Hair Braiding

Lady Lucy

We are leaving on the Escape tomorrow. Does anyone know a good place to have an 11 year old's hair braided in either St Thomas or Tortola? Both price and convenience are important. We're also stopping in Nassau, but we already have so much scheduled there that I don't think we'll have time at that stop.

Thank you so much!

i know this wont help you but in nassau its like bumping into air how many want to do braids. the 'certified ones' are near the pier, if you chat up anyone in the straw market they 'all' want to do it. so be warned.

3 bucks each is what they charged my friend and 2 of them had to be redone. i do wonder how much they get to keep vs the 'boss lady' that runs the show

We are leaving on the Escape tomorrow. Does anyone know a good place to have an 11 year old's hair braided in either St Thomas or Tortola? Both price and convenience are important. We're also stopping in Nassau, but we already have so much scheduled there that I don't think we'll have time at that stop.

Thank you so much!

I encourage you to take your... OWN ...brush and comb!

What type of braids?

There are many types of braids for example french braids, cornrows, and individual/box braids. In Nassau and Freeport there were braid stands near the pier that charge up to $120.00 for what are called "Individuals" or "Box Braids" these braids normally take 6-8 hours when one person is braiding in the U.S., yet the braid stands mentioned take less time as they normally have more than one person working on one head at the same time. If you want one simple french braid it will only take a few minutes and will be about $15-20 dollars.

Since the braiders are not in a salon my concern would be about the brush/combs/clips etc used since they are used by so many ppl.

You can also find random braiders all around town asking if you would like your hair braided.

Thank you so much!

Hmmm...How do I 'splain this to you in a diplomatic manner?

There is a particular ethnic culture that does braids and St Thomas or Totola is not known for that culture.

Also, I've seen white people's hair completely break off from braiding. Faith Hill is an example of that...

The "braided" look wasn't for Faith, either. "Once when my hair was about shoulder length, four of my girlfriends and I went on this trip to the French West Indies," she recalls. "It was a 'chick vacation.' A couple of us had our hair braided by an island girl. My hair is so thin and my braids were so tiny that when I went to take them out, my hair was completely fried-ruined. In a lot of places my hair broke off. So I went to Earl and he had to chop my hair off. It was the shortest I've ever had it.

My 9 year old daughter got all of her hair braided into many braids with beads in Nassau. It took about an hour and I think we (she paid for half from her allowance) paid about $90. She kept it about 3 weeks afterwards. We read up on the internet and bought coconut oil, mixed a little with water in a spray bottle and misted her head each day to keep it moist and conditioned. No washing. I will say that my daughter was a little disappointed at how frizzy or loose her hair was. So the braids were tight but there was no way you couldn't have loose hairs with her type of soft, straight, blonde hair. Still, she had fun, and while we thought too we might just have to chop most of it off afterward, it actually came out really nice afterward. It was a lot of fun undoing all the braids, NOT. : )

Edited by LakeWobegon