La Romana, Dominican Republic with a 1-year old

coppergoddess

• 2 weeks later...
We are cruising on the Carnival Breeze in January with our 1 year old. The port that I am having the most difficulty with planning is La Romana. I would love to hear what others who have visited this port with a small child have done. Thanks!

Honestly I would stay on the ship, or do we what I did and leave kids, mine were 5 and 12, for a little while so I could check things out and it was one of the scariest trips off the ship for me imo.

They will tell you that you must have a plan for that port, originally our plan was to go to Dreams which is an all inclusive but DH just did not feel like going anywhere the day we were there so that is why I had to improvise.

I am hoping that when we go on the Vista in 2017 that port is removed and switched to Amber cove

In 2013 on the Conquest we went on a ship- sponsored cave trip. It was a 'tourist' cave, only walking. Then we were taken to a plaza that had souvenir stalls set up.

As a previous poster said it is a very scary place. I didn't feel safe at all in the plaza. Looked OK. The vibe had me on full alert.

FWIW we are people that like to wander. In other ports we would have had no problem with walking to the stores across the street, we stayed in the plaza.

Maybe there's a beach excursion?

I like staying on the ship. I wish we had stayed on the ship when dd was that age, but I still felt I needed to get off the ship, for some reason. Last week, I stayed on, dh got off, took dd to two ports just to the pier area to walk around.

I'd check what's offered, then decided what you want to do.