Cartagena, Colombia - Castillo San Felipe

John Bull

We're on a cruise which has a full day in Cartagena. Want to take a local morning tour (ends about 1pm), but it includes only a photo-stop at the fort. It's a shared RollCall tour so we have little or no say in the itinerary.

We want to tour the fort, can anyone tell us whether it is easy to reach under our own steam in the afternoon? By shanks's or bus or taxi. And whether there are cabs available at the fort to return to the ship if needed?

Googlemaps shows it to be near the water, but I can't tell from the map where ships berth.

Many thanks.

JB :)

We're on a cruise which has a full day in Cartagena. Want to take a local morning tour (ends about 1pm), but it includes only a photo-stop at the fort. It's a shared RollCall tour so we have little or no say in the itinerary.

We want to tour the fort, can anyone tell us whether it is easy to reach under our own steam in the afternoon? By shanks's or bus or taxi. And whether there are cabs available at the fort to return to the ship if needed?

Googlemaps shows it to be near the water, but I can't tell from the map where ships berth.

Many thanks.

It would be a short taxi ride but a long walk in the heat. YOu should see lots of taxis around the fort to take you back to the dock.

• 2 weeks later...

You can take a cab. With your tour, you might be able to get a cab from your last stop so you don't go back to the port. I would not walk. From others that took an excursion to the fort, it is extremely strenuous. The heat just adds to it!

Many thanks.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Yes, I've since been directed to the Columbia forum by folk on the South America forum. Didn't know it existed, for whatever reason on "forum jump" (my usual route for switching between forums) Columbia isn't listed :confused:

Will play it by ear, perhaps bale out of the tour at the fort or get the tour driver to drop us back there at the end if that's convenient. Or walk or taxi depending on distance, time, mood and weather. Good to know there are taxis near the fort to get back to the ship.

USD and plastic good enough?

Or did we ought to get some local shrapnel for odd little payments?

Thanks

Edited by John Bull

I do not suggest you walk to the fort. It is too hot and too far. US cash is fine, have small bills. You will be quoted prices in US $ in the tourist areas.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Yes, I've since been directed to the Columbia forum by folk on the South America forum. Didn't know it existed, for whatever reason on "forum jump" (my usual route for switching between forums) Columbia isn't listed :confused:

Will play it by ear, perhaps bale out of the tour at the fort or get the tour driver to drop us back there at the end if that's convenient. Or walk or taxi depending on distance, time, mood and weather. Good to know there are taxis near the fort to get back to the ship.

USD and plastic good enough?

Or did we ought to get some local shrapnel for odd little payments?

Thanks

I do not suggest you walk to the fort. It is too hot and too far. US cash is fine, have small bills. You will be quoted prices in US $ in the tourist areas.

Thank, Jen.

Wasn't planning to walk from the ship, only mebbe if the tour van drops us reasonably close to the castle.

Good to know USD are as widely accepted as elsewhere on our cruise.