Booking a hotel in San Juan January 2014

travellerin1984

Hi!

I have booked a cruise from San Juan 18th of January 2014 and plan to stay in San Juan couple of nights before the cruise. How early it is common to book through Hotwire? We don't live in US so can't use Priceline but I am thinking of using Hotwire instead. Is January popular time for cruises out of San Juan?

Hi!

I have booked a cruise from San Juan 18th of January 2014 and plan to stay in San Juan couple of nights before the cruise. How early it is common to book through Hotwire? We don't live in US so can't use Priceline but I am thinking of using Hotwire instead. Is January popular time for cruises out of San Juan?

Great question Travellerin! Were you reading my mind?:D

Here are my observations : January is high season so book a cancelable hotel . (Also San sebastion festival I believe 1/17/14 in PR) Yes it is too early for hotwire. I will start trying in earnest about august. Does not mean I wont be looking before though :)

You never know when you can pick up a deal. Have fun planning! :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

We also are sailing on 1-18-2014 and I just started looking for hotels and I am finding many already booked due to the San Sabastian Festival. I would definitely book a cancellable rate and hope for something on Hotwire later but I doubt there will be any deals that week-end.

I will be there at the same time and find that some hotels are already booked. I booked a room at the Raddison for under $200. Also the Howard Johnson is starting at $94 with the AAA discount.

What area of San Juan is the Howard Johnson & Radisson in? Has anybody stayed there to give a quick review?

• 2 weeks later...
What area of San Juan is the Howard Johnson & Radisson in? Has anybody stayed there to give a quick review?

I hear that they are in the condado beach area where there are restaurants, drug stores etc. The beach is about a block from the Radisson. I usually go on Trip advisor before I book a room.

I don't know if mods will allow this,if it's not allowed sorry,but there is an official Puerto Rico tourism website that can help.http://www.seepuertorico.com. There is alot of information there that can help.

Edited by hutat

I hear that they are in the condado beach area where there are restaurants' date=' drug stores etc. The beach is about a block from the Radisson. I usually go on Trip advisor before I book a room.[/quote']

I usually do that also plus the reviews on Cruise Critic help me make up my mind. My problem is when I search a hotel, more then one pop up in different areas and I've never been to SJU (well other then stopping in airport on my way to Aruba :D) so I don't know which area's are good or bad. I don't want to pick the wrong place just because its cheap and the area isn't any good. From what I can tell Old San Juan is good but hotels there are expensive :eek:

I usually do that also plus the reviews on Cruise Critic help me make up my mind. My problem is when I search a hotel, more then one pop up in different areas and I've never been to SJU (well other then stopping in airport on my way to Aruba :D) so I don't know which area's are good or bad. I don't want to pick the wrong place just because its cheap and the area isn't any good. From what I can tell Old San Juan is good but hotels there are expensive :eek:

We have stayed in OSJ, Isla Verde and Condado. Felt equally safe in all areas. Walking at night to restaurants and things was never a problem. Would not walk on the beach at night but that is just common sense.

-Kristi

I have been looking the past couple of days for feb 1, 2014....finding things booked up....I have been looking in old san juan,

Where have you been looking? At which hotel? Both Villa Herencia and Hotel Casablanca have availability.

Where have you been looking? At which hotel? Both Villa Herencia and Hotel Casablanca have availability.

I found the new Best Western that isn't even open yet seems to have pretty good pricing right now.. I have that booked as a backup plan incase I can't get a good deal on Priceline.

I did find a room at the Hotel Milano......the hotel casablanca does not have an elavator, so if you don't mind hauling your luggage up 5 flights of stairs have at it, but for me no thanks

I found the new Best Western that isn't even open yet seems to have pretty good pricing right now.. I have that booked as a backup plan incase I can't get a good deal on Priceline.

That's where I am booked for November. I needed a room with 2 queen beds as I am traveling with DH and my adult DD. I was having a hard time finding a room with 2 queen beds at a decent price. I think I paid around $130 plus tax, ect....

We are on the Feb 1 Summit. Books two room for two nights precruise last week at the CasaBlanca OSJ. Book through the Hotel's own website. That way we were able to choose our rooms on the second floor. Since they don't have an elevator we figured we could handle two flights of steps. The rooms were $119.00 a night plus taxes and fees.

• 2 months later...
We are on the Feb 1 Summit. Books two room for two nights precruise last week at the CasaBlanca OSJ. Book through the Hotel's own website. That way we were able to choose our rooms on the second floor. Since they don't have an elevator we figured we could handle two flights of steps. The rooms were $119.00 a night plus taxes and fees.

My husband and I are on the same cruise, and we're also staying at Casablanca. Come on over to the roll call if you'd like!:)

My wife and I will be staying at the Hotel CasaBlanca in September. Reviews are mostly all great. Great location, close to the pier, walking distants to all the old history of Old San Juan. Really, the only negative things I've read about the hotel were no elevator and some rooms have no window. I have booked this hotel for our pre-cruise and post cruise. Pretty excited about it too! Only $119 a night.

• 3 months later...
I am sailing out of San Juan on 1/12/14 and need 2 precruise hotel rooms. I'm finding them very expensive so decided to wait a little bit. I can't find much under $200 per night.

I'm cruising from San Juan in April and am having difficulty finding a hotel... everything is over 200 and a lot of them are already sold out for the night before.... might have to consider flying in on the day of, but don't want the stress of dealing with a delay! :eek:

I'm cruising from San Juan in April and am having difficulty finding a hotel... everything is over 200 and a lot of them are already sold out for the night before.... might have to consider flying in on the day of, but don't want the stress of dealing with a delay! :eek:

I am currently booked at Comfort Inn in Condando. I have a Govt Employee ID and got a good rate for the rooms. It gets ok reviews on TripAdvisor and for one day I can deal.

Do you have any rates you can qualify for? AAA? AARP? Govt? BJs? Costco?

Give Comfort Inn a try and see if the rates work for you. I'll come back and let you know what I thought of it when I return.

I went into their website for you for precruise of 4/5/14 and came with a King room for 2 for Best Available price of $161 after taxes. Have you tried one of the travel sites? I know Last Minute Travel Club can get you some good rates sometimes. The problem is you are traveling during Spring Break which is definately high season.

Good Luck

Edited by girlscruise2011

I am currently booked at Comfort Inn in Condando. I have a Govt Employee ID and got a good rate for the rooms. It gets ok reviews on TripAdvisor and for one day I can deal.

Do you have any rates you can qualify for? AAA? AARP? Govt? BJs? Costco?

Give Comfort Inn a try and see if the rates work for you. I'll come back and let you know what I thought of it when I return.

I went into their website for you for precruise of 4/5/14 and came with a King room for 2 for Best Available price of $161 after taxes. Have you tried one of the travel sites? I know Last Minute Travel Club can get you some good rates sometimes. The problem is you are traveling during Spring Break which is definately high season.

Good Luck

I am also booked at the comfort in December 26 and 27. Prior to our New Years cruise. I have a loyalty card for quality inns and got a good rate. I'll try to come back and let you know how it is.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app