Canon D10 has just about had it

We just came back from a B2B. First leg we were in D.R. and went on a tour to a beach area and DH took the camera in snorkeling. We also stopped at an area to see starfish on the way back to the ship. (I also got a picture of a sea urchin) Anyway, I think it was the next day we were walking around the ship and went into one of the lounges. I went to take a picture. I turned the camera off, then decided to take another picture turning the camera back on. It start acting crazy, with the LCD coming up with things that I've never seen before. Things on it like big toy blocks with countdown numbers counting something down. Kept doing this for some time. I shut it off, then it wouldn't turn back on. We tried a new battery and card. It turned on but now we saw condensation on the screen. So I figured it must have leaked either snorkeling or when we went into the ocean to see the starfish. It's funny though, that it didn't act up right away. And even weirder is that sometimes the screen would get foggy when we would go out during the days in port, and sometimes it wouldn't. I had other cameras with me, but wanted to take this one when we got to Ocho Rios. I didn't want to take any of the others on that island. I'm debating calling my insurance on it. It does work. It's just that sometimes it fogs up. I'm not sure if I should call the insurance or not.

There was another thread on here maybe 1 1/2-2 years ago about issues with the D10. Mine would have a lens error when turning on, sometimes. Per the thread - I sent mine back to Canon and got a refurbished one sent back. It was great. But now - it won't hold a charge. I have 2 batteries (kept the original and the one that came with the refurb) and if the camera sits off for a few hours - it won't turn on due to low battery.

I am planning on getting a new waterproof point and shoot before my next vaca that goes near water. I'm just not 100% convinced to go with Canon for this again.

My first Canon D10 I purchased went kerplunk after my last vacation...and out of the blue without a warning it just wouldn't turn on. It made it during vacation and when we got home, the next time I went to use it, it just wouldn't come on at all. I have tried changing batteries, memory cards, giving it that "love tap" and nothing works. It's just dead. :(

I can say, now that you mentioned it, this D10 did have a few issues on the vacation before my last with the fogging too. It would happen at random times and not just during snorkeling. Then all of a sudden it would clear up and not happen again for awhile.

I still have my other D10 and haven't had any issues with it so far. If it plays out, I'll stick with my Olympus Tough. I like it a lot better and it's easier to use, smaller, and has more settings. :)

• 1 month later...

I have had my d10 for almost 4 yrs. I haven't had any problems until this cruise. Our first port was Cozumel and we went to Chankanaab. It was working when I went out snorkeling, but not when I came back to shore. The LCD screen was black. It would still take photos, but you couldn't see what you were getting.

So now to find another underwater camera.......

I am planning on getting a new waterproof point and shoot before my next vaca that goes near water. I'm just not 100% convinced to go with Canon for this again.

I found a deal at Sam's club and have gone with the Fuji XP60. It was only $140... doesn't have gps and some of the other newer bells and whistles, but is waterproof and shockproof... I haven't played too much with it yet... lots of program/scene options (too many maybe). At better than 1/2 price of the Canon D20 or Go Pro, I hope it performs decent.