Newbie needs assistance

hangover

We are planning to take the 14 day cruise in Nov.2017.Being from Canada we like to get away when it turns cold here. Initially was thinking Feb. but looking at different internet sites, it seems to be in the height of the raining season. Nov. seems to be the start of the raining season and looking at reviews on this site, from people traveling then, I see it being humid but rain not a issue. Would this be a good ASSUMPTION:)

We enjoy the smaller ships and the all inclusive aspects. Just returned from Crystal Serenity where we had a great time.

In reading the last couple of reviews seem to be getting a mixed message regarding the cruise line. One review stating they were required to pay a surcharge for shrimp cocktail ? Is this the norm

We cruise to relax, beach, snorkeling ,swimming and to relax on deck with a good glass of wine . Entertainment and lectures not a factor for us. Will travel a couple days prior to cruise and probably stay at the Inter. Cont.

Based on the above comments should we have any issues with this line?

thanks

This is a very good line, service is their top priority. A very loyal crew and a very loyal client base.

Never been charge extra for any food item, all inclusive, this includes having creme brulee delivered to my cabin, freshly made just for me.

As far as weather you are correct, November - March is the most humid and a tad warmer but I've never had issue with rain during this time except once, and I've been there often during that time period. Only one time in many many trips did we have a rain out day, meaning all day, usually the rain comes in the morning and within an hour it passes.

Keep in mind the higher humidity gives you skies like this .... great for photo opportunities.

i-CfCBSz4-XL.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

We are both Crystal and PG fans.

Food on PG not as good as on Crystal but equals Regent or Oceania IMO. Part of the reason for this is the availability of the ingredients. Not sure about Shrimp Cocktail being in the room service menu. You can request stuff like this but from what I have heard there are mixed responses therefore in line with what you read.

Regarding size of ship there is a huge difference between Serenity and PG.

the PG is very intimate and very casual.

The luxury is being in beautiful FP and sailing into the lagoons.

PG service is spectacular. On Crystal I have noticed it can be spotty. We had fabulous service last two Symphony trips but very mediocre on Serenity.

Crystal has much more entertainment options. But, in FP the PG brings the unique spirit of The islands onto the ship.

We travel Crystal in the rest of the world but only the PG in FP. For example we have two PG booked and two Crystal in the next two years. Will be on the PG in two weeks so if you have and specific questions I will get answers for you.

While on a PG cruise a couple of years ago, we requested with 24 hours notice Oysters Rockefeller for dinner time. When asked would we like 12 on the plate we replied yes thinking 6 each. Well, out came a plate of 12 for each one at the table! We had to share with those sitting all around us! There was no charge!

I would like more details on the shrimp.

We've travelled there in May, June, September and December. Our next trip will be in October. Yes, it's hotter and more humid in the Society Islands during our winter, and there may be a tropical downpour once in a while, more rarely a storm. But it's still lovely on the ship, and great for water-based activities most of the time.

If this is the Marquesas trip you're taking, I believe it's their dry season (different climate from the Societies)--we were there in December and had only one tropical downpour one day on the entire trip. The scenery in the Marquesas is spectacular.

While on a PG cruise a couple of years ago, we requested with 24 hours notice Oysters Rockefeller for dinner time. When asked would we like 12 on the plate we replied yes thinking 6 each. Well, out came a plate of 12 for each one at the table! We had to share with those sitting all around us! There was no charge!

I would like more details on the shrimp.

I think the shrimp cocktail would be no problem at dinner but maybe a problem at room service. I will ask them when I am on in two weeks.

Didn't know about the oysters....my DDs fave.

Whatever is on the evening menu in the main dining room L'Etoile can be ordered for room service. You cannot order off the dining room menu prior to the official dinner time. So ........... if shrimp cocktail is on the dinner menu it should not be an issue.

I don't recall if there is a shrimp cocktail on the room service menu ...

Whatever is on the evening menu in the main dining room L'Etoile can be ordered for room service. You cannot order off the dining room menu prior to the official dinner time. So ........... if shrimp cocktail is on the dinner menu it should not be an issue.

I don't recall if there is a shrimp cocktail on the room service menu ...

For the longest time shrimp cocktail was unofficially on room service. One year in Regent days I was told it wasn't possible but then the next day received an apology with a bottle of Veuve.

Thanks everyone for the great information. Makes my Spouse and I much more comfortable with our decision. I must say I was a bit concerned when I saw the last two cruise reviews especially regarding the food. I did a cut and paste of the review regarding the shrimp and from those comments was not sure if the all inclusive was restrictive.

Food was only mediocre and many times served only warm. Coffee in the grill was served warm until we sent back for hot coffee two days in a row. With few exceptions, food was bland. NY steak served in main dining room was about 1/2 inch thick. I have seen better at Sizzler. (Side note: Asked for a Shrimp Cocktail appetizer in main restaurant and was told there would be an extra charge. Really???? at these prices. Shameful!!)

Will continue to monitor the site and look fwd. to your comments "Emdee" from you upcoming cruise

Remember food is very personal and subjective. Look for trends, I note that the 2 reviews you referenced (I went to the review section on this website) and read both and thought that perhaps they came from the same cabin since they were right next to each other.

Sometimes people board the PG with unrealistic expectations. We have cruised on Oceania, Regent, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Holland America. We know mass market and upend lines. We find the service and food to on par with the luxury lines (remember the PG has to source most of its food from afar and that makes it hard). Money doesn't flow with us and we would not be making our 9th PG cruise if we didn't feel like we were "pampered" and take care of" to quote my dear husband.

I always feel, if something is not right for you, speak up. 9 of 10 times you will be acknowledged and it will be corrected. If the server or other crew member doesn't make it right move up on the feeding chain!

Relax! You are in for a treat!

I think the temperature and how it feels depends on where you live. We have never felt the the weather in FP was too humid or hot. We have cruised in October, November and December with only a occasional short rain shower.

We live in Southern California and perhaps someone from a more northern climate would think different.