More Advice on Ports of Civitavecchia & Livorno - Car Rental

snagio

Hi Again, Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on where would be good to visit from ports of Civitavecchia & Livorno, I decided to visit Capri from Naples got some good advice from previous post, but decided to Hire a car in ports of Civitavecchia & Livorno, we are in both ports most of the day with Norwegian Epic beginning of July, booked through rentalcars.com one rental was with Avis and other with Budget, I took out excess damage waiver insurance on separate policy, we don't plan on doing too much, just wondered if anyone had any suggestions on best places to visit from each port?

Thanks in advance :)

Well, first we would suggest a lot of caution when renting a car in Livorno. Unless you have rented from an agency that guarantees to deliver your car to the port (and allow you to drop at the port) you will find yourself having to shell-out about 50 Euros just for taxis to get to your car....and that assumes you can even get a taxi to do that short haul. So in Livorno we often recommend using the local Hertz franchisee which is called Sifracar (Sifracar.com). They charge a little more but will have your car waiting when you get off the ship thus saving you lots of time and taxi fares. The problem is less acute in Civatavecchia since you can get a free shuttle bus to the port exit (now at a new location further from the center of town).

I hesitate to give advice on where to go since there are so many places and everyone has different taste. But as a quick primer, from Livorno you can drive to places like Pisa, Lucca, San Gimignano, Colle val d'Elsa, Volterra, Riomaggiore (for Cinque Terre), Florence, the S222 wine road (between Florence and Siena), etc. As to Civitavecchia we do not recommend driving into Rome. But you can go to Orvieto, Tivoli, Ostia Antica, and quite a few other areas. If you do want to go to Rome we strongly suggest forgetting a rental car and simply take the train.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks for that, will definitely look into that further and either change to that rental company or ditch the car idea there luckily it has free cancelation so can change plan and maybe look at train to Rome trouble is not knowing what to do ;)

Hi again I've just checked my rental voucher again, it does state Livorno Port for collection and drop off, Porto Di Livorno-Stazione Marittima, Calata Carrara, Livorno, Italy, 57100.

It looks to be at the port? Or is that what you mean it's not close?

One other thing I keep thinking of, are there any good beaches near either port to do some snorkelling, got a new mask that has a holder on top to hold under water camera want to try out :D

Edited by snagio

Hi again I've just checked my rental voucher again, it does state Livorno Port for collection and drop off, Porto Di Livorno-Stazione Marittima, Calata Carrara, Livorno, Italy, 57100.

When we were last in Livorno, the rental cars were right there on the pier.

• 1 month later...

Hi again all, just thought should comment on my post having been on our cruise in case would help anyone else:

I used a comparison site rentalcars here in the UK for two rentals one in civitevechia and other in Livorno both where easy enough, at civitevechia you got off the port bus our rental was with budget rent a car this was literally over the road and at Livorno was even better we booked Avis and you didn't even have to board a port bus the rental companies seeking where in the building outside of the ship and cars parked next to it - we drove out of the port and straight back to the ship, highly recommended if your a confident driver meaning experienced with EU roads, not to dissimilar to Spanish roads.

Although one thing to watch out for they sneakily asked if I wanted excess insurance I said no as I had taken out my own policy to cover this 'much cheaper', on our return found they charged this, when I looked at paperwork they pointed me to sign and initial the agreement and I'd agreed to the excess insurance although knew verbally wasn't what was said!

I took this up with the broker I used who got in touch with the company, I have now been refunded, just watch what your initialing!

Ok, I will venture a guess based on a situation that happened to us about 10 years ago. If somebody has contrary info we hope they quickly jump in. The Port of Livorno has very strict rules that prohibit cruise ship passengers from walking within the port or walking from the cruise ship piers to the port entrance. Right by the port entrance (main gate) there is a building which some call the Port Shopping Center (although there are few shops). Over the years some of the local rental car companies have used this building (one used to have an office in the place) and it is accessible to drivers because it is right outside the secure zone of the port. So a few years ago we reserved a car for pick up at the port and we were told to go to this building to get the car. So we get off our ship and are told we are not allowed to walk to this building (which was about a 1 mile walk within the port). We asked about a shuttle bus and were told none were operating within the port. We then asked the cruise ship (it was a Princess cruise) shuttle bus driver (these are the buses that will take folks to downtown Livorno for a fee) if he would drop us at the port entrance. We were told that the Port regulations prohibited him from dropping us. So having run out of all options we ask a taxi to run us over to the rental car office (1 mile away). Several taxi drivers just laughed at us and one driver finally agreed to run us to the port entrance for 20 Euros! This was about a 2 minute drive!

To continue this tale of woe, later that day we returned the car to the proper locating buy the port entrance. The our passengers (another couple) and us decided to walk to our Princess ship. During our walk through the port (which broke lots of rules) we were stopped by multiple security folks and the police. We simply shrugged, made it clear we spoke no Italian, and just kept walking. Once we neared the ship we simply ducked under the Police barriers and walked onto the ship while several policeman just stared. It was a fun day :).

So, my advice to you is to ask your rental car agency for very specific instructions on where in the port you can get your car. If they will deliver to your ship then you are in good shape. Otherwise, ..........good luck. If they do say that you have to get your car at that building near the entrance then ask if they can send a car to shuttle you over to their office.

Hank

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I thought I'd resurrect this older post, since I'm looking to rent a car in Livorno next month in order to drive to Volterra...

Any more recent experiences anyone can share?

Thanks!

Hi my family and I are planning on renting a car from Livorno port at the end of August. I found your post on this forum. How was your cruise? Did you rent a car from Livorno? Sorry for all the questions. Who did you use? How much? Where did you pick up the car from? Anything else you could help a fellow cruiser would be can. Ta. Kevin

• 6 months later...
Hi my family and I are planning on renting a car from Livorno port at the end of August. I found your post on this forum. How was your cruise? Did you rent a car from Livorno? Sorry for all the questions. Who did you use? How much? Where did you pick up the car from? Anything else you could help a fellow cruiser would be can. Ta. Kevin

Hi Kevin! Our cruise was wonderful! I booked a car right from inside the Port of Livorno through Sifracar (per previous advice on this forum). The car was parked within the port, literally steps from the ship. We had to rent an automatic so it was a bit more expensive since they mainly have manuals. Below is the pricing for the fleet as it was for June 29th of 2016. Since you'll be there the end of August, I'm not sure how much the prices will fluctuate.

- Small car (5 seats) € 90,00

- Small automatic car (5 seats) € 100,00

- Medium compact car (5 seats) or stationwagon € 110,00

- New Peugeot 3008 automatic € 120,00-

Mercedes Class A automatic €120,00- - Minivan

(7 seats) € 160,00- Minibus (9 seats) €

The prices include: unlimited mileage, tax, basic

insurance and delivery/collection to/from the port.

If you think you need it, we can also give you a gps, the

price is €10,00+ tax (22%) for the day. It speaks your

language and is already pre-programmed to reach Florence,

Pisa, Lucca, San Gimignano, Siena, etc.. and take you back

to the boat.

Their information is: www.sifracar.com or e-mail info@sifracar.compartita

Good luck!

I should add: I was VERY happy I had booked this car online with Sifracar in advance. We had a 10-month old baby and a 6 year old, so we needed a 4-door (to accommodate carseats), and as I mentioned previously, an automatic. Also something with a large enough trunk to fit our stroller.

Perhaps if you're family doesn't require so many specifics, you can have better luck renting without a reservation? But I usually plan out and book everything I can in advance. I'm kind of Type A like that! :p

Does anyone know if Hertz points can be used for free rentals with Sifracar since they are affiliated?

They are a privately owned Hertz franchisee..so we doubt if they will take any of your points. But why not ask them (they are quite friendly). Their direct e-mail is nfo@sifracar.com. If you prefer, you can call them on the phone (the number is on their own web site) but no guarantee that one of their English speaking folks will be on the other end.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...