Tipping Private Tour Operators

Your driver/guide will be appropriately paid for their work so anything you give them will be extra. That is to say, people in this country do not generally rely on tips to give them a living wage.

That said, it is always a good idea to reward good service. A guide can make or break any tour. I would base any tip on around 10% of the cost and adjust it up or down as I thought appropriate.

One exception is the free tours that can often be found in places like Greenock for example. These people are volunteers and don't get paid. You should give them whatever you think they are worth.

If the guide/driver is the owner of the tour company would you still tip 10%??

If they were good- yes I would. Tour guides are frequently self-employed and the operator you book with acts as a booking agency. So in that sense, a guide will often be their own boss, driving their own car.

If they were good- yes I would. Tour guides are frequently self-employed and the operator you book with acts as a booking agency. So in that sense, a guide will often be their own boss, driving their own car.

Our guide owns the company & I booked direct with him

He did send me a copy of the invoice where his cut is 15% of the total tour

So maybe the rest goes back into the company that is why I asked

Anyway I will tip accordingly

Thanks

Lyn

If the guide is already taking 15% on the invoice, then I wouldn't leave any extra. 15% is a lot in the UK. It is not customary to leave large tips in the UK or the rest of Europe.

If you have official Blue Badge guides, then they are paid extremely well for their services.

If the guide is already taking 15% on the invoice, then I wouldn't leave any extra. 15% is a lot in the UK. It is not customary to leave large tips in the UK or the rest of Europe.

If you have official Blue Badge guides, then they are paid extremely well for their services.

Are you getting the wrong end of the stick?

Or is it me?

Probably. :rolleyes:

But it sounds to me that from the invoice price 85% is going to the transport (taxi driver?, fuel etc), any admission fees, booking agency & other disbursements, leaving the guide with a "wage" of the remaining 15%.

I reckon a guide should be earning from around £8 per hour, plus tips commensurate with the service - mebbe £20 total for a day, £10 for a half-day. But that's just MHO.

JB :)

I will explain

The tour is with a private company in Wales

the owner is the guide/driver

Tour price is 480 GBP for 11 people

on the invoice it shows his commission is 15% of the total price

I suspect that he is earning his wage with the 15% & the rest goes to the company accounts

Business owners here will pay themselves from the Company as they do if they have employees

I have no problem tipping just wondered how it worked in the UK when it is the owner of the company ;)

Some tours we have done in other Countries they do not expect extra but always appreciated I am sure

Lyn

I will explain

The tour is with a private company in Wales

the owner is the guide/driver

Tour price is 480 GBP for 11 people

on the invoice it shows his commission is 15% of the total price

I suspect that he is earning his wage with the 15% & the rest goes to the company accounts

Business owners here will pay themselves from the Company as they do if they have employees

I have no problem tipping just wondered how it worked in the UK when it is the owner of the company ;)

Some tours we have done in other Countries they do not expect extra but always appreciated I am sure

Lyn

Well that makes it complicated to figure how much goes into his pocket. :confused:

How much of our income was profits from our private company & how much was our wages all depended on what was the most tax-efficient split. No way would I apportion it before the end of the tax year.

Leaving that aside, I guess the norm for "a guide" for that (full-day?) tour would be from £5 per couple (max £10 per couple) & nowt for kids.

Or zilch if the guide wasn't too special - or dropped more than the most-subtle hint :(.

But as you know, it's no big deal.

If others disagree, that's OK. Let battle commence :D

Leaving that aside, I guess the norm for "a guide" for that (full-day?) tour would be from £5 per couple (max £10 per couple) & nowt for kids.

Or zilch if the guide wasn't too special - or dropped more than the most-subtle hint :(.

Thanks JB

I was thinking 5-10 GBP per couple for a 5 hr tour

if we pay for their lunch then we usually tip on the lower side

I agree if they drop hints then I do less :D

Just did not want to be Cheap Canadians :D

Lyn

Sorry - I had mistakenly assumed that the tour was a private one for just the OP. On a coach tour - JB and I are in complete agreement.

As far as lunch goes, it is quite normal for the driver and guide to get a free meal as a reward for bringing a load of customers. I would not see this as me paying for their lunch.

Edited by Bob++

The driver and guide will get a free meal from the establishment they take you to. In addition, they will most likely get a commission from the place or at least something. There is certainly no need to pay for their lunch.

For a 5 hour tour I would think £5 per couple tip is more than enough.

The driver and guide will get a free meal from the establishment they take you to. In addition, they will most likely get a commission from the place or at least something. There is certainly no need to pay for their lunch.

For a 5 hour tour I would think £5 per couple tip is more than enough.

We will be in a town for lunch & several of us may just wander so we probably will not all be eating in the same restaurant

;)

Will see how it goes

Thanks

Lyn

We will be in a town for lunch & several of us may just wander so we probably will not all be eating in the same restaurant

;)

Will see how it goes

Thanks

Lyn

If your not eating with your guide you do not pay for his lunch...the guides get a percentage plus lunch from the overpriced and touristy restaurants they take you to. Your way better off on your own as you have planned.