Kids meal in cagney's

cruisinmeme

i read somewhere if children order off kids menu it is free. How can that be? The kids menu has the shrimp cocktail, crab cakes, salad, 5 oz. Filet. Dessert.

Awesome if this is true, but I thought it would be Mac and cheese, nuggets, etc

Children 3 and under are always free. Children (4-12) ordering off the regular children's menu are free. Ordering off the specialty restaurant children's menu is 1/2 price.

Edited by Hopes4

Why dine at Cagney's with children?

Because some children enjoy dressing up and eating out at a nice restaurant. Some children enjoy trying new foods. Some children behave totally appropriate in specialty restaurants.

Some parents really like to spend as much time with their children while they are young because they grow up so fast.

Children are passengers same as everyone else on the ship. They deserve more than chicken nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs if they so choose.

If my 3 year old dines off the Cagney's (or other speciality restaurant) children's menu' date=' is she still free, or would we pay the half price? She's a great eater and loves trying new things, but I'm curious what the protocol is for that.[/quote']

If you order a meal off the specialty kids menu for her, you will pay for it.

I think the portions are big enough that you can order of the regular kids menu for a 3 year old and let her sample everything that you order.

If my 3 year old dines off the Cagney's (or other speciality restaurant) children's menu' date=' is she still free, or would we pay the half price? She's a great eater and loves trying new things, but I'm curious what the protocol is for that.[/quote']

I would assume that "always free" means just that.

http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/DiningGuide_08302012.pdf

Check out the bottom left corner.

Edited by Hopes4

Why dine at Cagney's with children?

That's a pretty broad statement...

My sis' kids, now 22 & 15 have been enjoying fine cuisine since they were small. Niece prefers asparagus to fries and snacks on grape tomatoes and edamame.

They were always well behaved too.

You can't lump all children together just like you can't all adults.

Because some children enjoy dressing up and eating out at a nice restaurant. Some children enjoy trying new foods. Some children behave totally appropriate in specialty restaurants.

Some parents really like to spend as much time with their children while they are young because they grow up so fast.

Children are passengers same as everyone else on the ship. They deserve more than chicken nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs if they so choose.

Amen, Amen, Amen!!!!

To play devil's advocate here, the poster did not say "why would you bring children to Cagneys, the don't belong there" It is quite possible the poster meant no disrespect to children at all. Many couples (myself included) rarely dine out together, the poster might be thinking it would be a wonderful opportunity for a couple to have a lovely dinner and each others undivided attention.

Personally, my children would not want to sit that long so you wouldn't see them there, but well behaved children are a joy to see anywhere. (Well, not at an adult comedy show, but that's a whole other issue ;))

I am one of those moms that indeed brought her son to eat at Cagneys *gasp*! His meal was 1/2 price . It was the best meal we had on the ship. Not only because of the food, but the service is beyond anything we had ever experienced. To the point that when our meals came, the waiter put the napkin on Tyler and then when I started to cut up his steak for him, I was told to enjoy my meal and let the wait staff do that for him! We were also complimented on our sons behavior by many other diners and the staff as we left the restaurant. Its a great experience all around and I encourage you to try it.

Thank you! You said this beautifully. We will be taking our 3 year old to Cagney's, Moderno, and La Bistro. He likes to eat sushi, spicy food, fancy food as well as chicken nuggets and hot dogs.

I have triplets (now 21) and some of their fondest memories are when they got to go to the "fancy" restaurants while on a cruise, when they were as young as 5 years old. They had their first taste of lobster, escargot, lobster bisque, and calamari while on a cruise. The only problem was that they found a taste for the "finer" foods and land restaurants became a lot more expensive..lol...They were taught restaurant etiquitte and behaving themselves was never a problem. They knew dressing up and keeping their voices at a lower than normal level (than McDonalds) lead to be able to order a "mocktail" I highly recommend it for teaching your children about how to behave in this type of environment.

Sounds like there are a lot of good parents on this board. Children usually rise to the expectations we set for them.

How are they supposed to learn unless we teach them? I think what better place than on a cruise to graduate to a fine dining introduction. In this situation you pay the fee and can try different dishes without penalty, as on a land restaurant where there is ala carte pricing.

I have wonderful memories of spending the night at my godmother's house. She bought me fancy dresses and we went to "The Pump Room" in Hollywood. I would always have a Shirley Temple. I felt so special. I can only imagine great memories for those who have special elegant family dinners at sea.

If someone is opposed to children in this setting perhaps the latest reservation would be the best bet for them.

One of the problems with kids these days, growing up eating at fast food places and drive-thru windows. They need to learn about eating at real restaurants and manners, start them young.

My daughters' favorite meal of the Gem cruise was dining at Cagney's. So we are already planning Moderno and Cagney's for them on Epic.

Not every child loves to eat at Mickey D's. It's all in how they are raised.

167.jpg

And her meal from that night

174.jpg

175.jpg

My other daughter started with the Clam Chowder and said it was the "best she has ever had"

166.jpg

171.jpg

She also had the steak and then for dessert

178.jpg

Edited by crusinmama06

Great answer!!!

We dine out both with and without our children. They enjoy going to restaurants and know how to behave.

If you take your children out to eat at an early age and teach them what is expected of them there is absolutely no reason why you can't do it with them on a vacation as well. If you never take them out and expose them to different foods then that is when they only know how to eat chicken nuggets and have a 2 minute attention span.

I'm another vote for Why dine at Cagney's with children?

I love all the parents that come on here and say that there kids are the best, well behaved blah blah blah.

Out of all our cruises and can count on one finger the number of times I have gone to dinner and seen well behaved kids in the specialty restaurants, so I guess what parents are saying on here is that it's perfectly fine for their well behaved child to have a melt down. JMO

And this is the "Free Cagney's Kids Menu" - this is the one we were handed if the kids wanted to eat off of it. They chose the regular menu for half price.

Gem-Specialty-Menu.jpg

Yea for your kids and a bigger yea for you cuz you let them go for the good stuff!

I love all the parents that come on here and say that there kids are the best, well behaved blah blah blah.

Out of all our cruises and can count on one finger the number of times I have gone to dinner and seen well behaved kids in the specialty restaurants, so I guess what parents are saying on here is that it's perfectly fine for their well behaved child to have a melt down. JMO

Disagree!!!

Sometimes a baby or toddler but we are talking child here.

I was thinking about this thread last night whilst my mom and I had dinner in an upscale restaurant. They were crowded at 5:30 with several parties. I noticed lots of kids and babies were in attendance but the ONLY disruptive firce came from a party across the hall where there was a very loud woman who was obviously not on her first cocktail. Worse than any "meltdown" you might imagine.

Well I guess we will have to take your word on "all of your cruises". But I am pretty much a veteran around here and if my kids were "throwing tantrums" in the specialty dining rooms - there would be pictures and probably video ;)

Great answer!!!

We dine out both with and without our children. They enjoy going to restaurants and know how to behave.

If you take your children out to eat at an early age and teach them what is expected of them there is absolutely no reason why you can't do it with them on a vacation as well. If you never take them out and expose them to different foods then that is when they only know how to eat chicken nuggets and have a 2 minute attention span.

I believe the key words here are "expose them". As I stated before, my children dislike long dinners and you will rarely find them sitting through one.. but food, oh my, food they like! Unlike one of the previous posters whose children first had lobster and calamari on a cruise, my children eat this at home. You are much more likely to eat fetticini Alfredo or lasagna at my house than mac and cheese. Same goes for Indian chicken or chicken saltimbocca than a chicken nugget. Also, a nice variety of "fine food" can be found in the regular restrauants on board. Dressing up and using good manners can be taught there (or even at home) as well as in Cagneys.

Hopes4 - I think you have a good point as well. We all know our children's limits. Our Gem cruise was the first year that I thought my youngest could handle a specialty restaurant. But my oldest daughter has a different personality - she could have handled it at a much younger age - easily as young a 3.

We have to know their limits.

That's right up there with "My dog has never bitten anyone before"