Adult only entertainment on DCL

OarToOar

I see references on the navigators, and in various trip reports to "Adults only" entertainment on some nights.

i wondering what counts as Adults only to disney, is this the normal style of entertainment but with no children allowed or is the humour and style more mature with swearing etc?

Mostly the former, with a touch of the latter. As one of the entertainers explained it, "this is Disney adult, folks." The entertainment is designed to appeal more to adults than children, not including profanity.

Lesa

During the adult only entertainment there will be a little more sexual innuendo, etc. No, profanity is not permitted and it is not openly offensive. I'm probably a bit of a prude, and I've only once seen an adult only show on DCL that I considered obnoxious. Interestingly,one family show had an inappropriate act during the first show. That performer had been warned between performances and the CD was ready for him--at the first inappropriate remarks, she bounded onto the stage and announced another act. Obviously he's never appeared on DCL since.

Probably the most risque is the Match Your Mate game--you never know what will come out of the guests' mouths.

Edited by moki'smommy

I was going to say the Meet Your Match game. The host has some innuendoes, but the guests will say anything. I am by no means a prude, but some one the things they admit are very personal.

I have also been to the illusionist/magicians. The family show was much different than the adult. There was no swearing, but lots of metaphors.

I remember there was a video with a quote from Ellen, something about her "coming out". That quote was removed from the family show video.

The most risqué thing I saw on DCL wad the "if I were at sea" or whatever it was called. Saw it once on Wonder EBPC, it was HILARIOUS and now banned from DCL as I understand.

"If I Were Not Upon the Sea" Totally loved it. Always made arrangements to see it. I understand that DCL no longer does it. It wasn't DCL-specific, however. It's done on other cruiselines (not sure who had it first).

I don't know if it was "banned" as it lasted for MANY years. However, we were on one cruise where the CD openly refused to wear the pink tutu and said he would cancel it. The funny thing was that a year or so later, I saw him in exactly that costume.

Things come and go on DCL....and it now seems that this is gone.

Just another warning...the sidewalks roll up early if you aren't doing the game shows. Those things are not my style but the bar areas were empty and boring.... and this was on a cruise during the school year where you would think there might be more adults without kids.

Is it actually banned? I saw it for the first time on a 9 night Alaska cruise 2014. I had heard it was only on longer cruises, but maybe since then they have stopped it completely?

I VERY much doubt it was banned as well.

It was first introduced on the Magic in 2003 by Jim Urry the Entertainments VP, and ran for over a decade. There is a YouTube video from a year ago here for anyone who never saw it:

Personally, I just think it had run it's course and was switched out for something else as so many people had already seen it.

They could have changed the characters to freshen it up, but that would have involved someone taking the effort to re-write the script.

ex techie

As much as I love DCL, I have been disappointed with the low attendance in the adults only night life areas. I wish they would recreate the Adventurers Club on the ships! I think people would line up and pack the place just like they did when it was part of Pleasure Island. As it is, I often find myself going to bed early on DCL.

As much as I love DCL, I have been disappointed with the low attendance in the adults only night life areas. I wish they would recreate the Adventurers Club on the ships! I think people would line up and pack the place just like they did when it was part of Pleasure Island. As it is, I often find myself going to bed early on DCL.

That has a lot to do with the entertainment. We've been on DCL cruises when it was standing room only (and people be turned away) for some of the entertainment in the clubs. Yes, most of the time, the attendance is fairly low, but that's nice, also.

Like Shmoo, I've seen times when people were turned away and other times when they expected a big crowd for the entertainment so it was moved to the WD theatre. It depends totally on the entertainment. It does tend to thin out as the evening progresses...perhaps because people feel that they need to get their children into bed (even though the Club and Lab are open till midnight and kids can sleep there).

On one of my cruises, it was on the Magic, they had an adult only scavenger hunt, which was the best ever. If you were not in a group of at least 4, you had to make friends, which was great.

The hunt had things like, person with a tattoo, a person with a hole in their sock, girl takes off bra under shirt (yes, on Disney), etc. It was a blast and a hoot. Just this side of being inappropriate.

I wish they would bring this game back, it truly was a great time!

On one of my cruises, it was on the Magic, they had an adult only scavenger hunt, which was the best ever. If you were not in a group of at least 4, you had to make friends, which was great.

The hunt had things like, person with a tattoo, a person with a hole in their sock, girl takes off bra under shirt (yes, on Disney), etc. It was a blast and a hoot. Just this side of being inappropriate.

I wish they would bring this game back, it truly was a great time!

That was Magic Quest. For a long time there was a family version and an adult version. Yes, the adult version could be a bit...close to the edge. Some of the funniest things happened when the search was for a $5 bill! NO ONE has money on the ship! And some of the items requested could have multiple meanings...people got really creative.

The Scavenger Hunt sounds like great fun!. We really enjoyed a live group called, The Get Ups, on the Dream (Sept 2013). My sister is a big live music fan, so I'm hoping for some on the Fantasy this Sept. I can't get her to go to the Disney shows.

I VERY much doubt it was banned as well.

It was first introduced on the Magic in 2003 by Jim Urry the Entertainments VP, and ran for over a decade. There is a YouTube video from a year ago here for anyone who never saw it:

Personally, I just think it had run it's course and was switched out for something else as so many people had already seen it.

They could have changed the characters to freshen it up, but that would have involved someone taking the effort to re-write the script.

ex techie

Thanks for the video.

I must have seen this show hundreds (ok , so that's an exaggeration) of times on many different cruise lines but I always love it and always laugh as each group has their own take on it.

Haven't seen it in a couple of years so maybe everyone is tired of doing it. :(

I think the crew might be more tired of it than the passengers, though.

I think the crew might be more tired of it than the passengers, though.

I have often wondered, how the crew keeps up their enthusiasm for things. I was pondering this again on our last cruise while watching the sail away party. I'm just amazed how they make it seem like it's their first time doing it, even though they have done it hundreds of times. Rather amazing.

That has a lot to do with the entertainment. We've been on DCL cruises when it was standing room only (and people be turned away) for some of the entertainment in the clubs. Yes, most of the time, the attendance is fairly low, but that's nice, also.

Limited experience here, only one Fantasy 7-night cruise. We tried two different entertainer night shows in The Tube and they were packed. If you didn't get there for the activity before the entertainer, you were standing in the back without a view of the stage.

We came in at the end of the pre-entertainer activity and thought that they were much more raunchy than we expected on a Disney cruise. Not that we were offended, we just didn't expect it. When the game has audience members fill out answers to questions like "What is your favorite body part on a female?", you can expect some off color answers.

The host read many of those answers, but not ALL of them. ;)

I have often wondered, how the crew keeps up their enthusiasm for things. I was pondering this again on our last cruise while watching the sail away party. I'm just amazed how they make it seem like it's their first time doing it, even though they have done it hundreds of times. Rather amazing.

Lots of coffee and energy drinks! That and an enthusiasm for job!

Cruise Staff are typically only onboard for 4-4.5 months at a time per contract, and the main stage cast for 6 months per contract.

So a Dream Cruise Staff CM will do around 36 of each show per contract and a Fantasy CM 18 shows.

But it does take a lot of effort for them to keep up the energy towards the end of their stint onboard!

ex techie

Lots of coffee and energy drinks! That and an enthusiasm for job!

Cruise Staff are typically only onboard for 4-4.5 months at a time per contract, and the main stage cast for 6 months per contract.

So a Dream Cruise Staff CM will do around 36 of each show per contract and a Fantasy CM 18 shows.

But it does take a lot of effort for them to keep up the energy towards the end of their stint onboard!

ex techie

Thanks! When I think about it, I guess it's like any type of entertainment "show" that is performed repeatedly. As entertainers they get a lot of their excitement from the audience, still amazes me though, because I know I couldn't do it. :)