Cruise Critic best cruise ship awards

Ray66

I don't place much weight in any "rankings" that CC provides. They are in too tight with the cruise lines, and there might be some conflicts of interest too in that regard. Not sure that there was any voting per se.

I prefer to read member reviews, and use CC for that and their forums such as this one. The rest I ignore.

Apparently, the awards are based on CC member reviews...

"Cruise Critic Cruisers' Choice Awards 2016

•Rankings are based on ratings given by our members in published member reviews; awards are based on 2015 cruise reviews.

•Ships must have a minimum number of member reviews and ratings in a particular category in order to be included in that category's top 10 list.

•Ship size is designated as follows: ◦Large ships: 2,000+ passengers (double occupancy)

◦Mid-size ships: 1,200 - 1999 passengers (double occupancy)

◦Small ships: 1,199 or fewer passengers (double occupancy)

•Ratings shown have been rounded to the first decimal place, although they are calculated to the 8th decimal place and ordered as such; in the unlikely event of an exact tie, tied ships will instead order by the highest number of records entered, then alphabetically.

-copied from http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm

"Winners" can also be viewed on that page if interested.

This appears to be another case where the content displayed depends on where one resides. For those in the UK, the link Ray provided to "cruisecritic.co.uk" displays "Best UK Cruise Ships". The top five ships are ranked in each category. Here is what I see there.

QE = 1st for "Public Rooms", 2nd for "Embarkation", and 3rd for "Cabins", "Dining", and "Overall"

QV = 4th for "First Timers"

In the U.S., that link automatically redirects me to "cruisecritic.com" which displays "Best Cruise Ships". The top ten ships are ranked in each category there. Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy dominate those rankings. Sorry to say, I see no mention of any of the ships in the Cunard fleet within those "cruisecritic.com" rankings.

Regards,

John.

I do read CC reviews before sailing on a new ship, but like Loubetti, I take what I read with a grain of salt.

Often, things that matter to DH and me aren't given much importance in the CC reviews.

We know what we like and this includes the wonderful daytime lectures provided on Cunard ships as well as the excellent supply of reading material in Cunard ship libraries.

Nothing has ever measured up in those departments on any of the Princess, Royal Caribbean, HAL, Celebrity, (or one awful Carnival) ships on which we have sailed.

This appears to be another case where the content displayed depends on where one resides. For those in the UK, the link Ray provided to "cruisecritic.co.uk" displays "Best UK Cruise Ships". The top five ships are ranked in each category. Here is what I see there.

QE = 1st for "Public Rooms", 2nd for "Embarkation", and 3rd for "Cabins", "Dining", and "Overall"

QV = 4th for "First Timers"

In the U.S., that link automatically redirects me to "cruisecritic.com" which displays "Best Cruise Ships". The top ten ships are ranked in each category there. Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy dominate those rankings. Sorry to say, I see no mention of any of the ships in the Cunard fleet within those "cruisecritic.com" rankings.

Regards,

John.

Thanks, bluemarble, that's very interesting. It leads to a discussion about Cruise Critic reviews, who authors the reviews and why. How the reviews are counted is another question since Cruise Critic awards are seemingly based on where they are posted geographical (UK vs elsewhere?). Are the UK "reviews" counted in the UK results only, or are they also counted in the results shown on US press releases - either way, I won't lose any sleep over it :)

At any rate, it only matters if the awards influence potential passengers, or more accurately, how much advertisers can be sold on the idea that the awards will lure potential passengers.

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia