Just returned - Vantage River Navigator Amsterdam to Budapest 8/9/11

SCdocs

This 17-day river cruise was everything we hoped for and more--the slow pace, attention to details, scenery, shore excursions, food and fellow passengers were incredible. This intimate experience was so different from our ocean cruises (17) and not to be missed. Our only surprise was the weather. Five of our first eight days were in the 50s. Most of us loved this as we had come from squelching temperatures in the US. The remainder of the trip was in the 70s and 80s. We'd be happy to answer any questions.

Glad to hear you had a good time. We have been on 4 with Vantage and the 5th coming up this December on the Navigator - Christmarkets leaving Dec 7th. Your trip has the best scenery - love the little villages along the Rhine. Great wine country......Willard

Glad you had a great trip, we will be doing this one 9/28-10/14/11. It will be our 1st River Cruise but our 5th European and 40th cruise all together, our favorite were small ship cruises (Windjammer Barefoot cruises).

Did you do the optional excursions? What was your favorite day of the trip? Do you have any suggestions?

Nancy

So glad you enjoyed your trip. This was our first trip with Vantage on the Odyssey and we've since taken four more with our 5th already booked. We had never taken a big ship cruise until this past June when we went to Alaska on a ship that shall not be named because it was terrible! (Not Alaska, that was fantastic.)

To the poster who asked our favorite day, I would have to say there were two: Passau for the wonderful shopping and the amazing organ concert on one of the largest pipe organs in the world in one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen. And Rothenburg ob der Tauber because they were having a renaissance fair the day we were there and everyone was in costume and there were demonstrations and it was just marvelous. :D

Glad you had a great trip, we will be doing this one 9/28-10/14/11. It will be our 1st River Cruise but our 5th European and 40th cruise all together, our favorite were small ship cruises (Windjammer Barefoot cruises).

Did you do the optional excursions? What was your favorite day of the trip? Do you have any suggestions?

Nancy

One nice thing about Vantage is there aren't many optional excursions! We had one and it was to a monastery/beer garden and it was fantastic....it really was a monastery and the monks made beer and now its a beer garden and the food was one of the best on the trip, followed by a boat ride through the Danube Gorge. If it's still offered, I would recommend it.

I'm confused???? Your title says 8/9/11. Why are you back so soon if it's a 17 day cruise????

How were the water levels?

We returned 8/9/11.

The water levels were fairly high. Captain had to lower everything on the top deck many times as we went under low bridges.

Nancy

We didn't take either optional excursion (monastery or Vienna dinner) because there were so many included tours. However, those that participated said they were lovely. My favorite day was Cesky Krumlov. The trip getting there through farm lands, mountains and forests was spectacular...and the village was right out of a fairy tale.

Suggestion: take sweaters, jackets and rain gear. Sitting on the upper deck can be nippy in the mornings but it is the best way to see the sights. Also, take binoculars to see the high up castles.

SCDocs & Hydrokitty-Thanks for sharing your experiences and tips. We have already signed up for the optional excursions because we don't want to miss anything, but it id nice to know what others think about them. It will probably be much cooler in October considering the lattitude and topography of the area, I figure I might end up purchasing a souvenir sweatshirt or two if extra layers are needed.

Did you just get your euro's or other currency when needed at ATM's after you arrived in Europe? I am trying to figure out how much will be needed for shopping & tips.

Nancy

SCDocs & Hydrokitty-Thanks for sharing your experiences and tips. We have already signed up for the optional excursions because we don't want to miss anything, but it id nice to know what others think about them. It will probably be much cooler in October considering the lattitude and topography of the area, I figure I might end up purchasing a souvenir sweatshirt or two if extra layers are needed.

Did you just get your euro's or other currency when needed at ATM's after you arrived in Europe? I am trying to figure out how much will be needed for shopping & tips.

Nancy

We got our Euros on the boat ($1.62). Every country took Euros--even Czech Republic and Hungary. We tipped in US dollars to crew and program managers.

Nancy

Nancy, we use ATM machine's whenever we need cash, except in countries that are NOT on the Euro! I usually bring about 50E with me for things like tips and coffee at the airport. You get the best exchange from the atm machines and you don't have to worry about having euro left over at the end of the trip, I just dump them in a box and pull them out when we leave for the next one.

We went late aug. into early Sept. and weather was fantastic. I would imagine you might need a warm hoodie for Oct. and I would bring one just in case you don't see one. Unlike here, you can go for days without seeing a sidewalk vendor selling sweatshirts! I know the only place I found a good selection was in Heidelburg.

One nice thing about Vantage is there aren't many optional excursions! We had one and it was to a monastery/beer garden and it was fantastic....

what Monastery was that?

I sure the men would like that tour

what Monastery was that?

I sure the men would like that tour

Weltenberg Abbey. It wasn't originally listed with our optionals (this was in 2008) but was substituted when the optional I booked for my husband was cancelled due to lack of interest...I don't remember how much it cost, but it was worth every penny! We had a brief tour, talk and film on the beer making and a walk up to the Abbey and lunch at the restaurant, which was one of the best meals we had on the trip (and the food on the trip was really good). Lunch was included as was a mug of beer. I asked for light beer and was politely told they don't have a light beer! Then I pointed to the beer someone else was drinking and they brought me a huge stein of the most delicious light colored beer I've ever had.....after lunch we walked about 1/4 mile to the dock and got on a smaller boat for a trip through the narrow gorge, which was gorgeous and took at least 90 minutes to get to where the Odyssey was docked. It was a trip highlight and if still offered, I would recommend it without reservation. They men will love it and so will you!!!:D

Weltenberg Abbey.. It was a trip highlight and if still offered, I would recommend it without reservation. They men will love it and so will you!!!:D

Thanks

I will have to check our cruise schedule & see if it offered

I do not drink beer but I will give my share to DH;)

Lyn

Nancy

Cruise Directions - We got Euros prior to leaving the states through our bank - Bank of American. I think we paid about $1.56 per Euro. All we did was go to the bank, tell them how much, and we picked up the Euros a few days later. It was a much better rate than at the airport, on the boat or at an exchange store. Additional purchases were made thorugh our credit card. Additional charges on the ship was also made on our credit card. We did carry some U.S. Dollars. We actually got lucky and only had about a 100 euros left when we got back. Put them in the safe for the next trip to Europe instead of selling them back at a lower rate.

cruisedirections - the cruise company will probably give you a sheet recommending how much to tip if you want to go by that. Usually it is xx.xx per day per person for the crew and x.xx per day per person for the cruise director. Obviously you don't need to tip per the recommendations and some cruise companies include either the tips up front or build them into the cost.

As far as getting euros, you are much better off using your debit card at an ATM in Europe. You'll find ATMs all over. For safety reasons just use reasonable care, just like at home when using the ATM. Sometimes your bank will charge you a small fee for using a card outside their system, usually 3 to 5 dollars. You will get the best exchange rate using an ATM. However you may want to go a week or so earlier to you home bank and get 100 or 200 euros just to have some after landing. You will pay a premium for those.

After our last trip to Europe we had a couple hundred euro's left. It's a good excuse to go back.

Thanks

I will have to check our cruise schedule & see if it offered

I do not drink beer but I will give my share to DH;)

Lyn

I'm not much of a beer lover either, Lyn, but I have to tell you the beer over there was so good, I don't think I've had that much beer since college!!

Steve and Kathy: I did see your pictures and yes, they bring back memories...all good ones!:D

cruisedirections - the cruise company will probably give you a sheet recommending how much to tip if you want to go by that. Usually it is xx.xx per day per person for the crew and x.xx per day per person for the cruise director. Obviously you don't need to tip per the recommendations and some cruise companies include either the tips up front or build them into the cost.

As far as getting euros, you are much better off using your debit card at an ATM in Europe. You'll find ATMs all over. For safety reasons just use reasonable care, just like at home when using the ATM. Sometimes your bank will charge you a small fee for using a card outside their system, usually 3 to 5 dollars. You will get the best exchange rate using an ATM. However you may want to go a week or so earlier to you home bank and get 100 or 200 euros just to have some after landing. You will pay a premium for those.

After our last trip to Europe we had a couple hundred euro's left. It's a good excuse to go back.

Absolutely right Paulinda, and you do get the best rate through the atm. Use your credit card for anything you purchase and want shipped back to the US, not only will your exchange rate be better (although you will have to pay a fee unless you have Capital One) but you'll have the credit card company to fall back on if your package doesn't arrive or is damaged. (which has never happened to me and I bought $1200 worth of glass in Venice and a cuckoo clock in Passau!) The first time I purchased euros I got them at my AAA office. Since we live in kind of a rural area, none of our local banks carried euros and had to order them. AAA had them in house and it was easier to get them. The rate was competitive and we've just kept adding to our "euro stash" every time we go.

We did the Vantage Castles on the Rhine cruise in early October and I agree with the above poster. You definitely need to pack layers. It was often cold and misty in the early morning and then beautiful sunny fall weather during the day. We wore jeans and layers most days. Comfortable walking shoes are a must. Since the best views of the scenery are from the upper deck you should also consider packing gloves and a hat and scarf. Buying sweaters in Europe is very expensive and I did not really notice any sweatshirts for sale by vendors. Rain gear is also important just in case you hit a patch of rainy weather. Enjoy your trip.

Comfortable walking shoes with good traction and ankle support will be the most important item you bring, as Gianna said, there are several towns where you'll be walking on cobblestones and they can be deadly. One other thing to note that just came to mind is the stairs to the upper deck are outside and tend to be a bit slippery when wet. In fact, if it's raining hard, the doors might be locked so you can't go out. The view from the indoor lounge is beautiful too, so don't think rain is going to ruin your sightseeing. Only place I saw sweatshirts for sale was in Heidelberg . :)

Archived