Renaissance Cruises sank 10 years ago today

Signor John

On September 25, 2001, Renaissance Cruises declared bankruptcy. My wife and I were on the R7 at the time, and I knew something was afoot when--late in the evening--I felt the ship change course (it was returning to Dover instead of continuing from Le Havre to St. Peter Port). I've written a first-hand report on what happened on the R7 that I can't link to here, but a Google search on the Renaissance bankruptcy 10 years later might point you in the right direction.

I wonder how many of today's cruise passengers who see Oceania's REGATTA/INSIGNIA/NAUTICA, AZAMARA QUEST and JOURNEY, OCEAN and PACIFIC PRINCESS, and other former Renaissance ships in new livery are aware of the Renaissance brand and fleet?

On September 25, 2001, Renaissance Cruises declared bankruptcy. My wife and I were on the R7 at the time, and I knew something was afoot when--late in the evening--I felt the ship change course (it was returning to Dover instead of continuing from Le Havre to St. Peter Port). I've written a first-hand report on what happened on the R7 that I can't link to here, but a Google search on the Renaissance bankruptcy 10 years later might point you in the right direction.

I wonder how many of today's cruise passengers who see Oceania's REGATTA/INSIGNIA/NAUTICA, AZAMARA QUEST and JOURNEY, OCEAN and PACIFIC PRINCESS, and other former Renaissance ships in new livery are aware of the Renaissance brand and fleet?

Have sailed and will sail again on the Island Princess (now MV Discovery) sister ship of the LoveBoat - Pacific Princess. Like all women of a certain age she hides her wrinkles under plenty of paint, but she still sails with pride and dignity and goes ...... where no man has gone before her.

However, no I did not know the parentage of the others under their new deluxe trappings as Oceania and Azamara - glad to hear these small ships have many more lives in them as we HAL fans worry they will start retiring our favorite small ships in their line-up too: the R and S class 1200 passenger ones and their 600 passenger Prinsendam is even older still but remains one of their more popular.

Speaking of real sinkings, I learned my original circumnavigation ship the Lloyd-Triestino line Galileo Galilei got sold and became the original ship inaugurating Celebrity Cruise lines converted into the all-suite ship Merdian as the industry moved from being mere long-distance people-movers into vacation oriented leisure travel conveyors. (We had bunk beds and bathrooms down the hall when I sailed her in mid 1970's.)

She went down under another name off Penang as a Singapore gambling ship a few years ago, with no loss of life and is now enjoying her next life an underwater wreck diving site, much like the former Navy aircraft carrier the USS Oriskany, but intentionally sunk off the shallow waters of Pensacola, Florida for the same purpose.

On September 25, 2001, Renaissance Cruises declared bankruptcy. My wife and I were on the R7 at the time, and I knew something was afoot when--late in the evening--I felt the ship change course (it was returning to Dover instead of continuing from Le Havre to St. Peter Port). I've written a first-hand report on what

happened on the R7 that I can't link to here, but a Google search on the Renaissance bankruptcy 10 years later might point you in the right direction.

I always love reading about the eight R beauties. Recently the R Eight got a new life as P&O's Adonia and R One in April 2012 will get a brief new life for about two-years as the Columbus 2 for Hapag-Lloyd.

Have sailed and will sail again on the Island Princess (now MV Discovery) sister ship of the LoveBoat - Pacific Princess. Like all women of a certain age she hides her wrinkles under plenty of paint, but she still sails with pride and dignity and goes ...... where no man has gone before her.

However, no I did not know the parentage of the others under their new deluxe trappings as Oceania and Azamara - glad to hear these small ships have many more lives in them as we HAL fans worry they will start retiring our favorite small ships in their line-up too: the R and S class 1200 passenger ones and their 600 passenger Prinsendam is even older still but remains one of their more popular.

Speaking of real sinkings, I learned my original circumnavigation ship the Lloyd-Triestino line Galileo Galilei got sold and became the original ship inaugurating Celebrity Cruise lines converted into the all-suite ship Merdian as the industry moved from being mere long-distance people-movers into vacation oriented leisure travel conveyors. (We had bunk beds and bathrooms down the hall when I sailed her in mid 1970's.)

She went down under another name off Penang as a Singapore gambling ship a few years ago, with no loss of life and is now enjoying her next life an underwater wreck diving site, much like the former Navy aircraft carrier the USS Oriskany, but intentionally sunk off the shallow waters of Pensacola, Florida for the same purpose.

Do you mean the SS Sun Vista? There is a video on youtube showing her sinking

I just googled and found your report, wow I enjoyed reading and very interesting, the performers still putting on a show sounded wonderful and very toucing. Do you have any memorbilia tha you took with you from that cruise?

I always love reading about the eight R beauties. Recently the R Eight got a new life as P&O's Adonia and R One in April 2012 will get a brief new life for about two-years as the Columbus 2 for Hapag-Lloyd.

Do you mean the SS Sun Vista? There is a video on youtube showing her sinking

Yes, that is her or was her. :( Thanks for the youtube tip, though I think I would prefer to see her sailing in the days I knew her for 60 days around the world.:D

Renaissance cruises gone, yes, but the owners are still doing fine, now operating Oceana Cruises. We've never even considered an Oceana cruise after the owners stranded all the Ren passengers and to-be passengers. Our neighbors lost $10,000 on a cruise that never happened. Very sad end to that line.

Renaissance cruises gone, yes, but the owners are still doing fine, now operating Oceana Cruises. We've never even considered an Oceana cruise after the owners stranded all the Ren passengers and to-be passengers. Our neighbors lost $10,000 on a cruise that never happened. Very sad end to that line.

I think you will find that the owners of OCEANIA cruise are not the same owner as Ren

Hmmm, my recollections and research indicate Oceania was started by at least one executive of the defunct Renaissance Cruise Lines, per this from the Sun Sentinel in Ft. Lauderdale, 2002. But it appears I'm incorrect in thinking he was with Renaissance Cruises at time of its collapse since he apparently left several months before.

2 Cruise Execs Form New Line

By Tom Stieghorst Business Writer, October 15, 2002

Two cruise veterans say they plan to launch a new cruise line using three of the former vessels of Fort Lauderdale-based Renaissance Cruises. The venture, to be called Oceana Cruises, is headed by Frank Del Rio and Joseph Watters, and will be marketed to traditional premium and luxury cruise customers. Del Rio was a long-time Renaissance Cruises official who resigned as co-chief executive in May 2001, shortly after a refinancing. About the same time, Watters resigned from Los Angeles-based Crystal Cruises, where he had served as president for seven years.

Hmmm, my recollections and research indicate Oceania was started by at least one executive of the defunct Renaissance Cruise Lines, per this from the Sun Sentinel in Ft. Lauderdale, 2002. But it appears I'm incorrect in thinking he was with Renaissance Cruises at time of its collapse since he apparently left several months before.

Yes several articles on Mr Del Rio and how he left Ren some say he was let go some he quit ... months also vary from Feb to May

A little research before accusing someone of misdoing ;)

We love the product Oceania however it came to be

• 4 months later...

Archived