Zaanse Schans and Keukenhof (Amsterdam)

CathyK2

We have an all night flight that gets in to Amsterdam in the morning. We plan to rent a car at the airport to get to Rotterdam where our ship sails out the next day. We will be doing Amsterdam after our cruise, but thought the full day we have before heading to Rotterdam, we would like to visit Zaanse Schans in the morning and Keukenhof in the afternoon and then calling it an early night.

We have been to Keukenhof many years ago, but this will be a first time for Zaanse Schans so I was hoping I could get some pointers. I understand parking is about 9 Euros but that there is no admission other than for some of the windmills and museums. We don't plan to be doing any museums, but was wondering what some of you feel are the "not to be missed" things to do here. I hear about the Dutch Clogs, cheese making, etc which I will be sure to do and plan to go in at least one windmill, but anything else that stands out from your visits here? Is there a place to get a map of the area when getting there? Any places recommended for a light lunch? Any feedback from anyone on pointers to make this a great visit would be so very appreciated.

We visited Zaanse Schans 2 years ago - really enjoyed our day there. We ate at De Hoop op d'Swarte Walvis - a nice restaurant with good food & excellent service. There is also a pancake house at Zaanse Schans & a café in the museum. There were maps available at the museum. You can also look at the online map:

http://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/map/

and there is also an app available for download from the website above.

Indeed paid parking at Zaanse Schans. Entree fee only for the various windmills. No entrance fee for the clogs and cheese etc.

There is a nice simple restaurant - sandwiches pancakes etc.-near the parking and another one more expensive - Hoop op de swarte walvis - with a terrace on the water.

Check the link given to you to see what windmills you might be interest in..

Keukenhof is in Lisse, I assume you have directions hows to get there. Entrance fee and paid parking there. http://www.keukenhof.nl/en/

Driving time from Zaanse Schans to Lisse takes about just over 1 hour excl. stops and possible traffic delays.

dogs4fun and Ine, Thank you so much for your details. It is very appreciated. So am I correct in feeling that this place is done up like a small town vs anything gated you have to get in to? But it's a small town without street parking, so you park in a designated parking lot? It sounds like it should be a lot of fun.

It sounds like the windmills are staggered as to which ones are opened each day, so I imagine that there isn't a particular one that is best that people want to be getting in to and you just take the one opened that day?

And yes, I think we will remember how to get to Keukehof, although if we don't, the car is suppose to have GPS in it.

dogs4fun and Ine, Thank you so much for your details. It is very appreciated. So am I correct in feeling that this place is done up like a small town vs anything gated you have to get in to? But it's a small town without street parking, so you park in a designated parking lot? It sounds like it should be a lot of fun.

It sounds like the windmills are staggered as to which ones are opened each day, so I imagine that there isn't a particular one that is best that people want to be getting in to and you just take the one opened that day?

And yes, I think we will remember how to get to Keukehof, although if we don't, the car is suppose to have GPS in it.

Yes indeed it is like a small village. Most houses were before in neighbouring villages where they had to be taken down. Either because they were in bad shap or needed to be removed due traffic etc. All are renovated and re built at Zaanse Schans. In many houses people live. You will also see the first Albert Heyn shop, nowadays a big grocery chain AH in The Netherlands and also (part?) owners of stop and shop. A watch museum, an old fashioned bakery, clogs making, cheese making (and they sell some very special ones), and some windmills. Interesting to see the interior how things work. Parking indeed is in a special area, for those who are familiar there is free street parking across the river.

Once in the vicinity of Lisse (and often before that) you will find plenty of signs for Keukenhof.

Yes indeed it is like a small village. Most houses were before in neighbouring villages where they had to be taken down. Either because they were in bad shap or needed to be removed due traffic etc. All are renovated and re built at Zaanse Schans. In many houses people live. You will also see the first Albert Heyn shop, nowadays a big grocery chain AH in The Netherlands and also (part?) owners of stop and shop. A watch museum, an old fashioned bakery, clogs making, cheese making (and they sell some very special ones), and some windmills. Interesting to see the interior how things work. Parking indeed is in a special area, for those who are familiar there is free street parking across the river.

Once in the vicinity of Lisse (and often before that) you will find plenty of signs for Keukenhof.

We will be there on a Friday. Is there a certain windmill we should be looking for to go in if I'm only wanting to do one? Meaning, of those on Friday, which is the best in peoples opinions?

We will be there on a Friday. Is there a certain windmill we should be looking for to go in if I'm only wanting to do one? Meaning, of those on Friday, which is the best in peoples opinions?

It just depends what you interested in. Since they are rather close together make the decision once you there, Not all of them can be visited.

It just depends what you interested in. Since they are rather close together make the decision once you there, Not all of them can be visited.

Since I've never been all that close to a windmill and most certainly never inside one.... what would you see from the outside that would indicate which one would be most interesting inside? When you say it depends on what I'm interested in....can you give me an idea of what the different options would be that would make them different inside? I guess this must be confusing, but I have no clue even what one would expect.

Since I've never been all that close to a windmill and most certainly never inside one.... what would you see from the outside that would indicate which one would be most interesting inside? When you say it depends on what I'm interested in....can you give me an idea of what the different options would be that would make them different inside? I guess this must be confusing, but I have no clue even what one would expect.

The inside of a windmill is more or less the same, you will see how the different wheels make the machines inside work and make a certain product. You will get explanation about this, like in the mill that saws wood, the one that makes paint etc. On at least one of the mills you can go up one floor and have a terrif view over zaanse schans and river zaan.

The mill that makes mustard cannot be visited but sells their mustard.

Although this is a movie in dutch re the working of a mill, it might interest you:http://www.moleneducatief.nl/media.php?m=8&c=54

As Ine said, it depends on your interests. But to give you a clue, according to the website(http://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/opening-hours/#Windmills), it looks like the following mills will be open on Fridays (I've included a brief description of each mill):

De Huisman - (The Houseman) - mustard mill (does not use wind to grind the mustard seeds – more modern technology used)

De Kat - (The Cat) - paint mill (grinds raw materials to make pigments – it is the only remaining working windmill in the world that makes paint)

De Zoeker - (The Seeker) - oil mill (seeds pressed to make vegetable oil – only remaining working oil mill)

Het Jonge Schaap - (The Young Sheep) – saw mill

Personally, we found De Zoeker & De Kat the more interesting mills, but I think they are all very interesting. So, based on the descriptions above, you can decide which might be more interesting to you.

We also really enjoyed:

Albert Heijn – restored first store of this chain – very interesting - delicious candies for sale

Clock museum – antique clocks – also very interesting

We spent an entire day visiting Zaanse Schans and absolutely loved strolling around.

Edited by dogs4fun

The inside of a windmill is more or less the same, you will see how the different wheels make the machines inside work and make a certain product. You will get explanation about this, like in the mill that saws wood, the one that makes paint etc. On at least one of the mills you can go up one floor and have a terrif view over zaanse schans and river zaan.

The mill that makes mustard cannot be visited but sells their mustard.

Although this is a movie in dutch re the working of a mill, it might interest you:http://www.moleneducatief.nl/media.php?m=8&c=54

Thank you. The one that you can go up in for a view, do you happen to know which one and what the purpose of that particular windmill is?

As Ine said, it depends on your interests. But to give you a clue, according to the website(http://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/opening-hours/#Windmills), it looks like the following mills will be open on Fridays (I've included a brief description of each mill):

De Huisman - (The Houseman) - mustard mill (does not use wind to grind the mustard seeds – more modern technology used)

De Kat - (The Cat) - paint mill (grinds raw materials to make pigments – it is the only remaining working windmill in the world that makes paint)

De Zoeker - (The Seeker) - oil mill (seeds pressed to make vegetable oil – only remaining working oil mill)

Het Jonge Schaap - (The Young Sheep) – saw mill

Personally, we found De Zoeker & De Kat the more interesting mills, but I think they are all very interesting. So, based on the descriptions above, you can decide which might be more interesting to you.

We also really enjoyed:

Albert Heijn – restored first store of this chain – very interesting - delicious candies for sale

Clock museum – antique clocks – also very interesting

We spent an entire day visiting Zaanse Schans and absolutely loved strolling around.

Thank you!!!!!! This is perfect and helps so very very much. And yes, it sounds like an excellent way to spend a day.