MIRACULOUS journey of the QE2 to Auckland in 2015

roscoe39

Unbelievably the old girl has miraculously and by stealth made her way from Dubai to Auckland New Zealand in the last few days and not only done so but been involved in a rescue.

full report and photos of the QE2 here in Auckland taken of her mysterious visit only a few days ago by our national newspaper here online at this link

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11409829

It was also printed in their hardcopy for those of us to read over our morning coffee.. (I almost choked on my muffin) (I know that would please some of you)

One of the world's most famous cruise liners offered to join a rescue mission after five fishermen ran aground in Auckland's Hauraki Gulf.

Skipper Noel Anderson was on board a recreational fishing vessel with three other adults and a child when the boat hit rocks near The Noises, northeast of Rakino Island, at 9pm on Friday night.

The group were on their way back to Half Moon Bay after a day fishing when the incident occurred.

The luxury cruise liner Queen Elizabeth II was leaving port when the distress signal was sent out at 9.07pm and offered to help, before the call was answered by Coastguard volunteers.

Sometimes i despair at modern newspaper reporting...

anybody else who wants to email them and tell them they can't do their research properly feel free.. knock yourself out.

Edited by roscoe39

Unbelievably the old girl has miraculously and by stealth made her way from Dubai to Auckland New Zealand in the last few days and not only done so but been involved in a rescue.

full report and photos of the QE2 here in Auckland taken of her mysterious visit only a few days ago by our national newspaper here online at this link

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11409829

It was also printed in their hardcopy for those of us to read over our morning coffee.. (I almost choked on my muffin) (I know that would please some of you)

One of the world's most famous cruise liners offered to join a rescue mission after five fishermen ran aground in Auckland's Hauraki Gulf.

Skipper Noel Anderson was on board a recreational fishing vessel with three other adults and a child when the boat hit rocks near The Noises, northeast of Rakino Island, at 9pm on Friday night.

The group were on their way back to Half Moon Bay after a day fishing when the incident occurred.

The luxury cruise liner Queen Elizabeth II was leaving port when the distress signal was sent out at 9.07pm and offered to help, before the call was answered by Coastguard volunteers.

Sometimes i despair at modern newspaper reporting...

anybody else who wants to email them and tell them they can't do their research properly feel free.. knock yourself out.

Roscoe, that has made me laugh. Thanks for posting.

Sadly website amended and mistake corrected.

Pity. Better as originally written.

Thanks for chuckle.

LOL....well my email to them was a bit blunt...unfortunately the quality of reporting in our national paper is a bit...shall we say...lapse of late. It continued a very in factual piece earlier in the week about her 600 book library and 3500 passenger list. I wonder if they will send someone around all the cafes and homes with a pen to correct all the printed copies?

sigh.....

fortunately i still have the original page on my laptop

QEII stands by to rescue stricken fishermen after boat runs aground

Queen Elizabeth II. Photo / NZH File

Queen Elizabeth II. Photo / NZH File

The volunteers, who were on board Lion Foundation Rescue and North Shore Rescue, were on the scene within 20 minutes.

Anderson wasn't sure how the incident happened but said the sea and weather conditions weren't an issue.

"I was tracking on my two GPSes and I still can't understand why I hit the rock.

"I had a track and global positioning chart and I also had another GPS beside that," he said.

The skipper was unaware of the Queen Elizabeth II's offer.

"My first priority was to the people on board and my son. I was worrying about where we were on the rocks, damage to the vessel, comms and where my lighting was," he said.

North Shore Rescue sent two volunteers on to the rocks to assess the situation. The four men and the child on board were shaken, anxious but unharmed. All five were wearing life jackets.

Coastguard operations manager Ray Burge said the skipper had acted calmly after the incident.

"It was a fantastic response by the volunteers who quickly got the situation under control," he said.

"The skipper had lifejackets for everyone and was able to make the distress call to get help.

"This makes a huge difference to our ability to respond and get the positive outcome after what was no doubt a frightening experience for those on board."

Anderson was extremely grateful to the Coastguard for their help.

"Coastguard have done excellent work and I take my hat off to them. They will be getting a very reasonable donation for their time and efforts," he said.

"They did everything they could and all my crew on board did what they were told."

Edited by roscoe39

LOL....well my email to them was a bit blunt...unfortunately the quality of reporting in our national paper is a bit...shall we say...lapse of late.
You should read UK national press. They would not know a fact if it hit them.
It continued a very in factual piece earlier in the week about her 600 book library and 3500 passenger list. I wonder if they will send someone around all the cafes and homes with a pen to correct all the printed copies?
Newspapers wonder why readership declining. Accuracy reporting would be start to stop decline. Thanks again.

Cheers.

Edited by sfb

I rarely read Cunard related articles in travel sections these days. The Australian papers are just as bad, often mistaking QE for QE2.

They also seem to get salient details about the ships wrong, including passenger numbers, amenities, etc.

I have often felt like suggesting papers like the Sydney Morning Herald sack their travel team and employ someone else (I will begrudgingly take on the burden if need be) to write some half decent travel articles.

If it isn't rehashed from the year before, then it's an abysmal junior staffer quick type that hasn't been proofread or fact checked.

If I want travel advice, I go to forums like this one. If I want to know something, at least ten people will provide information (and ten more will be on call to correct any errors in the first ten people's responses).

:)

I rarely read Cunard related articles in travel sections these days. The Australian papers are just as bad, often mistaking QE for QE2.

They also seem to get salient details about the ships wrong, including passenger numbers, amenities, etc.

I have often felt like suggesting papers like the Sydney Morning Herald sack their travel team and employ someone else (I will begrudgingly take on the burden if need be) to write some half decent travel articles.

If it isn't rehashed from the year before, then it's an abysmal junior staffer quick type that hasn't been proofread or fact checked.

If I want travel advice, I go to forums like this one. If I want to know something, at least ten people will provide information (and ten more will be on call to correct any errors in the first ten people's responses).

:)

lol my thoughts exactly. Thanks to everybody on this forum who's willing to offer advice for others and keep the forum alive and well. Even if it does feel like a playground sometimes. Everybodys input is valued.

Edited by roscoe39

OK, they corrected the name of the vessel, but is the QE really, "One of the world's most famous cruise liners..." ?

Cunard does like to use the phrase, "The most famous ocean liners in the world" even though only one of its three ships qualifies as such today. (I do admit that when I first read this thread title I wondered what the OP was drinking, smoking, or taking. :D)

Cunard does like to use the phrase, "The most famous ocean liners in the world" even though only one of its three ships qualifies as such today. (I do admit that when I first read this thread title I wondered what the OP was drinking, smoking, or taking. :D)

all three given the opportunity :D