Suggestions on air San Francisco to Athens (round-trip)

chees

We are taking a two week cruise in September so I thought I would ask the pros for suggestions/recommendations BEFORE i buy, instead of trying to validate my decision after the fact. :-)

Want to arrive in Athens a day before our 9/21 departure, so have to fly out of SFO on Thursday, 9/19.

Our cruise ends on Saturday, 10/5 - we can come home either that Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning -- open to suggestions on best routing/airlines/airports to pass through/etc. Just need to be back for work on Monday.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions you send my way. FYI we fly coach (cheap) but will spend a bit more for better routing, etc. (not for better seats).

Tina

Nobody goes non-stop, so you are looking to connect in Frankfurt or London, most likely. I would avoid connecting in Paris.

Doubt many go Athens to any East Coast US city, but sure some do. However, many will tell you to go non-stop from Europe to SFO, as then you only claim your bags once- in SF, and go thru Immigration there.

Personally, as a United frequently flyer, I would go Athens to Frankfurt on Lufthansa, then either Lufthansa or United Frankfurt to SF.

I agree with Bruce's last sentence but I would try to go through Munich. When I did a quick Kayak search I saw non stop SFO-MUN flights and MUN-ATH flights on both your days, but the system didn't seem to book them together. Having flown IAD-FRA-ATH and not making our connection in FRA, I really regretted not going through MUN. I understand it is a fine airport...hope to find out personally someday.

As far as your return date, if it was me I would fly home on Saturday even it is is a very very very long day. When I am finished with my vacation, I want to get home and I would enjoy having Sunday to start to get adjusted before returning to work on Monday.

When I did a quick Kayak search I saw non stop SFO-MUN flights ...
Just in case someone tries to use these codes rather than the city names: It would not be a good idea to search for SFO-MUN flights. That would take you to Maturín in Venezuela.

The code for Munich is MUC.

Actually, I'd shoot for Delta's nonstop from JFK to Athens, and skip the scrum at some European airport. On your outbound day, SFO-JFK-ATH is also among the fastest and cheapest itineraries.

Coming back, you can route through Paris, Amsterdam, or, again, JFK, using Delta or its partners KLM and Air France.

Use ITA - http://matrix.itasoftware.com - for fare searches, and be mindful of the departure times from Athens, so you don't put yourself in a jam on disembarkation day.

Just in case someone tries to use these codes rather than the city names: It would not be a good idea to search for SFO-MUN flights. That would take you to Maturín in Venezuela.

The code for Munich is MUC.

oops....and I knew that.

well at least the MUC part:rolleyes:

Thanks Globaliser!

Archived