When you can't do on-line anything prior to sailing

westendkathy

So...I wasn't planning to go on a cruise this week but I was asked to help a friend who booked talent for an RCL cruise, and here I am. I've been boning up on Cruise Critic and every other resource I can find. Questions that have come up: We haven't done anything online. At all. Other parties have done all the payment, paperwork, etc. So we'll be showing up the day of the cruise, with passports and hopefully, some registration numbers, etc.

We both wanted the adult beverage package. How bad is it that we won't be able to request or pay for it until we are on board?

Same for dinner reservations, etc. We can't do anything until we get on board. Big problem, little problem, no problem?

How chilly does it get in the evening, if you're going from a common area to the cabin areas? This is a Caribbean cruise. Light jackets? Shawl? Sleeveless?

Is there a best way to communicate with others in our group? We all will have pay as you go international plans from our cell companies, and we'll all buy the internet package.

Any other pitfalls for signing up at the last minute? Like, "forget any spa time" etc?

I'm excited and hoping I'll bring enough positive experiences back to my family so they'll consider cruising, but logistics mean not being able to do a lot of the tips I've read here.

If you found out today that you could go on a cruise three days from now, what would you do to make things as smooth as possible, given that timeframe?

So...I wasn't planning to go on a cruise this week but I was asked to help a friend who booked talent for an RCL cruise, and here I am. I've been boning up on Cruise Critic and every other resource I can find. Questions that have come up: We haven't done anything online. At all. Other parties have done all the payment, paperwork, etc. So we'll be showing up the day of the cruise, with passports and hopefully, some registration numbers, etc.

We both wanted the adult beverage package. How bad is it that we won't be able to request or pay for it until we are on board?

You can buy the beverage packages on board any day of the cruise as long as there are at least four days remaining (including the last day) on the cruise. Sometimes they will offer on board special pricing.

Same for dinner reservations, etc. We can't do anything until we get on board. Big problem, little problem, no problem?

If you don't pre-select early or late seating, you will likely end up with My Time Dining (unless that is full, at which point they will assign a seating). With MTD you can pre-book or make reservations daily as you go - both options available on board.

How chilly does it get in the evening, if you're going from a common area to the cabin areas? This is a Caribbean cruise. Light jackets? Shawl? Sleeveless?

Never chilly enough for us for a sweater - but each person might be different. Typically mid-high seventies in the evening.

Is there a best way to communicate with others in our group? We all will have pay as you go international plans from our cell companies, and we'll all buy the internet package.

Talk each day - make plans and times / places to meet. Post its on the doors. Messages on the phones. It really is not that difficult and no need to text, etc., IMO

Any other pitfalls for signing up at the last minute? Like, "forget any spa time" etc?

No, other than if you are going on a ship that allows you to pre-book entertainment times, you will have to do that on board and some preferred times may be booked.

I'm excited and hoping I'll bring enough positive experiences back to my family so they'll consider cruising, but logistics mean not being able to do a lot of the tips I've read here.

If you found out today that you could go on a cruise three days from now, what would you do to make things as smooth as possible, given that timeframe?

Nothing other than pack fast and go and enjoy!

See my responses in red. BTW, what ship? What itinerary?

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks--this is so helpful! I guess I need to read up on MTD but it sounds like something we'd pick anyway. And I'm feeling better about clothing choices I packed :-)

The text thing is a must, unfortunately. Even if it doesn't get used we need to offer availability.

Off to stick some ziploc bags into the luggage!

Kathy,

You got good thorough answers. Lots of people (ladies) take a shawl or thin pashmina for inside, not outside -- the A/C in various areas may blow cold on you.

If you have questions about your ship or other line specific Qs, here is the Royal Caribbean forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

ETA: have a blast!

Edited by crystalspin

Note leaveitallbehind's comment about buying the drinks package on- board.

On RCI you can start a drinks package at any time on the cruise, at the same daily rate, as long as its at least 3 days before the end of the cruise. So you can check your average spend on drinks before deciding whether the package will work out at better value.

Dining rooms can be a little too chilly for some, so take crystal's advice and pack a pasmina. And something light but rainproof, the weather is warm year-round but there can be frequent short showers - quite refreshing.

JB :)

Note leaveitallbehind's comment about buying the drinks package on- board.

On RCI you can start a drinks package at any time on the cruise, at the same daily rate, as long as its at least 3 days before the end of the cruise. So you can check your average spend on drinks before deciding whether the package will work out at better value.

Dining rooms can be a little too chilly for some, so take crystal's advice and pack a pasmina. And something light but rainproof, the weather is warm year-round but there can be frequent short showers - quite refreshing.

JB :)

Sorry - I mistakenly indicated four. But the last day is included as one of them.

Thanks--this is so helpful! I guess I need to read up on MTD but it sounds like something we'd pick anyway. And I'm feeling better about clothing choices I packed :-)

The text thing is a must, unfortunately. Even if it doesn't get used we need to offer availability.

Off to stick some ziploc bags into the luggage!

I would contact the cruise line to discuss your dining selection. MTD uses one of the main dining rooms and If MTD is already at capacity they may pre-assign a dining time for you which may not be your first choice. Dining selections are typically made at the time of booking.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The tips here were wonderful! I had a great time and am a convert--already looking to book another one, with my husband this time.

This was Brilliance of the Seas, Tampa-Key West-Cozumel-Tampa. I really liked this size ship, and the crew were great. I did overpack but I think I would have a better idea of what I needed next time.

Thanks again--it was great :-)