Valletta overnight on cruise, help!

We will be in Valletta overnight from 7:00 a.m. Monday until 1:00 p.m. Tuesday. We have never been there before, I would love suggestions as to what to do with all of our time here! Many thanks!

Take the public busses. Visit Mdina see the walled city and then as you leave visit the Roman Villa just outside the walls. Beautiful mosaics in that house, I was impressed.

Take a different bus to the Blue Grotto, that's nice if the sun is shining and the sea isn't too rough. After visiting that walk the less than 1 mile to the temples at Hagar Qim.

Take another bus and go down to Marshaloxx fishing village for a lovely fish lunch along the harbor. Buy a lace tablecloth there as well in the marketplace.

Walk around Valetta in the evening, see the Co-Cathedral enjoy. Have a open air cafe dinner!

We will be in Valletta overnight from 7:00 a.m. Monday until 1:00 p.m. Tuesday. We have never been there before, I would love suggestions as to what to do with all of our time here! Many thanks!

Research the Hypogeum and see if it appeals to you. It's a very popular site, but has limited access.

http://www.maltacultureguide.com/index.php?page=article&article_id=24

I also agree with the above to arrange for time to Mdina. Also try to see the Mosta Dome. Very beautiful. And of course the major sites in Valletta itself. Well worth half the day.

Overnight in a decent city. Consider going out for a nice dinner and perhaps some evening entertainment. If you want to spend the big bucks head off your ship to a restaurant such as Rampila. Or perhaps dinner at Giannini. There are lots of good choices in and around Valletta.

As to the daytime, you have many choices. You should certainly go to Mdina for at least 2 or 3 hours (wear comfy walking shoes) which you can do cheaply if you simply take a local bus. On our last visit we rented a car for the day and drove all over the island to some of the more remote and beautiful areas....and loved every moment. There is a HoHo bus route that does cover much of the island.

We love overnights on cruises and have never understood why most simply spend their evening on the ship. Yes, you can argue that its paid for. But overnights are a great opportunity to sample the local cuisine and enjoy an evening out.

Hank

Thank you all!!!! You are giving me such great ideas!!!!! We will definitely go to Mdina. We will also have dinner ashore, we do this too Hank when we overnight in a port!!!

Sound like the HOHO may be a good way too see a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also take the lift to the Upper Barrakka Gardens if you're looking to stay close to the port. This takes you to the gardens and many streets to walk around with shops and restaurants.