Familiar with Detroit or Minneapolis?

gumballz

I've never flown to, or through, either airport (Detroit - DTW & Minneapolis/St Paul - MSP), so I'm not sure how 'bad' (or good) these airports are.

I'm looking at airfare from Phoenix to Miami. Can someone tell me a minimum time suggested between flights at both of these airports in order for me not to be concerned about making the connection? Right now I'm looking at Northwest, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

I am quite familiar with both. DTW is a very new terminal (vast change from the previous home of NW) with easy connections and many shopping/eating options. MSP is a sprawling airport, yet the multiplicity of moving walkways and a tram down the A/B/C concourses makes it relatively easy to get around for an airport of its size.

You would be on NW mainline for both legs on either itinerary -so you would have a minimum connect time of 30 minutes for either airport. NW starts boarding flights at 30 minutes prior to flight time (and 40 minutes for 757-300's and some 757-200 flights). Personally, I would want at least 45 minutes in MSP (since there is more walking) to avoid having to rush to your gates. I always try to have a comfortable connect - makes for a better travel experience. But 30 minutes is definitely doable in both cities.

At MSP, there is one NW concourse that has no walkway (F concourse), so you aren't able to use automation to speed the journey. There are golf-carts that are used to take people from gate to gate (priority to seniors and the like), but they operate on designated concourses (routes). So you might have to wait to get one going your way.

At DTW, the terminal is roughly a mile long. To manage that, there are moving walkways for the length of the terminal. There are gaps between the walkways as you move through the concourse. Above the concourse (inside) is a tram that takes you from one end to the other, and to a station in the middle. Very easy to use. There are large displays that indicate whether it is better to take the tram or to walk directly to your next gate. Connecting is very simple and easier IMO than in MSP.

You likely have better dining options at MSP, and slightly better shopping at DTW - if either of those is a consideration. NW is very good at handling cold-weather and snow at both airports -- I don't worry about transiting them in winter as I might at ORD or DEN.

I would personally route PHX-DTW-MIA. More flight options out of DTW if you are delayed (either to MIA or FLL) and a newer terminal. You don't say when you are flying or possible flights, so I haven't considered aircraft types or services. But either one should work OK for you.

NW is very good at handling cold-weather and snow at both airports -- I don't worry about transiting them in winter as I might at ORD or DEN.

I don't know that I really agree with that statement. For all that Denver had the major snowstorms that shut them down last winter, I'd tend to say DEN is better than DTW at handling snow. We just don't get as much, so it's not quite as likely to have a major snowstorm cause problems. (That said, I've been through DTW on a major snowstorm, ironically it was all the NW flights that were having problems, the gates for the other airlines were cleared first.)

To be honest, neither of those routes sound particularly pleasant for a phoenix to miami trip.

Thank you for the information. We're looking to fly in April of 2008, so hopefully snow won't be an issue.

Piper, As far as the trip being pleasant...unfortunately anytime we fly to Miami it's not really pleasant. It's a LONG day. lol I understand what you're saying though. Thanks!

FlyerTalker, that was the most detailed response I've ever gotten on CC. I really appreciate it! It's a big help! :)

Don't forget that there are actually two terminals in MSP. so if you are connecting to certain airlines, like AirTran you literally have to take an actual Train to get from one terminal to another.

Yes, that is true -- however, AirTran, Icelandic, Midwest, and Sun Country are the only airlines using the Humphrey terminal. The chances of connecting from one of those to another non-Humphrey terminal airline at MSP is quite low (except for Icelandic, IMO). The OP mentioned flying NW - all of NW's flights are in the sprawling Lindbergh terminal building.

Yes, that is true -- however, AirTran, Icelandic, Midwest, and Sun Country are the only airlines using the Humphrey terminal. The chances of connecting from one of those to another non-Humphrey terminal airline at MSP is quite low (except for Icelandic, IMO). The OP mentioned flying NW - all of NW's flights are in the sprawling Lindbergh terminal building.

Yeah true, I was just bringing it up in case someone reading was trying to use this information and not flying Northwest. Thanks for posting all the airlines!

FlyerTalker's post was very thorough and informative. As an MSP-based NW frequent flyer, I have a few additional notes.

There are actually two concourses without moving walkways -- E and F. These are the shortest concourses, so you can actually walk them in about the same amount of time it would take to ride the moving walkway down C or G.

MSP's main terminal has a really nice shopping area. Most of the retail space has recently been occupied by more upscale, unique stores. Likewise, the dining options at MSP have been expanding greatly, with the addition of outposts of local restaurants like the French Meadow Bakery and Ike's. If you have a lengthy layover at MSP, it is very convenient to take the light rail from the airport to the Mall of America (a few stops away) or into downtown Minneapolis (about 35 minutes away). The light rail connection between the two terminals (mentioned by CruisinMatt) is out of commission until this fall, but shuttle buses are available.

A snowstorm in April '08 is a possibility in MSP, but it's unlikely to be so severe as to significantly impact airport operations.

As for DTW, I spend less time there, but the efficiency of the main terminal layout can't be stressed enough. You can make a connection from one end of the mile-long concourse to the other end in ten minutes from gate to gate ... I've done it, as have most road warriors connecting through DTW. Just take the signs seriously when they tell you which gates you should connect with using the tram. If you think it will be faster to just use the moving walkways from A1 to A60, you will be a very unhappy camper.

A couple of additional thoughts and comments:

1) I did not include a couple of charter airlines that fly out of the Humphrey terminal at MSP. This includes Champion, Miami Air, Ryan International, and Xtra. Those being point-to-points really decreased the likelihood of a connect issue, but I might as well make the list complete.

2) The E concourse at MSP wasn't mentioned, as it is pretty much where the "other airlines" (read non-NW) operate. I know the F concourse well, as my westbound flights almost always leave from F11 or F13 (at the end, of course). The time just seems to take longer since you don't have the illusion of moving faster on the walkways.

3) At DTW - Take the tram if it is indicated!!! I did a little test. I wanted to see what was better if I was just missing a tram at the end station. (Had a LONG connection and plenty of time for experimentation) I walked briskly on the walkways and still would have gotten there faster to wait for the next tram to arrive and take me to the middle station. To go from one end to the other by foot is for those who haven't gotten in their daily exercise and need to put in some workout time.

4) See you on the red-tail sometime, J-man. Or maybe at a WorldClub. Look for the FlyerTalk luggage tag on my carry-on.

4) See you on the red-tail sometime, J-man. Or maybe at a WorldClub. Look for the FlyerTalk luggage tag on my carry-on.

You bet! I'll be the one trying to figure out the frickin' Douwe Egberts coffee machines.

Are you flying in a day early? Son was thru DTW recently with Northwest and hit delayed flights on both the trip out and the trip back. Missed connector on the way out due to the delay and couldnt get another flight for 14 hours. Obviously not the norm but something to keep in mind (with any airline, any flight). Of course he isnt speaking highly of Northwest or DTW right now.:)

Archived