IC Tahiti or Manava : Help/advice/Opinion

barbeaujo

Hello everyone,

i have been working at planning our summer 2017 family vacation for a few weeks now. ( i am a micro management person ) It is getting verry good but now.. i really need your help / opinions .

Here is a little recap story ( sorry long one, i just finisehd it and boy, do i talk a lot:D ) about ourself so that you can get a feel of what we wouldbest suit us :

Family of 4 ( 2 kids well travelled , ages 12&15 ) travelling from Montreal Canada. We will fly into California 10 days prior and visit the area before ending in Los Angeles to take our flight into PPT on July 4th at 11h pm.

We will then be a little more then 3 weeks in FP. Upon arrival we will take the ferry to Moorea and spend 7 nights at the Legend Resort ( condo like, up the hill, very cost effective with the full kitchen ) and then spend 2 nights in an premium OWB at Manava beach resort & spa ( formely called Pearl ) , to let the kid " live " the overwater experience. What i like about this resort in Moorea is that the OWB is much bigger then the one in Tahiti at the IC we had just hubby and I, 5 years ago.

We will then ferry back to Tahiti and spend the night prior to the cruise at the IC, in a regular OWB. ( Dont want to risk something happening to the ferries the same day as the cruise, so yes it will involve us moving to another hotel but, we are on vacation for 6 weeks total, so it doesnt really bother us. ) PS: We also rented a car from PPT till the day the ship leaves and will ferry it to Moorea. Easier that way for us.

July 15th, we leave for the 11 night PG cruise. We took a category A ( same stateroom we took 5 years ago husband and myself alone ). We loved that room so much.

Here comes my indecision .... Post cruise, best airline tickets price would be to leave 2 days later. ( yes i do try to make the best worth of my money . The reason we can go to places like these and make incredible vacations is to always look for the best deals everywhere , everytime and be flexible) Altough i like nice things, luxury, etc , i also am the kind that will bring bagel and a jar of Nutella for breakfast on vacation, and might even bring a can of canned chicken and make sandwiches but dont tell my husband :eek: ..Beeing realy honest here, lol, please dont judge me ... For me the important thing is not the food. Location, security and ammenities are. Those are what makes amazing vacation memories for our kids.

Lets get back on track .. So, Going back to Moorea post cruise is not an option since our flight would leave at 7h am that friday. We leave the ship wednesday morning.( dont remember the time we have to get off but pretty sure it is early )

Not sure i want to go back to the IC in tahiti, since there is no beach, ocean access other then from the OWB i think.... ( correct me if i am wrong )

Not sure i want to try to Manava in tahiti, since i dont know it at all , and would not want to end this amazing vacaiton with a sour note ... If it is not up to the same level of " wow " we have had since the beginning. ( AT least hope they will be Wow moments.. )

Anyone ever stayed at the Manava Tahiti ? The room we could have would be a " suite deluxe lagoon view ".

Difference in price is about $300 between either a panoramic room at the IC ( could be upgraded to a regular OWB but not sure i would want it since they are so small. We are doing it the night pre-cruise with a late check out because of the Ambassador program, but i assume 1 night 4 people, is manageable .. if someone sleeps outside ;-) ( joking.. but the room we did have 5 years ago was so so small, i assume it would be the same, no clue where they put the 2 roll away bed ) ) and the suite at Manava . IC being the more expensive... But no beach.

Any other hotels / accomodation suggested for Tahiti directly ?

Sorry for the long post, i really wrote the same way i would have spoken with a friend ... Yes, my friends are verry patient people :cool:

Thank you everyone,

Bonne journee !

Josee

Sounds like a spectacular trip. For clarity are you getting one or two rooms on the cruise?? I thought they had a max of 3 people per stateroom.

One room. Category A . The sofa makes a small twin sleeper when opened, and they will add a fold away bed every night.

For cruising in 2017, they make you sign a wayver stating that you understand that bedding will be a fold way and a small pullout couch... Guess people were not satifisfied with arrangement in the past and were expecting 2 " real " bed..

To clarify .. only applicable in certain suite. I could not have a quadruple occ in a regular room.

Edited by barbeaujo

Our adult daughter has slept in both kinds of "beds": sofa and roll away. Both were comfortable. She is 5 feet eight inches. She actually liked the sofa bed more. It was a bit more narrower but comfortable. Using these types of beds are not a deal stopper.

You will be in a larger cabin so that will help[. The stewards willl put up the beds for the day if you request.

I can't speak to your questions about which hotel to stay in after your cruise.

Our adult daughter has slept in both kinds of "beds": sofa and roll away. Both were comfortable. She is 5 feet eight inches. She actually liked the sofa bed more. It was a bit more narrower but comfortable. Using these types of beds are not a deal stopper.

You will be in a larger cabin so that will help[. The stewards willl put up the beds for the day if you request.

I can't speak to your questions about which hotel to stay in after your cruise.

Wow really ! Thank you so much for the info. I had no expectation for the "sofa" but our son is 5' tall, 70 lbs.. so i figured anything would suit him :-)

Glad to know that both will be fine.

We get on the ship when you get off :).

I know you did not ask but some of us (me) are very opinionated. IMHO I would consider 2 category E cabins vs. your one category A. Your cost per person (for 2 people) in Category A is almost exactly twice the price as two category E cabins. Also, in Category A, as you know, your fare includes the adult airfares but not the kids. You can take the $1,550 per person refund and arrange your own air but again that is the discount for not taking the air and transfers per adult. You would still need to purchase the kids air fares.

If you take 2 cabins then the air for the kids is included. That means that 2 cabins will come out to be less expensive than 1 although it is a category E cabin. This presumes that PG will allow the kids to stay by themselves.

Just a thought.

I know you did not ask but some of us (me) are very opinionated. IMHO I would consider 2 category E cabins vs. your one category A. Your cost per person (for 2 people) in Category A is almost exactly twice the price as two category E cabins. Also, in Category A, as you know, your fare includes the adult airfares but not the kids. You can take the $1,550 per person refund and arrange your own air but again that is the discount for not taking the air and transfers per adult. You would still need to purchase the kids air fares.

If you take 2 cabins then the air for the kids is included. That means that 2 cabins will come out to be less expensive than 1 although it is a category E cabin. This presumes that PG will allow the kids to stay by themselves.

Just a thought.

Thank you very much for the taught. I will take all the information i can ! I love " opinionated " people :cool:

Pg credited me $1850 per adult for airfare & $1550 per child. Making it a credit of $6800 USD , and i took my flight with AF/Delta with costed a lot less then that and was able to get a fare in Canadian funds, which is good for us since our dollar is so bad compare to USD . I was happy :-) Also, air with PG costed me an additional $100 p.p. for flight deviation, since we are extending. But doing it on our own this morning, i saved that $400 also on top.

We definitely want a balcony.. and a butler is a plus. Loved our butler the last time. So a cat E would not be an option. We are the boring type family that goes to bed at 8h pm, 9h pm IF we feel wild... , doesn't go to any shows, eat fast, and enjoy a lot of time in the afternoon on our balcony as in the morning when i wake up and everyone else is still asleep ( yep, husband and kids can sleep for 12 hours straight ! ) . Some say we might not be the " social " kind , lol. But we are loveable ;-)

We had a very good deal ( i think ) for the cruise with the canadian resident rate special a few months ago. I think it was 25% off ( dont quote me but pretty sure ) plus we had the 10% for repeater guest discount.

PS: Thank you so much for your input. I fell privilege as i have been watching CC and this particular board for a while, and, Flight medic , wendy , and another person whom the name doesn't come to my mind right now seems to be the " bible" of french polynesia... I am almost star struck talking to you :-)

.. Forgot to answer this.

Really !! So cool. We are almost related then ..:cool: Have a great cruise, and dont by shy to ask me any questions .. ( joking of course, as i probably know 5% of what you know about this area of the world ... ) LOL

Hey Josée, glad you're putting this together, and glad you got a hefty discount.

In my opinion, you do not need to come back to Tahiti the day before. The ferries are reliable, or at least if they can't sail them the ship probably won't be able to anyways. Why not just rent the car when you arrive in Moorea? Save money and hassle. Of course, this is your karma--we checked out of our place on Moorea, drove our rental car back to the office, were shuttled to the port, got on the ferry and were walking to the ship about 3 p.m., which is when they start boarding. Very easy. I guess if you do ferry the car back and forth, you might feel a bit nervous about doing it on the same day. Most people seem to love the IC Tahiti.

I'm trying to figure out what the Manava Tahiti used to be. I think it was the Sofitel, can anyone confirm that? If so, I was only there once, years ago, so it doesn't count, because Tahiti years are like dog years, and hotels get old very fast. I know that Manava seems to be buying up places and hopefully renovating them, but have no info on that. Sounds like they have kitchenettes in some rooms, which would suit you I'm sure.

Hello everyone,

i have been working at planning our summer 2017 family vacation for a few weeks now. ( i am a micro management person ) It is getting verry good but now.. i really need your help / opinions .

Here is a little recap story ( sorry long one, i just finisehd it and boy, do i talk a lot:D ) about ourself so that you can get a feel of what we wouldbest suit us :

Family of 4 ( 2 kids well travelled , ages 12&15 ) travelling from Montreal Canada. We will fly into California 10 days prior and visit the area before ending in Los Angeles to take our flight into PPT on July 4th at 11h pm.

We will then be a little more then 3 weeks in FP. Upon arrival we will take the ferry to Moorea and spend 7 nights at the Legend Resort ( condo like, up the hill, very cost effective with the full kitchen ) and then spend 2 nights in an premium OWB at Manava beach resort & spa ( formely called Pearl ) , to let the kid " live " the overwater experience. What i like about this resort in Moorea is that the OWB is much bigger then the one in Tahiti at the IC we had just hubby and I, 5 years ago.

We will then ferry back to Tahiti and spend the night prior to the cruise at the IC, in a regular OWB. ( Dont want to risk something happening to the ferries the same day as the cruise, so yes it will involve us moving to another hotel but, we are on vacation for 6 weeks total, so it doesnt really bother us. ) PS: We also rented a car from PPT till the day the ship leaves and will ferry it to Moorea. Easier that way for us.

July 15th, we leave for the 11 night PG cruise. We took a category A ( same stateroom we took 5 years ago husband and myself alone ). We loved that room so much.

Here comes my indecision .... Post cruise, best airline tickets price would be to leave 2 days later. ( yes i do try to make the best worth of my money . The reason we can go to places like these and make incredible vacations is to always look for the best deals everywhere , everytime and be flexible) Altough i like nice things, luxury, etc , i also am the kind that will bring bagel and a jar of Nutella for breakfast on vacation, and might even bring a can of canned chicken and make sandwiches but dont tell my husband :eek: ..Beeing realy honest here, lol, please dont judge me ... For me the important thing is not the food. Location, security and ammenities are. Those are what makes amazing vacation memories for our kids.

Lets get back on track .. So, Going back to Moorea post cruise is not an option since our flight would leave at 7h am that friday. We leave the ship wednesday morning.( dont remember the time we have to get off but pretty sure it is early )

Not sure i want to go back to the IC in tahiti, since there is no beach, ocean access other then from the OWB i think.... ( correct me if i am wrong )

Not sure i want to try to Manava in tahiti, since i dont know it at all , and would not want to end this amazing vacaiton with a sour note ... If it is not up to the same level of " wow " we have had since the beginning. ( AT least hope they will be Wow moments.. )

Anyone ever stayed at the Manava Tahiti ? The room we could have would be a " suite deluxe lagoon view ".

Difference in price is about $300 between either a panoramic room at the IC ( could be upgraded to a regular OWB but not sure i would want it since they are so small. We are doing it the night pre-cruise with a late check out because of the Ambassador program, but i assume 1 night 4 people, is manageable .. if someone sleeps outside ;-) ( joking.. but the room we did have 5 years ago was so so small, i assume it would be the same, no clue where they put the 2 roll away bed ) ) and the suite at Manava . IC being the more expensive... But no beach.

Any other hotels / accomodation suggested for Tahiti directly ?

Sorry for the long post, i really wrote the same way i would have spoken with a friend ... Yes, my friends are verry patient people :cool:

Thank you everyone,

Bonne journee !

Josee

Sounds like you have your act together and it all sounds wonderful - BUT here is my take on a couple of things as I like to keep it real.

You say you like to make the best "worth" of your money yet you are staying in a category A stateroom which is $4000 PER PERSON for than a category D balcony room or $5600 more PER PERSON more than a E Window room. That's how I get two 11 day cruises for your one. My opinion is that this is insane but if you have the money, what the hell. I didn't now if you can 4 in an "A" room but if you can and the kids are free or a reduced rate ignore me! Then again you can get two window rooms.... Your kids would appreciate it! You chose the Manava on Moorea yet every review of Moorea and 99% of cruise critic and tripadvisor reviews will tell you the Hilton or Sofitel have by far the nicest water for an OWB experience. (I agree with these reviews) I know people who stayed there when it was a Pearl and did like it. The water is simply not as nice as the two I mentioned.

Manava on Tahiti is far away but seems to be nice. It can be seen from the far end of the IC. Speaking of the IC - PLEASE don't waste your money on a OWB there. The water just isn't the greatest and you would be wasting your money. If you have the ambassador status there is always a chance for an upgrade. I got the King suite once.

Go for the new motu bungalows. I have heard they are great. Most people I know that stay here usually go for the panoramic view rooms however.

You will have a great time no matter what you do. I just felt voicing my opinion. As most people know on this board I am prone to do this.

Does Legend resort on Moorea include some sort of transportation to get to and from the water?

Have a great trip!

Edited by twin123185

Twin, the A has the incredible wrap around balconies that some people love.

I love the B but this time spending on AF business for the night flight and BB Thalasso. So it's a question how to use your assets to best please oneself.

I agree about the Tahiti OWB. We were upgraded last time and while they are very nice I wouldn't pay for them.

I had heard that the Pearl water was not good. One has to remember that sometimes places such as these don't have septic systems so effluents end up in the ocean. This is why the Muri Lagoon has a bad name. We were in Ibiza recently and one could actually smell the raw sewage by the waterfront. All above comments are hearsay except for Ibiza but I wouldn't chance it.

I love the B but this time spending on AF business for the night flight and BB Thalasso. So it's a question how to use your assets to best please oneself.

I agree about the Tahiti OWB. We were upgraded last time and while they are very nice I wouldn't pay for them.

I had heard that the Pearl water was not good. One has to remember that sometimes places such as these don't have septic systems so effluents end up in the ocean. This is why the Muri Lagoon has a bad name. We were in Ibiza recently and one could actually smell the raw sewage by the waterfront. All above comments are hearsay except for Ibiza but I wouldn't chance it.

I hear you Emdee but as the OP has titled this thread - I was offering MY opinion. A wrap around balcony to me is not worth thousands of $$$!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey Josée, glad you're putting this together, and glad you got a hefty discount.

In my opinion, you do not need to come back to Tahiti the day before. The ferries are reliable, or at least if they can't sail them the ship probably won't be able to anyways. Why not just rent the car when you arrive in Moorea? Save money and hassle. Of course, this is your karma--we checked out of our place on Moorea, drove our rental car back to the office, were shuttled to the port, got on the ferry and were walking to the ship about 3 p.m., which is when they start boarding. Very easy. I guess if you do ferry the car back and forth, you might feel a bit nervous about doing it on the same day. Most people seem to love the IC Tahiti.

I'm trying to figure out what the Manava Tahiti used to be. I think it was the Sofitel, can anyone confirm that? If so, I was only there once, years ago, so it doesn't count, because Tahiti years are like dog years, and hotels get old very fast. I know that Manava seems to be buying up places and hopefully renovating them, but have no info on that. Sounds like they have kitchenettes in some rooms, which would suit you I'm sure.

Hello Wendy , so glad to "speak" with you. I should have wrote this thread before making the IC non refundable reservaiton for the day prior to the cruise.. I really didnt know if they were reliable ( ferries ). Will know for next time :-)

I think i got confused about the Manava in Tahiti... The one in Moorea used to be Moorea Pearl resort and spa. The one in Tahiti i really dont know if it always was called the Manava.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I will try and see if the IC can maybe postpone my pre cruise reservation to another date and we could stay on Moorea 1 more night.

Have a great day,

Josee.

Edited by barbeaujo

See below in red :

You say you like to make the best "worth" of your money yet you are staying in a category A stateroom which is $4000 PER PERSON for than a category D balcony room or $5600 more PER PERSON more than a E Window room. That's how I get two 11 day cruises for your one. My opinion is that this is insane but if you have the money, what the hell. I didn't now if you can 4 in an "A" room but if you can and the kids are free or a reduced rate ignore me!

Yes kids are " free " They will have a Steward of Nature program that sailing, so if we want them to participate with other kids, in that program, it cost about $399 for the entire cruise:D

You chose the Manava on Moorea yet every review of Moorea and 99% of cruise critic and tripadvisor reviews will tell you the Hilton or Sofitel have by far the nicest water for an OWB experience. (I agree with these reviews) I know people who stayed there when it was a Pearl and did like it. The water is simply not as nice as the two I mentioned.

I will look at the sofitel. The hilton could only accomodate us in a garden bungallow for a family of 4, and for $850 a night, was not worth it IMO.

Manava on Tahiti is far away but seems to be nice. It can be seen from the far end of the IC. Speaking of the IC - PLEASE don't waste your money on a OWB there. The water just isn't the greatest and you would be wasting your money. If you have the ambassador status there is always a chance for an upgrade. I got the King suite once.

I already got a confirmed upgrade to an OWB there. Should i tell them to keep me in a Panoramic room and decline the upgrade ? The OWB we would get would be at the Lotus end of the resort they told me .

Go for the new motu bungalows. I have heard they are great. Most people I know that stay here usually go for the panoramic view rooms however.

You will have a great time no matter what you do. I just felt voicing my opinion. As most people know on this board I am prone to do this.

This is what this board is for. Thank you for your input.

Does Legend resort on Moorea include some sort of transportation to get to and from the water?

We will have a car or it is a 10 minutes walk from our unit. They used to have a shuttle but dont anymore. They do work with a company that will get you to a motu for a few dollars and runs 6 times per day.

Have a great trip!

Thank you !! So excited to make our kids live this experience.

EmDee... would YOU decline the upgrade to the OWB at the IC and stay with the panoramic room ?.. would appreciate your opinion as i was thinking of calling back and having them put me back in a Panoramic room ...

Will definitly remove the pearl from our plan if water are like that ! So gross :eek:

Edited by barbeaujo

FYI .. just looked into cancelling the Manava in Moorea ( didnt know about yucky waters , not proud of myself here .. ) and i took a non refundable rate , along with points i had on hotels.com

The good news is ... it doesnt cost us much because of the dollar value we had accumulated on hotels.com but the bad news is .. We will have to enjoy the view and i guess use their pool for our 2 night stay :-(

As i always say, when you leave with low expectation, you can only come back with positive taughts ! Will practice that here then :cool:

FYI .. just looked into cancelling the Manava in Moorea ( didnt know about yucky waters , not proud of myself here .. ) and i took a non refundable rate , along with points i had on hotels.com

The good news is ... it doesnt cost us much because of the dollar value we had accumulated on hotels.com but the bad news is .. We will have to enjoy the view and i guess use their pool for our 2 night stay :-(

As i always say, when you leave with low expectation, you can only come back with positive taughts ! Will practice that here then :cool:

And you never know, the water might not be bad! And you'll probably end up doing offshore excursions anyways, to motus where there is better snorkeling. I've often thought about trying the Pearl in the past, so am interested in how you do at the Manava Moorea.

Great. I didn't mean to criticize anything and thanks for understanding I am just giving you my opinion based on 8 trips to French Polynesia.

Kids both free on the PG is great.

The Manava suites on Tahiti has always been that. It's the newest hotel there.

The IC on Tahiti I love. I have stayed there many times in all the different rooms. If they upgrade you to the "King Suite" that's good but the water there just isn't what people dream of when thinking about Tahiti. The King suite could probably accommodate 4. The other rooms it will be a stretch.

I personally like the panorama rooms on the top floor but as I said earlier the new motu bungalows are getting great reviews.

I have personally been to the Pearl on MOOREA so when I tell you the water is not nearly as nice so please believe me. The Sofitel is expensive but is my favorite spot. Many here will tell you the Hilton is awesome also.

Glad you have a car in MOOREA. There is a lot to see an do that you can do on your own.

Have a great day

Edited by twin123185

And you never know, the water might not be bad! And you'll probably end up doing offshore excursions anyways, to motus where there is better snorkeling. I've often thought about trying the Pearl in the past, so am interested in how you do at the Manava Moorea.

I will glady give you a review after that hotel stay. I will also take a lot of pictures. Thanks again for your input Wendy.

Josee

If the lotus are at the end that is where we were in IC Tahiti. Stay with it if it's an upgrade. We were upgraded there and enjoyed it. It's right by the laundry and the ice machine. Also at night scores of the ugliest fish would be attracted to the light and hang on a rope under the deck. Quite a sight.

We usually pay for the panoramic room.

I don't know for sure about the water at the Moorea pearl. It is hearsay only not my opinion.

However I can say I love the Sofitel. Great beach. Have stayed in the beach bungalow as well as the overwater there. They also have a MAP program that we found decent. That way we only needed to manage our lunches. Of course if you have a car it's a different story. I know the Pearl is well located for dining.

Thank you everyone for your input . With all your help, i was able to take a decision and made the reservation post cruise at the IC Tahiti.

Wendy, i tried to cancel the pre-cruise 1 night stay at the IC and stay 1 more night on Moorea but my fare my non refundable. But, i am glad to know for next time that ferries are reliable.

Emdee, yes it should be the OWB in that area. Can't wait to see those fish .. or maybe not ! lol

As for Moorea, my reservation at Manava beach resort & spa there was also not refundable so i will make the best of it for those 2 days. The Legend resort in Moorea ( the 7 night stay ) will suit us to decompress and relax before the cruise. We will take that time to relax, enjoy the view, play board game and of course visit the island but , nothing intense like it will be on the ship.

have a great day everyone ,

Josee.

Edited by barbeaujo

Josee, if you're at the Manava for a week, there's a fun place to eat lunch out on the road not far away. It's near some pearl stores, etc. I'll see if I can find the name...Snack Chez Didier. It's just an outdoor diner, with the usual collection of dining items you come to expect outside of the big hotels on Moorea. Good fun, especially with kids, inexpensive and a nice change from a resort hotel. Here's a photo from 2014:

P1020914-M.jpg

I can't remember its exact location,but it's in the built-up area probably a bit to the right of Manava--there's a bank or two and ATMs, and a group of souvenir stores, including at least pearl shop. It would be easy to spot.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Not far from the Legends resort is an awesome lunch spot called Snack Mahana. Do yourselves a favor and go there. Make a reservation if you go between noon and two though as it's extremely popular. On your way back stop at the vanilla farm!

At the Legend Resort Moorea for a week but Manava Moorea for 2 nights . Since we have a car , we might even try it before our Manava stay . Thank you so much Wendy !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How did you book the Legends resort? From what I understand it's no longer a "resort" but rents out villas through Airbnb and VRBO.