Regatta or Pacific Princess?

marypa

However, I DID figure at least one person would question it. We're a very active and knowledgeable bunch on here, after all - but no, we don't beat people up!

Wanna bet :D

check the other thread here

On Regatta approaching the MDR on the starboard side the first section is fixed seating dining, once through that section the MDR then expands out to the full width of the ship across the stern and that larger area of the MDR is all anytime dining .

That sounds more like Princess, where they had all fixed seating until recently. I think the poster is trying to describe something new on the small Princess ships, and accidentally referred to Regatta.

If not, I don't know what the heck they're referring to, but it ain't Oceania Regatta.

Edited by hondorner

Oceania is premium, Princess is a great mass market line, there is a huge difference in food and service with Oceania. Oceania has excellent food and service.

In Alaska the itinerary is very important. I am a big Oceania fan but we are going to Alaska on Coral Princess for Glacier Bay and their Alaskan infrastructure. We think the Coral and Island Princess are the best ships in the fleet.

Oceania is premium, Princess is a great mass market line, there is a huge difference in food and service with Oceania. Oceania has excellent food and service.

In Alaska the itinerary is very important. I am a big Oceania fan but we are going to Alaska on Coral Princess for Glacier Bay and their Alaskan infrastructure. We think the Coral and Island Princess are the best ships in the fleet.

Our last Princess Cruise was on the Coral to Alaska in her maiden season for precisely the reasons you give, and the shipboard experience was not unpleasant, and the trains that they charter are crowded but passable.

I must caution you, however, that their hotels were a disgrace even then. Sure, the lodges are pretty for the brochures, but the bedrooms were.......I'd never really seen unintentionally grey bed linens before. We were travelling with a group of College friends and afterward everyone commented how awful the land accommodations were compared to what we had on the ship which was pristine by comparison.

Do go and see the majesty of Alaska, but either get in and out quickly or make your own hotel arrangements where possible. ;)

Edited by StanandJim

Hunblest apologies can I be spared the flogging with the CC cat of nine tails ?

I was wrong and confused (and possibly concussed !) the arrangement was on Holland America PRINSENDAM . Again apologies.

OCEANIA is our favourite cruise line, superb service, sure slightly more expensive but overall better value than paying a lesser price with Princess and HAL and then having to pay extra on board for anything outside the ordinary .

Small to medium sized vessels superbly maintained .

We are Platinum on Princess and so get a few perks. We are looking at the Panama Canal in January 2016 and just cannot decide which would be best for us.

They are the same ships, going in different directions full transit. Princess makes less stops

Personally, I liked doing the Panama Canal in a Panamax ship (a ship that is about 91k tons should basically be Panamax). The memories regarding how we fit into the locks like an exactly fitted puzzle piece is worth it.