Luau in Oahu

Brittboy

• 3 weeks later...

I live on Oahu but haven't done a luau since the 80s. when I ask my local friends, they all recommend Germaine's. the food and entertainment are the best of the options available.

Polynesian Cultural Center is worth a day trip, but their Luau is not worth the money - unless you like feeling like cattle herded through a line for average food.

We did go to Germaine's, as I mentioned in a previous post.

We were staying at the Hale Koa in Waikiki and had to make a short walk to a bus stop in from of a hotel on the other side of the Hilton Hawaiian Village for a 4:15 pick up. It took about 10 minutes or so to get everyone checked in & on the bus. After making two more stops, we headed to the Luau site.

Thanks to the Friday afternoon traffic, we arrived at the luau site a few minutes after 6;00pm... just in time to take a few great photos of a truly picturesque sunset.

Along with our ticket, we each received three drink coupons worth $5.00 each... which was the exact same price for a drink if you purchased it from the cash bar. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong though, the drinks were pretty darned good. ;)

Following a little pre-dinner entertainment and the "uncovering of the emu ceremony"... dinner was served. The food was much better than I expected. The teriyaki beef was full of flavor, the Hawaiian chicken was moist & tender and the pork fell apart on your mouth. One combo I never would have considered was the macaroni-potato salad, which was excellent. Once everyone had a chance to go through the line, seconds were available for one and all.

Then the show began. From beginning to end, it was non-stop entertainment. Everyone did a great job and the fire dancers had everyone oohing and aahing.

Since I wanted to take photos, I picked up my gear and went over to the bar area, in the back-center of the venue and above the crowd. My vantage point allowed an unobstructed view of the stage and best of all, I wasn't blocking anyone else's view either.

Once the show was over, everyone headed back to our respective buses for the ride back to Waikiki, which only took about 25 minutes. Much faster on the way back.

All in all, I'd recommend Germaine's Luau... the show was well done, the food was really good and the drinks were above average!

Edited by azappraiser

Another vote for Germaine's. If you book on-line in advance you get a gift - we received a tote with a few things in it. They picked us up and dropped us off right by the pier. They made sure we were the first to be dropped off since we had an evening sail-away.

imagejpg1_zpsb750989c.jpg