QE2 - Caronia or Princess?

m.w.

Hi folks. My first post, so please be gentle!

We've never been on a cruise before, but love the look and style of the QE2 so are pushing the boat out, so to speak, whilst we still have the chance.

The cost of this cruise is considerably greater (probably double or more) than we normally spend on a holiday so money is an issue, although a not insurmountable one.

We are looking at either P2 or C2 classes. Is P2 worth the extra?

Also, we have been surfing the net and it looks as though it is considerably cheaper to book our trip in the US rather than (our native) England. Is there any reason why we shouldn't do that?

Many thanks and also thanks for the guidance we've already received from this site :)

Hi folks. My first post, so please be gentle!

We've never been on a cruise before, but love the look and style of the QE2 so are pushing the boat out, so to speak, whilst we still have the chance.

The cost of this cruise is considerably greater (probably double or more) than we normally spend on a holiday so money is an issue, although a not insurmountable one.

We are looking at either P2 or C2 classes. Is P2 worth the extra?

It depends on the length of the cruise. And I'd say it depends on your preferences, but as you haven't been on cruises, I can only tell you what I like.

For most of the cruises, it's probably not worth the extra money for a P cabin, especially now when they're charging premium prices.

The difference is that the P2 will be a larger cabin with a walk-in closet and more drawer space. But Caronia cabins have plenty of drawer space and two or three closets. Depending on which cabin you end up getting, the P may be in a more desirable location (higher deck or closer to midships). Beds are comfortable in all cabins, so that isn't an issue. I should point out that QE2 has lots of lovely public space, so you may not spend a lot of time in your cabin. People get out and about and mingle on QE2.

I have been in all dining levels on QE2 except Queens Grill (are you listening upgrade fairy???). The big advantage of Caronia over Mauretania is the single seating--you can go in any time between 7 and 9 PM. That makes Caronia worth the money to me. I happen to like the Caronia dining room better, as it is larger and I like the decor better. The menu in Caronia and Princess/Britannia is basically the same, but P/B gets one more main course as a rule, and most nights you have an extra list of 'off menu' items that you can order. I've always liked the food in Caronia, and don't see the extra items as worth the extra price of the P cabin.

I have been in P cabins a few times because of upgrades and I paid for a P cabin once because I was late booking and all the C's were sold. I would not refuse an upgrade to a P, but if a good C is available, I would be happy in a C. Hope this is helpful. You really need to look at deck plans to see where the different cabins are, and talk to a good travel agent who knows QE2.

Also, we have been surfing the net and it looks as though it is considerably cheaper to book our trip in the US rather than (our native) England. Is there any reason why we shouldn't do that?

Many thanks and also thanks for the guidance we've already received from this site :)

You can book through travel agents in the US. Lots of people from the UK do. We aren't allowed to endorse specific travel agents on CC, but do some more looking on the net. Or, if you're willing to post an email address, people will contact you to tell you who they use and like.

Lots of voyages are already sold out, so do some more research and book soon. Good luck!

Kathy

One more thing I should add--you cabin grade determines only where you sleep and eat. All areas on the ship, with the exception of one bar, are available to all passengers. You don't wear a label identifying you as a C or P passenger, and when you meet people, you will not be judged by the cabin you're in (if anyone even bothers to ask).

Kathy

Let me add I just made final payment on my QE2 crossing for 4-12008 (That's April 12th) While chatting with Cunard Reservations, I joked about upgrading to Queens Grill, Then I said, actually, I'd be perfectly happy in the Caronia cabin I am in! They are so quirky and interesting that I would just as soon keep my Caronia. (But I wouldn't mind being upgraded on the QM2 for the bathtub and large walk-in closet.)

This will be my first (and no doubt only) trip on the QE2, but I am so excited about the wonderful cabin I have got. I have seen detailed plans and a very good description of the cabin. I figure you can get "nice" cabins on any cruise ship. The QE2 has one-of-a-kind cabins, often in the lower grades, that you cannot experience today anywhere else! So go for it, Don't be afraid to take a lower grade cabin, If you start high, you will never know the "other"side. Most people start low and move up, because they get spoiled and don't want to do with less. But by the next or the next cruise, often their circumstances have improved so they can afford a little bit better. (as happened with us over the 13 years we have been doing this.) I am perfectly happy to stay in m Caronia Cabin this trip!

Karie

Looks forward with great expectation

P.S. BTW, for anyone looking to get on this "sold out" trip. there are a few M4s, M5s and M7s available. They will be sold as Guarantees. They are upper and lower berth, but what the heck! You can call Cunard directly or your agent can call Cunard, but they cannot be booked in Polar Online reservation system, as it is considered the final leg of the world Cruise, therefore, it says it has already sailed!

Perhaps I may add a couple of words....

Please remember that Kathy and I have experience of RMS Queen Elizabeth 2, whereas Karie has never set foot on the ship.

The advantages of Grill dining are that you will receive a more personal style of service, with more experienced waiting staff. Not to say Caronia is poor at all. The big difference is, as Kathy says, is the opportunity to order off menu that comes in the Grills, and the wider menu that you get with the benefit of the A la Carte menu.

Cabin grades Q4 to C1 are broadly similar - all are ex-first class cabins. The big difference between these cabins and a C2 is that the C2 has two single beds, whereas C1 and above allow you to have the beds to be put together to make a double bed. You'll be the best to judge how important that is to you.

Kathy is quite right to say that the restaurant that you dine in matters little when you are not eating. No-one will know - or more importantly - care.

I'm not, of course, sure of your prices and your resources, but either a C2 or a P2 will allow you access to the greatest ship afloat. The higher the grade of cabin, the better the position (as a rule) but this rather depends on how much you think sea sickness may be a problem - if it is the nearer the midships you are the better.

Go for it. RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 is wonderful, and she is very limited in terms of her future life.

Matthew

PS - it is worth pointing out that (as so often) Karie has her facts wrong about the M4 cabins and down. M4 is an inside cabin, but with two lower berths. I am not an expert on the lowest grades, but suggest that you consult the brochure if this is something that interests either you or anyone else reading this thread.

Perhaps I may add a couple of words....

Please remember that Kathy and I have experience of RMS Queen Elizabeth 2, whereas Karie has never set foot on the ship.

obviously negating everything I have just said.

I apologize for my stupidity. I believe I did mention it will be my first time on board her and I am looking forward to the quirkiness of some of the lower cabins that are so legend.

Obviously all of those people have lied to me, and all of those pictures and plans must have been photoshopped. Not to mention the several books I have on her, the benefit of a bit of reading several cruise forums and talking to numerous people who have sailed on her and do not feel that they can only enjoy her if they pay top dollar to sail on her.

PS - it is worth pointing out that (as so often) Karie has her facts wrong about the M4 cabins and down. M4 is an inside cabin, but with two lower berths. I am not an expert on the lowest grades, but suggest that you consult the brochure if this is something that interests either you or anyone else reading this thread.

Again, I apologize. I did not look this up. Silly me, I let Cunard Reservations agent tell me this and took what she said as gospel. While I reacted to her at first saying something about single cabins, (thinking from memory that it was thus- Not from experience mind you, but from other sources) then she mentioned something about "of course you know these are upper and lower berths." She was probably referring only to the M5 and M7. I apologize for misleading anyone with my sheer stupidity and will ask the host to delete my post if you truly feel that it is that egregious.

I was actually rather excited to learn there were cabins available as I knew that a few people had looked into going on this sailing and were disappointed to learn it was sold out. I mentioned they should wait, as final payments in the US were to be due soon, and there might be some cancellations. It was not my intention to mislead anyone or to set myself up as any kind of expert. As has been pointed out so succinctly, I am not. Not by any stretch of the imagination. I am sure Matthew is much more knowledgeable about those M inside cabins than I am. He has no doubt seen a few on cabin cavalcade. I have not. Yet. I let my excitement about finding out there were a few cabins open and wanting to share that news for the benefit of a few friends who had mentioned their disappointment that I let my excitement get the best of me. I suppose I should have kept that information to myself. I guess instead of imparting what I thought was good news, I am shamed that I have lead people astray.

Yes, no doubt it is most worth pointing that out. (Although just how much it's worth, I am not quite certain.) I have been duly publicly shamed and will go hang my head for it.

Good night,

Sincerely,

Karie L Parker

Again, I apologize. I did not look this up. Silly me, I let Cunard Reservations agent tell me this and took what she said as gospel. While I reacted to her at first saying something about single cabins, (thinking from memory that it was thus- Not from experience mind you, but from other sources) then she mentioned something about "of course you know these are upper and lower berths." She was probably referring only to the M5 and M7. I apologize for misleading anyone with my sheer stupidity and will ask the host to delete my post if you truly feel that it is that egregious.

M5 cabins aren't bunks either, we were booked in one, but have since been moved. I actually visited the cabin, so I know that it definitely did not have bunks :D

I understand that M6 and M7 cabins are the ones with bunks.

Whether one chooses a P cabin over a C cabin is dependent on what one is looking for in terms of size and comfort and what one's price threshhold is.

I've only sailed on the QE2 once so that hardly makes me an expert and I do agree that planning a sailing on her is more complex than rocket science. This is because of all those quirky cabins where sizes and shapes can be completely all over the map even within a similar category. Be prepared to do a lot of research or do find a TA who knows the ship intimately.

Okay on to the original question. My understanding is that the C2 category (of which the OP is contemplating) and upwards is where the wood panelling can be found in the cabins and all have a bath and shower as opposed to just a shower which is the norm in some of the lower categories. (I am not quite sure where the dividing line on the shower versus tub is but I am sure some one will speak up on that?) The C1 category - which you might want to consider but could already be sold out - is the so called top line of the Caronia cabins. Not only do you get the niceties of the C2 category but there are walk-in closets. I agree with Kathy in that there was definitely lots of drawer space. It was the first time ever we unpacked everything and still had a row of drawers sit empty. I had the fortune of having a C1 cabin on my only sailing to date and embraced it as my favourite cabin on any ship I have been on - despite the porthole in lieu of a window or the lack of a balcony.

Would I pay extra for the Princess Grill? Hmmmmmm! If I had the money it may be nice. The Caronia Restaurant is single seating just like the Grills. P2 cabins are slightly bigger and you get a few extra personal touches you don't get for being one of the masses. Whether or not the "extras" are worth the extra costs you'll incur is something each has to decide on their own. Hey, I'd love to try out the P accomodations but not sure myself if its worth it. Then again I could end up trying it once and say I'll never go back. As Kathy mentioned, its a personal decision and I was very happy in my Caronia cabin and the service in the Caronia Restaurant.

David - Waving hello to Annette!

when i went in july i was in a c4.

my baby came with me (free of charge) but has to be registered as a passanger obviously, and therefore has to be allocated a bunk! this means i will always get one of the biggest cabins in the class i book until he is two because they have to put us in a 3 or 4 person cabin:)

the caronia restaurant was beautiful and in my opinion the nicest looking on the ship. i cannot comment on grill food but what matthew says will be right.

glenn.

Thanks for the comments so far.

The trip we are planning will be on the Land of the Midnight Sun cruise leaving Southampton on 2 June for 13 nights. I've always fancied seeing what Slartibartfast did to the fjords!

I've never really fancied cruising, to be honest; smaller boats are more our thing (Turkish gulets anyone?). The thought of a 'party boat' in the Caribbean fills me with horror, but the QE2 looks special and I like the style and bygone era aspect to it. We had hoped to do Concorde one way over the Atlantic and the QE2 the other for a landmark birthday, but Concorde stopped flying before we had the chance. Anyway, the chances are that this will be our only cruise for the foreseeable future (unless we get the bug) so we want to 'get it right' or as much as you can when you are stepping into the unknown.

We'd prefer a double bed and are good sailors and don't get sick. All of the C1 class cabins have gone. The lack of a bath isn't the end of the world. We like good food (who doesn't!) but although we often eat in nice restaurants, I wouldn't say we are gourmets. I wouldn't go for a Mauretania cabin because I don't like the idea of two dinner sittings and, as we are not especially outgoing, I'm not sure we'd want to share a table with strangers, even if they wouldn't be strangers for long.

The difference in price between P2 and C2 is about £1,000. Not the end of the world if it is worth the extra, but then again that's a couple of quite nice weekends away. Also, if we do decide on Caronia class, what is the difference between C2 and C3?

Any more thoughts would be very helpful.

Also are there any particular cabins that come recommended or are to be avoided in either grade?

Hi, M.W.Please be careful if you book through a US Travel agent. A couple of years ago a family from Australia did just that and had to pay an extra $1500 upon checkin at the port. The cruise line explained that the price they paid was for North America only. They had to pay or no cruise.

My question, were I to travel on the QE2 again (unlikely) would be to consider choosing between Mauretania and Princess Grill. I have only sailed in Caronia once (and Princess Grill never) but did not find the food or service in Caronia any better than Mauretania (in some aspects worse) and personally I much prefer the decoration of the Mauretania restaurant. The 'single sitting' dining is important to some - but since I tend to dine at fairly regular hours anyway have never found the 'set dining times' an issue - and there is little value in keeping the same wait staff/table if their service is indifferent. So, if I wanted to 'push the boat out' I'd go in Princess Grill - and if not, I'd be perfectly happy in Mauretania. And it will be the quirkiest cabin you'll ever sail in!

Peter

Does anyone have a link to the very useful website showing the dimensions of all the QE2 cabins for the benefit of the OP? It's been mentioned on here quite a few times in the past, and I thought I had it bookmarked, but can't find it.

Thanks, Mary

Mary: There is a new thread this morning that has the link--Thread is titled something about selecting cabin on QE2.

Bettie

Does anyone have a link to the very useful website showing the dimensions of all the QE2 cabins for the benefit of the OP? It's been mentioned on here quite a few times in the past, and I thought I had it bookmarked, but can't find it.

Thanks, Mary

To answer my own question, John Paul Conti kindly posted it on another thread while I was busy catching up with today's boards: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=688460

Mary

Thanks, Mary

Here is the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=688460

There are several. One is

http://www.qe2-cruises.us/qe_2_cruises/qe2_deck_plans_and_categories_queens_grill.htm

P or C ?

First of all many passengers of both grades have reported their satisfaction.

You cannot do anything wrong on your first cruise, m.w., once you have chosen to sail with this magnificent ship.

Nevertheless there are differences. The food choice is much wider in the Grills. On my last cruise somebody aked me for my Princess Grill menus to compare them with the lower grade ones. We found out that almost every night I had an item (appetizer, main course or dessert) which was not offered in the Caronia. Several times even the extended choice on the menu was not that tempting, such that the a la carte and off the menu options were used. Yet, if I had not been in the Princess, I certainly would not have left the restaurant hungry either.

Service and presentation are better in the Grills. There are for example seperate dessert menus. Other benefits of a P grade booking include priority boarding and the use of the Queens Grill Lounge.

In my opinion single seating and having the same table and waiters for all meals is worth a surcharge for Caronia over Mauretania. The extended service and choices in the Grills are worth another surcharge.

Yet there is certainly a point were the extra value does not justify the higher price. Where this point is for you, only you can know.

Enjoy the QE2!

My question, were I to travel on the QE2 again (unlikely) would be to consider choosing between Mauretania and Princess Grill. I have only sailed in Caronia once (and Princess Grill never) but did not find the food or service in Caronia any better than Mauretania (in some aspects worse) and personally I much prefer the decoration of the Mauretania restaurant. The 'single sitting' dining is important to some - but since I tend to dine at fairly regular hours anyway have never found the 'set dining times' an issue - and there is little value in keeping the same wait staff/table if their service is indifferent. So, if I wanted to 'push the boat out' I'd go in Princess Grill - and if not, I'd be perfectly happy in Mauretania. And it will be the quirkiest cabin you'll ever sail in!

Peter

Yes, the Mauretania is a beautiful dining room. After the refit in which it was poshed up, that became the Caronia. We ate in there on one cruise, and it was lovely. (They made it pretty for people paying more money?) The Mauretania was then in what is now Caronia, which explains why there's a huge model of the Mauretania outside the Caronia restaurant.

After about a year, they had to face the fact that Mauretania just didn't work in that space [the space that is now Caronia], something to do with pantry space and running out of plates in second seating, I believe. So They swapped the dining space back. I've only been in Mauretania once since then, and I agree that the food was fine. For me, the single seating is worth the cost. But as experienced QE2 fans have said, it depends on what you want and what you value personally.

And to the OP, I do want to say that you should think about a large table. Part of the traditional cruising experience is sitting with "friends you haven't met yet." The people who choose large tables are happy to make new acquaintances, and you'll be likely to meet some cruise veterans who might give you some good tips on making the most of your trip. We always ask for a large table, and in 35+ sailings (most on Cunard), we've met only two people we didn't particularly care for, but always had others at the table whose company we enjoyed a great deal.

Also to OP, if you read other threads and see comments about "steerage," please understand that many of us (myself included) began their experiences on QE2 in the cheaper cabins and worked our way up. We remember our time in "steerage" with affection, not disdain.

Finally, if Midnight Sun is what you're thinking about, DO IT. I've done it twice and it's a wonderful cruise. Best scenery I've ever seen.

Kathy

Although we're brand new to Cunard, we've done a few other sailings and I absolutely echo what Kathy just said - joining folks at dinner and meeting new people is an important, and enjoyable, part of the cruising experience.

But now, that leads me to a question....in Caronia dining, is one at the same table the whole cruise? Or is the choice to join a larger table or dine alone....offered each night? (I'm guessing/hoping that since it's open seating, the answer is the latter....)

We are C2 for our first (and only!) QE2 voyage - her last WB crossing to NYC in October. So my thanks for an informative thread here; feel like I'm learning a lot.

Although we're brand new to Cunard, we've done a few other sailings and I absolutely echo what Kathy just said - joining folks at dinner and meeting new people is an important, and enjoyable, part of the cruising experience.

But now, that leads me to a question....in Caronia dining, is one at the same table the whole cruise? Or is the choice to join a larger table or dine alone....offered each night? (I'm guessing/hoping that since it's open seating, the answer is the latter....)

We are C2 for our first (and only!) QE2 voyage - her last WB crossing to NYC in October. So my thanks for an informative thread here; feel like I'm learning a lot.

It's the same table every night. The time is flexible, but you have your same table waiting there for you for every meal, even breakfast and lunch.

If you haven't done so already, check out the roll call for this voyage.

Kathy

It's the same table every night. The time is flexible

And this is a potential pitfall of 'single seating' - if you are at a table with others. When I dined on Caronia on the first evening everyone at the table agreed to dine at 8 (so we effectively ended up with a self-imposed 'timed dining') - but thats better than the alternative when people show up at different times throughout dinner - some are on starters as others are on coffee.......

Peter

Archived