Dunn's River on our own?

chapp68

Our ship will be in port at Ocho Rios. We are planning on going to Dunn's River Falls. Is this something we can do on our own without booking an excursion? Anyone have any suggestions for taxi? How much? Is it a good idea to do this on our own? Anyone done this?

• 1 year later...
Our ship will be in port at Ocho Rios. We are planning on going to Dunn's River Falls. Is this something we can do on our own without booking an excursion? Anyone have any suggestions for taxi? How much? Is it a good idea to do this on our own? Anyone done this?

We would like to know this too?

We have done this several times. Hate ship excursions. The first time we went we were rushed around the beautiful gardens and falls so as to give us shopping time at some hideous 'mall' full of jewellery shops, so we vowed never to do that again. The driver will usually quote you a price, and will drop you at the falls and come back for you at a certain time. They don't usually require payment until they have dropped you back at the ship.

The gardens are stunning and the walk along the falls is wonderful. If you do your own trip you will have time to walk down to the beach, too. It's not far from the port so no worries about missing the ship. A morning or an afternoon would be plenty of time to see everything.

I would suggest getting straight off the ship as early as possible so that you miss the hoardes doing a cruise tour.

Hope you have a great trip.

IMO the ship excursion to the Falls is never worth the price because admission to the Falls is actually for the DAY. Typical excursions do a one time hold hands with you neighbor climb up the path and then push you out the door.

I go on my own and stay several hours climbing several times (til we get tired) ... you do NOT have to hold hands, stay with a guide or stay on the path. Are you adventurous?? Go up the middle ... climb DOWN ... do what you want, you paid for ALL DAY. DRF is a national park, there are gardens, beaches, refreshments and the dreaded market place.

enhance

enhance

enhance

{folks in back are in the 'tour conga line', we're just chillin}

Even tho the taxi is stupid expensive for the distance (I think it was $10 per person, ROUND TRIP from OCHO pier, distance is about 1.5 miles but DO NOT walk it unless VERY familiar with JA drivers!) admission plus taxi is still less than the excursion. The taxi will say they will pick you up in an hour - figuring you want the typical one climb ship tour experience - "No, come back in 3 hours". Odds are your driver won't show up BUT there is a TAXI guy at the entrance and he knows you paid ROUND TRIP so he loads you in any taxi and they take you back for no additional fee. I've done this SEVERAL TIMES ... no problem mon ...

Last time I went I believe you gave 'em $5 for the locker (same price for big or small). For this they gave you a lock and key. When you returned the lock and key you got $2 or 3 back .....

** Just go out to the main taxi stand ... taxi fares are 'regulated' and there is a sign with fares to typical locations ... and a dispatcher.

p.s. this question is asked regularly .. this reply is copied from a previous time ... search works and you can find many more opinions ....