Le Havre to Honfleur by bus

RockyTop2

Hi Everyone,

We will be on the Century TA in April and would like to travel from Le Havre to Honfleur by bus. Has anyone done this recently or do you have any information or advice regarding the bus? I did a search on this board, but the bus times I found were from 2004 and confusing at that. Someone said there is a website, but that it is in French so that does not help me since I know only a few French words! I would appreciate any information that you could offer. We will be in port on a Saturday if that makes a difference. Thanks!:)

The bus from LeHavre to Honfleur was very easy - we did it last summer. There is a tourist information center right at the dock and they gave us the bus schedule and directions to the bus station. We took a cab to the station but since it was Sunday, the ticket office was closed. So, we waited for the bus along with some other folks from the ship and bought our tickets from the driver. I think it was about a 30 minute ride and we had about four or five hours to wander about Honfleur before our return. The bus drops you about half a block from the Honfleur tourist office where you can pick up map and information on the city. The town is charming - very old world French.

Our only mistake in the process was that earlier we had purchased tickets for the shuttle from the dock into LeHavre. Since the bus station is nowhere downtown, we wasted that money.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be in Le Havre on 30 Apr on Summit. I contacted the tourist office in Le Havre who told me the No 20 bus is the one to take and they sent me a link to the timetable. I can just about get by with French. It seems that the bus goes from Gare Routiere which I assume is the bus station. Not sure if I was mis-reading the timetable but the buses didn't appear to be very frequent. The one way fare is 8 euros. What do Celebrity usually charge for shuttle buses.

The staff at the Tourist Info center spoke excellent English and gave us all of the information we needed. The buses are not very frequent so if you're going to Honfleur, be prepared to spend a few hours. However, it is a lovely town with shops worth visiting and restaurants worth enjoying a leisurely lunch in. Honfleur has a wonderful TI center of its own a few steps from the bus stop.

There is a small leap of faith involved in going to Honfleur by bus. You have to trust that you will be able to make yourself understood when you're inquiring about the bus times and costs. We found that there were some other couples from the ship who often set out on their own in certain ports. Once we saw them standing in line for the bus, we knew we were okay.

We were on Princess and their shuttle into port was (I think) $5.00 each way. But, as I posted earlier, we wasted that money because we learned that we needed to take a taxi directly to the bus station - the shuttle drop was in the opposite direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Some greetings from Honfleur:

2007Honfl01-vi.jpg

2007Honfl02-vi.jpg

2007Honfl03-vi.jpg

2007Honfl04-vi.jpg

You must get Bus 20 or 50 from the Bus Terminal (Gare routière) which is located on the backside of the SNCF Railways Station. It's walking about 20-30 Minutes to get there.

The bus company is called Bus Verts. You'll find their schedule here.

The current schedule is valid until July 03, 2008.

Click "Télécharger" to get a pdf-schedule.

lu, ma, me, je, ve = Monday to Friday

sa = Saturday

dimanches et jours de fêtes = Sunday and Public Holidays

Honfleure halte routière "arrivée" (= Bus stop arrival)

As they are going so rare plan your shore excursion accordingly.

An alternative is to rent a car.

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed

Thanks for the beautiful photos. The last one reminded me a bit of Copenhagen. I'm looking forward to spending an afternoon in Honfleur.

Thanks, too, for the translation of the Bus Verts schedule - it's probably one of the worst schedules I've ever seen!

Take a taxi to the train station. Should be no more than 10 euros. pair up with someone else. Most drivers at the port speak some English. Las years schedule was line 20 9:10 arrrive in Honflleur at 9:49 line 50 13:00 arrival at 13:32. line 20 13:50 arrival at 14:20 Line 20 arrival at 15:21. returns from Honfleur 13.15 arrived 13:44. line 20 14:23 arrived 14L48 friday's only. and 17L45 18l14. Sundays and holidays, 10:00 arrilve 10:24 retunr 13>08 arrival 13:39. Lovely, enjoyable day trip.

This is the current times for a Sunday April 10, 2008 that I needed. Marge

BUS # 20 leaves at 9:19a takes abt 20 min.– Bus will have the direction Caen to go & Le Havre for return

Fare to Honfleur by bus is 4 € per person each way. Total for two 16 euros

Departure from Le Havre to Honfleur, Apr. 10th

7.55, 9.19, 13.00

Return from Honfleur to Le Havre

11.37, 13.15, 17.45

Valerie.Vimont@lehavretourisme.com

We took a taxi from the pier to Honfleur in September 2006. It was app. 50 euro and the taxi was a van that held 6 people. We also made arrangemtns for the same driver to pick us up.

Be sure to visit the small grocery store on the main road right before the carousel area. Great selection of wine. We bought 2 cases and are still enjoying it!!:D

That's $147 round trip for two. Celebrity wants $124 for two for a half day tour to Honfleur with only 1 hour of free time. So the taxi is not too bad, especially if you get 4 people. Did the taxi driver just stay with you, or did you take a different taxi back to the ship?

We made arrangements with the driver to pick us up at a certain time and location. I don't know what he did during that time, but he was very prompt picking us up. I wasn't very concerned because the ship did not sail until 11pm. We were also on Celebrity and the tour was just too short. I would spend about 4-5 hours there including lunch.

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be in Le Havre on 30 Apr on Summit. I contacted the tourist office in Le Havre who told me the No 20 bus is the one to take and they sent me a link to the timetable. I can just about get by with French. It seems that the bus goes from Gare Routiere which I assume is the bus station. Not sure if I was mis-reading the timetable but the buses didn't appear to be very frequent. The one way fare is 8 euros. What do Celebrity usually charge for shuttle buses.

Love your Name 2irisheyes, is that to distinquish you from 1 and 3 irisheyes?

We are on the same cruise. We are traveling with another couple. He and I are going to Normandy with Celebrity, but she and my wife are going into HonFluers. She has already signed up for the excursion. But my wife was a French teacher and speaks French fluently. Maybe we can meet up at the sailaway affair. She much prefers exploring on her own rather than going the excursion route, but signed up in this case because the guys wouldn't be with them and she is concerned about getting back to the ship in time.

I just found this board on Sunday and already learned more about our trip and the ship than I had in 4 weeks of reading tour books.

LongTimeTvlr

Recognised your name from roll call. Re bus to Honfleur, there are only a few per day so hope it has room for all who want to use it. Hope to meet at sailaway party. I also have found these boards very helpful in planning our cruises as we prefer to do our own thing wherever possible. To anyone interested, I misunderstood info given to me by tourist info office - bus fare to HF is 4 euros one way pp. It is the taxi from LH to bus station that is 8 euros.

• 6 years later...

2007Honfl01-vi.jpg

2007Honfl02-vi.jpg

2007Honfl03-vi.jpg

2007Honfl04-vi.jpg

You must get Bus 20 or 50 from the Bus Terminal (Gare routière) which is located on the backside of the SNCF Railways Station. It's walking about 20-30 Minutes to get there.

The bus company is called Bus Verts. You'll find their schedule here.

The current schedule is valid until July 03, 2008.

Click "Télécharger" to get a pdf-schedule.

lu, ma, me, je, ve = Monday to Friday

sa = Saturday

dimanches et jours de fêtes = Sunday and Public Holidays

Honfleure halte routière "arrivée" (= Bus stop arrival)

As they are going so rare plan your shore excursion accordingly.

An alternative is to rent a car.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Would like to know how to find "Télécharger" in the bus website.

Thanks.

I guess the website changed a little since 2008.

In the dark green box, click the right hand drop box and choose Line 20 Le Havre - Honfleur. That will take you to a page where you can download the two pdf's. (one for each way).

edit - nb. Do not choose the Line 20 (school) option by mistake.

Edited by Bob++