have they nor replied to my letter, because some one else at Cunard is incompetent.

What, as a Maitre D', do you do if you cannot make everyone happy?

Bear in mind that there will be people who have regular tables, and those who have made specific bookings with the restaurant long before the cruise.

You cannot, unless you are very lucky, make everyone happy.

We've booked in to rather more Cunard voyages than you, and have never had anything other than pleasant check in staff.

As for delays, Cunard are trying to sort this out with their new system. It doesn't appear to work - but it is new since June and they are probably letting things settle down to see if it is potentially helpful.

You're right about the Purser's Office. Often staffed by pleasant and attractive young ladies, they have no idea how to deal with anything.

What I was trying to say, and I think you realize this, is that Cunard is not 100% to blame on all the issues. They are not gods either but was trying to make sure blame was being put where blame was supposed to go.

David

Certainly. ;)

Boy I could tell you a couple of good ones about falling into the black hole of shore-side administrative baloney :eek:

But I keep coming back :)

You're right about the Purser's Office. Often staffed by pleasant and attractive young ladies, they have no idea how to deal with anything.

2 short items.

Victor,Did you ask the Maitre D' if a change was possible, as you had reuested a larger table? If not possible, I think I would have seen it (this is just me, mind you, as I am that way) as my challengeto A) make the arrogant b***ard act like a refined gentleman by charming the pants off of him and playing up to his ego, or B) made sure his long suffering wife had the cruise of her lifetime, with two new friends to whisk her along with us and make sure she had a good time in spite of HIMself. That is simply my way! Take it as my way of obtainng power over arrogant b***ards!

2nd item.

When we were on the Jan Panama cruise and had to skip Costa Rica despite the Captain and crew's best attempts, I had to go down to Pursers for an unrelated item (our fault) First I sidled up the the next purser's assistant, commiserated with her about how it was not their fault, they did everything they could and how it was terrible of the passengers to blame them and treat them rudely. AHA! Now that I had her in my confidence, she had a friend to whom she was more than willing to let a sigh of relief, unload a tiny bit, and take me into her confidence. And she did! I applied honey, and got fabulous results, while vinegar might not have gotten me as far. She told me of the fax they had gotten that morning from the port authority and how difficult it was to deal with, but they had no choice, neither did the Captain. He tried so hard to come up with an alternate port that had room

and would put us into our final destination on time. I learned a few things the general public was not aware of (which I kept to myself, since it was told in confidence) made a new friend who was terribly grateful to have someone see how difficult her position was, through no fault of her own, and felt good about myself for maybe, just maybe having brougt a smile to a harried and underpaid employee and perhaps given a lift to her very difficult day. In turn, I got what I came for, with a smile, and felt good about myself for not being a witch and being a kind person.

My point is, they are employees doing a job with the tools (inadequate though they may be) they are given. I find if I try to imagine what their day is like, and imagine their needs and concerns, I can usually come to some sort of position which is mutually beneficial and usually gets me more than what I want, and with a smile. I sort of wonder still if it was exactly that type of approach, when we ended up at the wrong door and did not even get to be introduced to Commodore Warwick, much less get to speak to him and wish him well on his (not public yet, except here) retirement. The staff conspiratorially snuck us round and had us re-enter at the correct door, and introduced us to the Commodore with great flourish, whence we got a moment to speak, and he asked specifically if we were one of those CruiseCritic People online! The next day, we found a lovely invitation in our cabin asking us to dine with the Captain. I cannot say it was that, although a previous cruiser here did give hints as to how they chose. Vivacity is one trait they look for (which I have in spades, most will agree!)- but I like to think it was a bit of extra personality and being sympathhetic instead of nasty that might have earned us that honor!

Victor. I am sorry you had such a difficult time, and do hope you will consider giving her another chance. Everyone has a bad day. Perhaps they got all of their bad stuff out of their system as far as you are concerned that day, and from here on out everything will be roses and sunshine!

Karie,

Who is still catching up from her week away in Parrothead paradise!

We booked our table for 6 or 8 when we booked our cruise months in advance. When we were put on a table for 4 we just thought it may be OK but no. Now we were polite and attentive to our table mates, manners dictate that you would not hurt anyone's feelings by asking for a change of table. Do not get me wrong, he was not all bad but would not keep quite for one minute and kept talking about himself. This is not a conversation but a monologue.

Believe me when I say I am always polite, never rude to staff and always try to see their point of view. BUT I do my job well and I expect others to do the same. When they show a complete lack of interest in what they are doing or are totally incompetent then I think I have the right to feel a little disgruntled. I have paid for a service I was not getting. You work all year and look forward to your holiday. We were entitled to feel disappointed when the start of it was marred by incompetence. As Brits we are used to just sitting back and accepting a bad lot. Why. We paid for a service we did not get and the very least Cunard could do is apologise and look at ways of improving it. Had it been just one thing OK but a multiple of things is bad management.

I think we need to be reasonable about the logistics of getting so many people on board in a quite small amount of time. We have had this sort of thing with other cruise lines as well as Cunard.

As to the problem with the dining, it is hardly Cunard's fault if you happen to be seated with a moron, though I know from experience how bad that can be. But when we were allocated a four table on QM2 just as with you we went as soon as we boarded to the M.D. and were changed on the spot. You really should not have accepted a seating that did not suite you.

And you encounter arrogance on eight sitting tables as well.

David.

It is Cunard's Fault. We purposely asked to be on a table of 8. If 6 of them had been morons we could just ignore them but you can not on a table for 4. This was our first cruise and did not know the ropes. Believe me it will never happen again. This was to be a special cruise as it was our anniversary as well as my 65th birthday. It was marred by bad administration. Why is every body trying to make excuses for bad administration. There is no excuse and the more people defend it the more incensed I feel. It is not just the long wait to board, I am aware that getting 1800 bodies on board is quite a feat but after all this time Cunard could make it more pleasurable. By the time we boarded we had stood for nearly 4 hours without a drink. To put the icing on the cake Cunard have not responded with any sort of apology.

We booked our table for 6 or 8 when we booked our cruise months in advance. When we were put on a table for 4 we just thought it may be OK but no. Now we were polite and attentive to our table mates, manners dictate that you would not hurt anyone's feelings by asking for a change of table.

I disagree with this statement...if you were unhappy with your tablemates then you should've said something. It's not poor manners to want to enjoy your vacation. There quite possibly could've been people who wanted to move to a 4-top. Each table type (2tops, 4 tops, 8 tops) are limited in number so it's not possible to guarantee everyone they're preferred table type. Think of it like an airplane, though nobody likes it...somebody's got to sit in the center seats!

I could not offend anyone by saying I do not want to sit with you. To be fair he did have his good points but all said it was not what we booked. It was just another nail in the coffin of disasters. My main complaint is Cunard do not seem to care one way or another otherwise they would have sent an apology. It may sound like We did nothing but moan but we did enjoy our cruise and the waiters at our table saw our plight and I think we got a little extra attention. The Maitre D' certainly saw that we enjoyed our meals as he himself had problems with our table mate for absolutely no reason.

The Maitre D' ...had problems with our table mate for absolutely no reason.

Oh dear, looks like you ended up sitting with a complainer. How tedious! Perhaps next time you will know that its not uncommon for people to switch tables, and no offence is implied or inferred - if (in the unlikely event) you later bump into your former table mates - just say 'Hello, how are you - we bumped into some old friends who are on the ship so we're sitting with them'. No further explanation is required.

Peter

Victor, I don't in any way mean to make light of your experience. I have had similar experiences. Waiting in a queue can be excruciating for me. I have problems with feet knees and legs. My feet become very painful after standing for a bit- Marc's, too. I guess mine is too much weight teetering on too small a base! Likewise my knees. No idea the problem with my leg, but my left one goes numb- needles and pins sensation after about five minutes standing. I've seen a neurologist. I ran into this problem last night in home depot. We wanted to order some laminate. After waiting and looking at samples for half an hour, it seemed that everyone with knowledge of that department was busy at length with other customers. We left without making our purchase. I was in agony, and it ruined our plans for the weekend, and made a further mess of the house, with construction items out in the living room and hall, and now we have to wait another week to try again.

I find when facing situations like this, or like what you experienced, Victor, it is better not to dwell on it and to simply let it pass, else, it tends to color (or discolor) the rest of your time. Certainly, write a letter after (or complain then and there to someone who can perhaps institute a change) but to let it ruin the rest of my time? It took a lot of effort and maybe part of it was growing up and realizing which things were and which things weren't the end of the world- I mean for me- I could freak out about stuff that wouldn't bother anyone else when I was younger. As a result, I suffered greatly, and argued with anyone who suggested that my happiness was in my own hands, and that I could not control others, only my reaction to them. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done. I spent years in therapy learning these things, and I still have my moments. But over time, and with much practice and caring friends guiding the way, I have learned to roll with most of the punches, and I am much happier because of it.

Oh dear, I know this sounds snotty and holier than thou. I don't mean it to sound that way. I am only saying that it is better to accept the negative and move on, so as not to ruin the rest of your cruise. And also to say that I know that it isn't always that easy, but the more you try, the easier it becomes. Did that sound better?

Anyway, Victor, I am sorry you had such a bad time, and do hope that one bad experience will not sour you on cruising or Cunard. Sometimes I also find that I have built something up so much in my mind in anticipation that anything off from perfect is unacceptable to me!

You do have our sympathy. Honest. No on wants boorish company and long lines to ruin your holiday.

Karie,

Who feels most badly about your experiences and wishes there were some way to make things better. :(

I never spoke to him about our problems. Did not manage to get a word in. He was well into complaining before he got on the ship. No he did not inspire me to complain .

Why is it in this country when we get bad service and we complain we are thought of as trouble makers. We pay for a level of service and we should get it. I am not normally a complaining type, had it been just one thing we would have said OK things go wrong but it was a catalouge of things that for the first 2 days spoilt our cruise. If we do not complain about bad service then it will never be improved. I have only outlined the things that went wrong, it was like a west end farce from the time we checked in at the Hilton to 2 days into the cruise. I am not known for being a negative person and look on most situations with a laugh but this lot was to much even for me. Do not take me wrong we did enjoy the rest of the cruise and made many friends including ships staff. We were personally thanked for bringing a slice of entertainment to the cruise with our ballroom dancing. I started this thread because I was amazed that Cunard had not the decency to apologise for their shortfalls.

Sorry, Victor Meld, but spend a few moments and read Shakespeare's "Hamlet," Act III, scene ii. Please take some lessons from that, my friend.

The Prince of Denmark was a murderer, are you suggesting I should have done away with our dinner guest LOL or should I suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

Sorry but now is the winter of discontent.

Hi Karie.

thanks. The table guest I could cope with, have had many years dealing with his sort but rather would not have had to do so. That in itself did not spoil the cruise in fact the cruise was not spoilt but I feel I need to tell Cunard of their shortfalls in service. Beleive me if I failed in my duties I am told but I work hard to please so I do not get complaints.

Regards Graham

Archived