June or August? Port or Aft?

romath

Ok, we have finally settled on the Norwegian Pearl to Alaska for next summer. For those who have done Alaska before, do you recommend end of June or Mid August? And, would you take an Aft balcony or a Port balcony?

Thanks!!

Robin

I prefer May (less crowded, less rain, snow top mountains, baby animals, etc)... so I would have to say June over August (more mosquitos in August too).

I would 100% take an aft balcony to have the full 180 view.... when just port or starboard you miss out if the whales are on the other side! I'll be on the Pearl May 13th, fourth time back to Alaska and so can't wait!

I prefer May (less crowded, less rain, snow top mountains, baby animals, etc)... so I would have to say June over August (more mosquitos in August too).

I would 100% take an aft balcony to have the full 180 view.... when just port or starboard you miss out if the whales are on the other side! I'll be on the Pearl May 13th, fourth time back to Alaska and so can't wait!

I believe mosquitoes are worse early in the season.

Well,May isn't an option since our kids will still be in school. I should have also mentioned regarding the aft vs.port that the aft cabin is about 200 sq.ft. smaller than the port side cabin. The deck is bigger on the aft though. We figure the kids will only be in their inside quad for sleeping (it is tiny!) and will spend most of the "cabin" time in with us. The benefit of the port side suite is 2 bedrooms and 2 baths (though only hubby and I will sleep there, the extra bath could be good for getting ready as we have two teen girls), and the extra 200 sq. ft. of just space. The benefit of the aft is the bigger deck and the aft view. Yet, I think we could still all hang in there...it's about 300 sq.ft. (that may include deck, I forget). Does that change any opinions on the port or aft side deck?

In regards to mosquito's, any definitive answer as to when they are worst?

For excursions I'm thinking Capt. Larry in Juneau and the Glacier Safari in Skagway.

Thanks,

Robin

Well,May isn't an option since our kids will still be in school. I should have also mentioned regarding the aft vs.port that the aft cabin is about 200 sq.ft. smaller than the port side cabin. The deck is bigger on the aft though. We figure the kids will only be in their inside quad for sleeping (it is tiny!) and will spend most of the "cabin" time in with us. The benefit of the port side suite is 2 bedrooms and 2 baths (though only hubby and I will sleep there, the extra bath could be good for getting ready as we have two teen girls), and the extra 200 sq. ft. of just space. The benefit of the aft is the bigger deck and the aft view. Yet, I think we could still all hang in there...it's about 300 sq.ft. (that may include deck, I forget). Does that change any opinions on the port or aft side deck?

In regards to mosquito's, any definitive answer as to when they are worst?

For excursions I'm thinking Capt. Larry in Juneau and the Glacier Safari in Skagway.

Thanks,

Robin

Mosquitoes shouldn't be a problem at all on a roundtrip cruise. It would be different if you were planning on camping in Denali, etc.

Here's another thread about mosquitoes: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=383776&highlight=mosquito

I would recommend going in May over August. It will be a little less crowded then.

In terms of your other question, think you meant port vs starboard. Aft is the rear of the ship, port is the left side of the ship and starboard is the right side of the ship. If you are doing an inside passage I wouldn't worry which side you are on. Ideally try to get mid deck.

Keith

I would recommend going in May over August. It will be a little less crowded then.

In terms of your other question, think you meant port vs starboard. Aft is the rear of the ship, port is the left side of the ship and starboard is the right side of the ship. If you are doing an inside passage I wouldn't worry which side you are on. Ideally try to get mid deck.

Keith

As I mentioned, May isn't an option due to our kids being in school. It's either mid to late June or early-mid August. :)

And, I did mean port vs. aft. I've heard aft cabins are great for an alaskan cruise. The other recommendation I heard Budget Queen make is for port side, I think it's for the way most ships go into Glacier Bay. :) But, I could be wrong. That's why I was asking for recommendations.

Robin

Robin, sorry I had misread your original question.

Personally I would prefer June over August. You will have the same amount of crowds but I like to go to Alaska earlier in the season.

I think the port side would be great. For Glaciar Bay I would recommend going on the top deck where most people would be. You will see more from being there and since there likely will be a guide you will here them being up there.

If you have options on a cabin, I always recommend middle of the deck.

Sometimes that's not an option as on some cruise ships certain categories are always in the aft but overall if you have a choice I would go with the port side.

Don't wait long to book so that you have the best choice.

Keith

Archived