Galveston...hotel near airport vs port?

Shortansweet

We will be cruising out of Galveston in March - our flight arrives around 4pm on the Saturday and we depart on the Sunday. Trying to decide between booking our hotel near the Houston (Bush) airport or in Galveston near the port. It's been years since we last cruised out of Galveston, so not sure which is the better option for restaurants and grabbing some wine before boarding! Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have cruised out of Galveston twice. The Island is really cool. lots to do... However, check out the prices first, this may shape your decision. For example. I am leaving on a March 5th cruise. I can stay up by BUSH airport for 110 a night (Marriott Courtyard).... The prices on the island seem to start around 300 dollar a night for the lower tier hotels. Last I saw, the courtyard on the Isalnd was 900 a night...

We're on the 3/5 cruise as well, aboard Breeze. We're staying after for a couple nights -- at the Courtyard Marriot, actually -- and are paying all of $129 per night for an oceanview king with a balcony. Granted that's for a Sunday and Monday night, but I doubt even a weekend is $900 per night. :-)

We booked on priceline for both our upcoming trip and our trip last year out of Galveston. Last year, I had booked a hotel with expedia, but when we got there, it was nasty. So we did priceline, 4 star hotel for around 129 a night and were at the Hotel Galvez. Worth every penny. This year we are staying at the San Luis; we did the same thing, just picked 4 star and the price.

Both hotels have free parking, and shuttle to the port. So it saves us even more.

I have cruised out of Galveston about 6 times, always used to stay at Galveston either San Luis ( which is a great hotel) or Hilton which is very nice, but about 2 years ago rates doubled and Hilton is close to 300 a night and requires a 2 night stay, so now we do a hotel by airport for about 100 a night. Will most likely do the same in April for next cruise. WE like the doubletree by Hobby nice hotel with restaurant and lounge

We are sailing out of Galveston in April. I have been watching hotels and they are expensive and many require 2-night stays.

I am having trouble finding anything less than $200 for our 1 night pre-cruise with a low-cost transfer to the cruiseport. I did find some lower pricing (in the high $150-190's) on the West side of Galveston, but then when I called these hotels/motels, the transfer to the cruiseport is $50! The only other option is a cab and I honestly do not want to pay a taxi cab meter because we can get stuck in traffic and I have heard that the traffic can get bad by the cruiseport.

I'm very disappointed at the pricing of hotels in Galveston for our cruise. Therefore, we'll be staying near the airport.

I have cruised out of Galveston about 6 times, always used to stay at Galveston either San Luis ( which is a great hotel) or Hilton which is very nice, but about 2 years ago rates doubled and Hilton is close to 300 a night and requires a 2 night stay, so now we do a hotel by airport for about 100 a night. Will most likely do the same in April for next cruise. WE like the doubletree by Hobby nice hotel with restaurant and lounge

Thanks for the tip on the Doubletree Hobby!

We're on the 3/5 cruise as well, aboard Breeze. We're staying after for a couple nights -- at the Courtyard Marriot, actually -- and are paying all of $129 per night for an oceanview king with a balcony. Granted that's for a Sunday and Monday night, but I doubt even a weekend is $900 per night. :-)

Your absolutely correct. It would not be $900 a night. I checked for March 4, the night before your cruise. It can't be booked for 1 night. It requires a 2 night stay at $227 per night. So it would cost $454 plus taxes. That 2 night requirement it why a lot people are deciding to stay near the airport. In fact all 3 Marriott properties on the island and the one in Texas City are only available with a 2 night stay.