NYC Disembarkation & Flight Times

DarCrav

For all the seasoned Transatlantic Cunarders:

My husband and I are doing back-to-back TAS in May and have sailed the QM2 before, but this time we are flying back to L.A. on the day the ship arrives. A discussion on a recent Roll Call got my nerves all atwitter: Will we be able to make a 1:15 pm flight out of JFK, or will that be cutting it close? Thanks for any information you can send our way...

My husband and I are doing back-to-back TAS in May and have sailed the QM2 before, but this time we are flying back to L.A. on the day the ship arrives. A discussion on a recent Roll Call got my nerves all atwitter: Will we be able to make a 1:15 pm flight out of JFK, or will that be cutting it close? Thanks for any information you can send our way...

Barring some unexpected delay, you should make your flight without problems. That being said you would not want to waste anytime making your way through the system.

There is always a certain risk factor when booking early flights out of NY after a TA, but we have done flights that departed around 1:00pm on 3 occasions with no problems. The Cunard airport coach has usually departed Brooklyn around 9:00am and we were at the airport by 11:30. Of course if there are any ship or traffic delays, you could be in for a very nervous morning.

You should be fine with a 1 pm flight. I have done it a number of times and my rule has been anytime after 1pm. from either LaGuardia or JFK. I might suggest that you may want to take a taxi to JFK if you have any concerns. However, usually, Cunard knows t your flight times and will book you one a bus to meet that schedule. A taxi eliminates any bus delay. Bon voyage

Hi DarCrav. What time do you need to be at the airport in advance of your fight - is it still two hours prior to take off for domestic flights? - If so, you would need to be at JFK by 11:15 am which most likely will happen, baring unforeseen circumstances - the bugaboo of travel. If you do self-disembarkation, you will be amongst the first off the ship. Get a cab at the port to wisk you to the airport. Or better yet, spend a night in NYC after you disembark :)

I'm not a seasoned Transatlantic cruiser (in fact, I have yet to take a TA), but I have disembarked 14 times in NYC. Each time was different. Gotta love the challenge;)

Cheers,

Salacia

I booked the Cunard transfer to JFK several years ago and when I got down into the terminal my suitcase was not in the right colour group and it took almost 1/2 hr. to find it. By the time I got outside the JFK bus had departed and I was told I had to wait for the next one which wouldn't be leaving for almost another hour.

I did make my flight but it was a really, really stressful day. As others have said anything can happen.

If you are able to do self-disembark you know you will have your bags in hand and can take a taxi. Two transfers will cost more than a taxi.

I booked the Cunard transfer to JFK several years ago and when I got down into the terminal my suitcase was not in the right colour group and it took almost 1/2 hr. to find it. By the time I got outside the JFK bus had departed and I was told I had to wait for the next one which wouldn't be leaving for almost another hour.

I did make my flight but it was a really, really stressful day. As others have said anything can happen.

If you are able to do self-disembark you know you will have your bags in hand and can take a taxi. Two transfers will cost more than a taxi.

I think you have identified one of the basic truths of cruising: if there are two of you, a taxi is a cheaper way to get to the airport (not to mention quicker and more comfortable) than line-arranged transfer. This seems to apply in every port, everywhere.

The consensus seems to be that if we want to keep our nerves at a minimum we should NOT take the Cunard transfer bus. That's ok with us because in the past we booked a car in advance and managed a quick getaway by taking our bags off ourselves. That's what we'll be doing this time too. We appreciate all the input, one and all!