Which Thenford Grey Tour Should we do?

cdl324

Hello! Stopping at St Kitts on November 4th. We are debating between the train tour through our cruise line or Thenford Grey. Which would you pick between the two? Also... if you vote Thenford Grey, which tour would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

I would skip the train and do Thenford's "Grand Island Tour". The train excursion is fine but you really get more bang for your buck with a tour like Thenford's.

Just from reading reviews on both I kind of felt that way.... thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I would skip the train and do Thenford's "Grand Island Tour". The train excursion is fine but you really get more bang for your buck with a tour like Thenford's.

We are doing this tour on Nov. 2nd. Thanks for another good review of the tour. First cruise so a little nervis about the excursions.

Thenford grey for sure. Just got back using him. 20 on our bus. We did the grand tour. Highly recommend! He was our guide. Take money for the place you can shop at while at Romney manor... Very cool. Good price for what u get.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just wondering, other than Thenford Grey (and the above taxi one), what other tours are there?

You can do the ones through your ship or google it and see what comes up.

Me as this was my first trip went with Thenford Grey because of such high reconditions from a good amount of people I know, from my TA and from the boards. And it did not let me down at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I plan on going on a similar Island tour with beach break with Royston's tours.

He too comes highly rated, although I haven't been on his tour.

He apparently drives anywhere to get the best views. He picks up food on the way to the beach stop for a lunch on the beach.(kind of different and a neat touch I think)

His tour sounds laid back with a touch of the local rustic flavor. It seems interesting.

Hope it lives up to its reviews.

Good luck with your Tour choice.

We did Thenford Grey's Grand Island tour back in 2011 on our very first trip to St. Kitts! We absolutely LOVED it and the island!!! Mr. Grey was our tour guide. He was very pleasant and knowledgeable. This tour was a full 6 hour day!! We felt like we saw the entire island- Downtown, Romney Manor, Brimstone Fortress, and beautiful cliff top views for pictures! We stopped at a road side stand and were able to browse and take pictures holding a monkey! We even got to spend at least 2 good hours on the beach!! I was extremely nervous using an "non cruise line" tour for the first time and getting back to the boat on time, but no worries needed! We had plenty of time. We saved Mr. Grey's card and just pulled it out again as we are looking at doing a cruise that stops at St. Kitt's again. We would not hesitate to take another tour with him! We were blown away that in 6 years, his prices have only gone up about $5!! If we stop in St. Kitt's again, we would do either the downtown and beach tour, or the Nevis tour! Definitely worth the money!

We did Thenford Grey's Grand Island tour back in 2011 on our very first trip to St. Kitts! We absolutely LOVED it and the island!!! Mr. Grey was our tour guide. He was very pleasant and knowledgeable. This tour was a full 6 hour day!! We felt like we saw the entire island- Downtown, Romney Manor, Brimstone Fortress, and beautiful cliff top views for pictures! We stopped at a road side stand and were able to browse and take pictures holding a monkey! We even got to spend at least 2 good hours on the beach!! I was extremely nervous using an "non cruise line" tour for the first time and getting back to the boat on time, but no worries needed! We had plenty of time. We saved Mr. Grey's card and just pulled it out again as we are looking at doing a cruise that stops at St. Kitt's again. We would not hesitate to take another tour with him! We were blown away that in 6 years, his prices have only gone up about $5!! If we stop in St. Kitt's again, we would do either the downtown and beach tour, or the Nevis tour! Definitely worth the money!

I am right there with you with Grey's tours. Loved the tour we did with Mr. Grey's brother. We are going back to St. Kitts in November and have already been in contact with him about doing a private tour with him to see even more of the island.

For us Grey's came highly recommended and glad we took the chance and did his tour. The downside is the other 3 tours we tours we took on the cruise failed in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

We were in St. Kitts on the Viking Oceans "Star" in January. Really enjoyed our “Grand Tour of St. Kitts” with Thenford Grey Tours. We were met at the visitors center by a young woman who put us into the very capable hands of our guide, Henry Williams, and we boarded a small, comfortable van with just 4 others. Started with a quick drive through of Basseterre pointing out the important sights. (Some day I’d like to spend more time exploring the “city.”) Then a drive along the coast through an area of “offshore” medical and veterinarian schools. (I didn’t realize there were so many on St. Kitts.)

The grounds at Romney Manor were lovely and Henry pointed out many of the unusual plants and trees such as the Traveler Palm. Good amount of time to shop at Caribelle Batik there and enjoy rum punch and a small piece of locally made rum cake. (These snacks and later lunch were not included in the price of the tour. That was fine as the cost of $55 was so reasonable.)

From Romney Manor it was just a little further to Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park. This is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and well worth the climb up the stone steps to the top for the fort and beautiful views of St. Kitt’s coastline. Fort was really well preserved and fun to explore as well with many exhibits.

None of us felt we needed to shop (one of the options) so we drove instead out onto the Southeast Peninsula stopping for pictures of the Atlantic and the Caribbean (in just one shot). When we arrived at South Friars Bay on the Caribbean side, we were given the choice of beaches between a more upscale resort or less expensive but with all the amenities. We decided on Shipwreck Beach Bar & Grill and it made for a very fun afternoon. Rustic décor but good showers, changing rooms, and excellent drinks and local menu with fresh seafood. Picnic tables under shady pavilion or trees. Beach was a little narrow but they had plenty of umbrellas and lounges available. We brought our own snorkel masks and blow-up vests but rented fins for just $5 for the two of us. There was a sign warning about black sea urchins, but we only saw them on the reef further out where the water was deep and they could easily be avoided. Not spectacular snorkeling but life along reef was good. The day would have been perfect if the monkeys on the hill behind the beach had decided to come out but not my cruise for monkeys. (Didn’t see them on Antigua either.) Easy ride from there back to the ship and arrived in plenty of time before sailing.

Definitely the best value excursion of our cruise. Saw the best of St. Kitts in a comfortable van with only 2 other couples, excellent guide, fun beach/snorkel time, and fresh a la carte food from the Shipwreck Grill. Can’t believe it was all for just $55 per person! I hesitated at first to book since the price was so low but then figured it was because they didn't include drinks or food. So glad we did!

Right, I was looking for specific recommendations. I'm sure there are plenty of others...

This tour company has some excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and they seem to do smaller groups. I haven't used them so can't personally vouch for them but I'm planning to reserve them for my upcoming April cruise on Freedom of the Seas.

http://www.roseandjimstaxi.com/ourtours.htm

Oops! Just realized your cruise was already over with! Maybe you could let me know how your tour experience!

Edited by LilOleLady
Left off link