Bathroom Smell

Dick & Linda

Do the bathrooms on Cunard ships smell like bathrooms on other cruise ships (almost like a porta-john)?

Well, I've occupied quite a variety of cabins on QE2, QM2, QV and QE and none of the toilets smelt like that. Did you have any specific cruise lines in mind?

J

On night, we did have a rather nasty odor coming from our bathroom on a QM2 cruise so we had to sleep with the balcony door ajar. We mentioned it to our steward the next morning. When we returned from breakfast, crew members were working in the bathroom, so we took a walk around the deck. Whatever they did fixed the problem and the smell was gone.

Well, I've occupied quite a variety of cabins on QE2, QM2, QV and QE and none of the toilets smelt like that. Did you have any specific cruise lines in mind?

We returned yesterday from a 3-night Bahamas cruise on Royal Caribbean (this had been just a quick get-away for us). I am not sure if it was their cleaning supplies (strong chemical) or what, but the smell in the bathroom made me feel ill the entire time. We are not new to cruising (have done 21) and this is the first time I have ever been ill from any odor in the cabin. Our room was an ocean view, and we have been on this ship before with no problem. The reason that we are asking about Cunard is that we have a 30-day cruise planned with them for this summer. This will be our first cruise with Cunard.

We returned yesterday from a 3-night Bahamas cruise on Royal Caribbean (this had been just a quick get-away for us). I am not sure if it was their cleaning supplies (strong chemical) or what, but the smell in the bathroom made me feel ill the entire time. We are not new to cruising (have done 21) and this is the first time I have ever been ill from any odor in the cabin. Our room was an ocean view, and we have been on this ship before with no problem. The reason that we are asking about Cunard is that we have a 30-day cruise planned with them for this summer. This will be our first cruise with Cunard.

I think that there are occasional smells around ships and their vacuum toilets but if this problem arises your steward will attend to it immediately you inform him. Cunard ships aren't famous for smelly bathrooms.

No they don't. They smell of rose water and jasmine.

On our third voyage, it certainly didn't smell as nice as you say it does. We notified the steward who got maintaince on it. Sometimes some blockage can cause less than pleasant smells. It was fixed after a few days. Never encountered it on future trips.

Just back from a cruise on Celebrity. There was a problem on the boutique level with a smell of toilets and it was horrible.

I did see various maintenance staff changing out some sort of filters in the doors to the toilets vacuum system on several decks. It was my first encounter with that smell problem. On my several trips on Cunard I have never had that problem with smells from the toilets.

On our third voyage, it certainly didn't smell as nice as you say it does. We notified the steward who got maintaince on it. Sometimes some blockage can cause less than pleasant smells. It was fixed after a few days. Never encountered it on future trips.

I was joking. :cool: