Black Sand Beaches

jficco

Hmm, I may have to look up these other places along the beach and see if there's anything out there on them and what they have to offer. I want to see the black sand (if it's there), but just not sure about the "rustic" Shipwreck beach that we might take the chance of not getting a front row seat. I do want the snorkeling though. Any idea if there's snorkeling over at Carambola?

I've never heard (or read here on CC) anything about snorkeling from Carambola, but it is possible to go to Carambola and get loungers then walk down to Shipwreck to snorkel. It wouldn't be that far of a walk, guessing about 10 minutes (???). I could see Carambola from Shipwreck.

I know I've mentioned before, but we were at Shipwreck on a gorgeous, sunny day and the water was also calm. If the water is choppy, then it may even be coming up upon the loungers at Shipwreck. They do have nails in the palapas to hang belongings from, but I don't think it would be a pleasant experience having water come up to the loungers, although I have seen others purposely putting loungers in the water at the beaches in North and South Carolina. Back to Shipwreck...if the others saw the lighter colored sand in March, there could be more beach at Shipwreck now. Either way, you shouldn't have a problem getting a front row seat. There was no shortage of loungers the day we were there (only ship in port) and if you're on Fascination (smaller ship) on a day no other ships are in port, then I'm sure there will be plenty of space at the beaches.

Wow your conch shells turned about beautiful!!

Thanks. It was really just one of the two that I kept. When I saw the orange color in the one, I was floored! I had no idea it was that color until it was in the bleach/water bucket for about 15 minutes. I took it out shortly after that since I didn't want it to lose that color. The other one is white, but similar in size.

Attaching a few pictures that may help to show you where Carambola is in relation to Shipwreck and also to point out other loungers that could very well be one of the other two places I noticed on Google Earth. Again, never knew they existed.

The first picture is the actual view toward Carambola from the beach in front of Shipwreck. I added an arrow and labeled it.

IMG_0317-1_Edit.jpg

This picture is the same picture as the above, only "cropped" to hopefully give you a better view of Carambola. I circled the whole Carambola area. Again, never heard anything about snorkeling there, but on the left inside the circled "Carambola" area is a rock jetty. Just because I've never seen any mention of snorkeling doesn't mean there isn't decent snorkeling...there could be some near that jetty (???).

IMG_0317-1-2.jpg

This is the same picture, but labeled to point out other loungers that I just noticed as I edited to give you an idea of how far Carambola is from Shipwreck. I'm guessing these loungers (not Shipwreck and don't appear to be Carambola) may be at one of those other two places that appear on Google Earth.

IMG_0317-3.jpg

Hope this is helpful. I'm not planning a cruise, but I feel kind of like I am, so I'm enjoying this. :D

Edited by pghsteelerfan

For kicks, I just did a search of Jam Rock Restaurant & Beach Bar, St. Kitts and found some reviews (they got good reviews) but their photo gallery didn't have much in the way of beach pictures. They do have a "social network" page, the one I'm not supposed to mention. The most recent post was from May 11, in which they posted that they will be temporarily closed due to relocation to Frigate Bay. Frigate Bay is closer to the cruise ship pier and is located before you go up and over Timothy Hill (the overlook). We've never been to Frigate Bay, so I have no opinion of it. According to "their page", it doesn't appear that they are open at Frigate Bay yet. There was no reason given for the move, so I don't know if it's erosion or what.

Screenshot of the Jam Rock message on their status:

Jamrock.jpg

For the Mongoose Bar (the other place), I wasn't able to find much on an internet search but did come across this article that was posted when I did a "social network" page search for it. There isn't an actual "social network" page for Mongoose, but if others post about it, I was able to see those. Not many. The article mentioned it was "moved" to it's current location in 2010, but I don't know if it's still there now or not. The website where others review places has a total of five reviews (all good), most recent was January 5, 2016.

Attaching link to that article I snagged from "social network":

http://beachbarbums.com/2014/07/24/st-kitts-beach-bars-mongoose-bar-and-grill-south-friars-bay/

Ooops...this one (Mongoose Bar) may be closed too:

Mongoose.jpg

Edited by pghsteelerfan

This picture is the same picture as the above, only "cropped" to hopefully give you a better view of Carambola. I circled the whole Carambola area. Again, never heard anything about snorkeling there, but on the left inside the circled "Carambola" area is a rock jetty. Just because I've never seen any mention of snorkeling doesn't mean there isn't decent snorkeling...there could be some near that jetty (???).

IMG_0317-1-2.jpg

This is the same picture, but labeled to point out other loungers that I just noticed as I edited to give you an idea of how far Carambola is from Shipwreck. I'm guessing these loungers (not Shipwreck and don't appear to be Carambola) may be at one of those other two places that appear on Google Earth.

Hope this is helpful. I'm not planning a cruise, but I feel kind of like I am, so I'm enjoying this. :D

Yea, I wouldn't mind the walk from Carambola, it's just paying for chairs and then having to leave something behind to signify that we are still there and using them is the problem. I hate leaving stuff around if it's going to be that far off. Sometimes I adventure off on my own and the hubby stays back at the "camp" but I don't think I would want to go that far on my own.

The picture above that's cropped shows that chair I was talking about in your picture that looks like there's an area that might level off on the right side of Shipwreck (if you are facing the water). There looks to be a dog sitting behind the chair. That's the area I was wondering if maybe there's more of a beach there.

For kicks, I just did a search of Jam Rock Restaurant & Beach Bar, St. Kitts and found some reviews (they got good reviews) but their photo gallery didn't have much in the way of beach pictures. They do have a "social network" page, the one I'm not supposed to mention. The most recent post was from May 11, in which they posted that they will be temporarily closed due to relocation to Frigate Bay. Frigate Bay is closer to the cruise ship pier and is located before you go up and over Timothy Hill (the overlook). We've never been to Frigate Bay, so I have no opinion of it. According to "their page", it doesn't appear that they are open at Frigate Bay yet. There was no reason given for the move, so I don't know if it's erosion or what.

Screenshot of the Jam Rock message on their status:

For the Mongoose Bar (the other place), I wasn't able to find much on an internet search but did come across this article that was posted when I did a "social network" page search for it. There isn't an actual "social network" page for Mongoose, but if others post about it, I was able to see those. Not many. The article mentioned it was "moved" to it's current location in 2010, but I don't know if it's still there now or not. The website where others review places has a total of five reviews (all good), most recent was January 5, 2016.

Attaching link to that article I snagged from "social network":

http://beachbarbums.com/2014/07/24/st-kitts-beach-bars-mongoose-bar-and-grill-south-friars-bay/

Ooops...this one (Mongoose Bar) may be closed too:

Yea, I did look up Jam Rock. From what I'm seeing around the web, they are up and open for business in Frigate Bay. It looks like a real nice spot they have there with decent full meal prices. I might have to try them out on another trip to St Kitts. :D

Yea, not seeing much on Mongoose and last report is from January. I think Shipwreck should expand and have more beach room. :eek: :D

Yea, I wouldn't mind the walk from Carambola, it's just paying for chairs and then having to leave something behind to signify that we are still there and using them is the problem. I hate leaving stuff around if it's going to be that far off. Sometimes I adventure off on my own and the hubby stays back at the "camp" but I don't think I would want to go that far on my own.

The picture above that's cropped shows that chair I was talking about in your picture that looks like there's an area that might level off on the right side of Shipwreck (if you are facing the water). There looks to be a dog sitting behind the chair. That's the area I was wondering if maybe there's more of a beach there.

I did get a better view of that area next to Shipwreck that appeared to have more beach. From the limited information I found on the Mongoose Bar, that may have been it (or is if it is still open). There were a couple of mentions about Mongoose being in the "shadow" of the more popular Shipwreck. (???) I know that according to Google Earth, they went Carambola, Jam Rock, Mongoose, and Shipwreck.

OMG...I didn't even notice the dog in the picture!!! :eek: LOL!!!

Yea, I did look up Jam Rock. From what I'm seeing around the web, they are up and open for business in Frigate Bay. It looks like a real nice spot they have there with decent full meal prices. I might have to try them out on another trip to St Kitts. :D

Yea, not seeing much on Mongoose and last report is from January. I think Shipwreck should expand and have more beach room. :eek: :D

Shipwreck expanding, more beach room...that would be nice! :D Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a day as beautiful as the day we had while there and hope you get a chance to get out for pictures at Timothy Hill this time.

I did get a better view of that area next to Shipwreck that appeared to have more beach. From the limited information I found on the Mongoose Bar, that may have been it (or is if it is still open). There were a couple of mentions about Mongoose being in the "shadow" of the more popular Shipwreck. (???) I know that according to Google Earth, they went Carambola, Jam Rock, Mongoose, and Shipwreck.

OMG...I didn't even notice the dog in the picture!!! :eek: LOL!!!Shipwreck expanding, more beach room...that would be nice! :D Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a day as beautiful as the day we had while there and hope you get a chance to get out for pictures at Timothy Hill this time.

I just don't know why this is such a hard decision for me this time around. :eek: I'm really struggling with it. LOL I know if I ask the hubby and show him the pictures, he'll pick Carambola for the looks. (I mean after all, he had the choice between the beach in St Lucia or the mud baths then beach and it was a definite no on the mud baths LOL).

I really want to see the black sand IF there is any there at the time we are there and the snorkeling sounds amazing and just what I like (from the beach), but the lack of beach is just what's getting me...or the possibility of a higher tide or rough tide that would put us on the top level and not down at the beach with our little one when she's swimming.

Carambola looks beautiful and what we would normally go for. But, it's more expensive and I haven't heard much talk about the snorkeling in that area (not that it's a requirement for me, but if it's along the beach somewhere, like Shipwreck, then I'd rather be at that place).

Ahh, decisions :o

If you snorkel from Carambola you can get behind the reef and snorkel behind it. I'm not sure there is an easy way to get on the back side of the reef from the Shipwreck end of the beach. You don't have to leave Carambola for snorkeling but no black sand.

If you snorkel from Carambola you can get behind the reef and snorkel behind it. I'm not sure there is an easy way to get on the back side of the reef from the Shipwreck end of the beach. You don't have to leave Carambola for snorkeling but no black sand.

Can you tell me more about this "get behind the reef and snorkel it"? :confused: Is there snorkeling from the shore there at Carambola? Did you snorkel there? What I'm picturing in my mind when you say "get behind it" is swimming way out and going around...as in an area that would be kind deep? I wouldn't do that and honestly I don't like going out too far and prefer something close to shore. So if that's the only way to snorkel at Carambola, it's probably not for me.

Calling it a reef was a poor choice of words. It's actually a rock ledge with some coral growing on it. :p The ledge is very close to shore and the water is only about 6 feet or so. I didn't go all the way up the beach to the Shipwreck but it looked to be too shallow and rocky to snorkel at that end of the beach. Actually, I think the best snorkeling is in the middle between Carambola and Shipwreck.

Yes, we did snorkel right off the beach at Carambola. The water was calm and clear. We saw lots of fish.

Here are a few pics. If you look close you can see the dark spot in the water which is the ledge.

P2170184.jpg.ce364a8c9fcce99bbce7acb45a09af7a.jpg

P2160176.jpg.9b7c96e78131cd953bccc2aded53e27b.jpg

P2170196.jpg.ba493644ed6fc03eda42195d6fd8b93f.jpg

P2170200.jpg.0221b9b27d322c6b46c05ad6ac3a838a.jpg

Calling it a reef was a poor choice of words. It's actually a rock ledge with some coral growing on it. :p The ledge is very close to shore and the water is only about 6 feet or so. I didn't go all the way up the beach to the Shipwreck but it looked to be too shallow and rocky to snorkel at that end of the beach. Actually, I think the best snorkeling is in the middle between Carambola and Shipwreck.

Yes, we did snorkel right off the beach at Carambola. The water was calm and clear. We saw lots of fish.

Here are a few pics. If you look close you can see the dark spot in the water which is the ledge.

That's awesome and thanks for the description. That helps a lot. I didn't figure it was a "reef", but pictured exactly what you were talking about, but I was just worried it was one of those things that was way out in the water and then dropped off to no return type of things that once you get behind it, there's no getting out unless swimming to the end. Loved the pictures and that will work for me. Thanks again. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone walked the beach between Shipwreck and Carambola?

Wish I could help there, but we just stayed at Shipwreck while we were there. We were able to see Carambola and it looked like it would be an easy enough walk to me. About 10 minutes??? Someone else posted on one of these threads that the walk was difficult. Someone else posted asking if they could specify why the walk was difficult, but there has been no reply. The only thing that might make it difficult would be if the water was rough that day, which may eliminate a walk up the beach altogether. It could be difficult for some with health/disabilities, as with any longer walk or walk not on a hard, flat surface.

• 1 month later...
Any problems with bringing conch shells back through customs?

Mine were empty and I didn't have any trouble. On our customs forms, we didn't declare that we had shells. I just looked up a "sample", and under question 11 (a, b, c, and d), questions "b", "c" and "d" could mean shells and/or sand, but we always check "no". See "link" and you can scroll down beyond actual sample of the form to see it all clearly typed out.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/sample-declaration-form

As for getting them through security when getting back on the ship, I had no problem in St. Kitts. And yes, they can see them when you put your belongings through X-ray. In St. Maarten, I was questioned by security about the shells I found there. It was a small, zip lock baggie with shells found up on the beach, all empty, no animal or animal residue. They asked if all the shells were empty, I let them know they were, and they let me though. First time I was ever questioned bringing shells back on the ship. We were on Carnival, so I don't know if other cruise lines allow them or not.

Hope this helps.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

• 3 weeks later...

So, we just came back a few weeks ago from our cruise and went to Carambola and also walked down to Ship Wreck. It wasn't a hard walk at all and the sand was AMAZING!!! There's a little beach club (pretty vacant the day we were there) in between these two clubs and it has some black sand, but down by Ship Wreck, the sand was pure black. It was awesome and actually VERY beautiful. It sparkled in the sun and looked like diamonds. I highly recommend checking it out for sure!

It anyone is interested:

My review is listed HERE FOR THE FULL REVIEW

and

HERE FOR JUST ST KITTS

There's TONS of pictures of this place. :)