Back from Caribbean Treasures

Hello everyone! We arrived home yesterday morning after a week in the Caribbean on the Celebration, and we had a wonderful time.

Heres a quick review....

Check in at manchester was quick, fast track through security no problems. We had an old thomsons plane, not dreamliner and we found it very uncomfortable, seats very narrow, and very noisy! Complimentary drinks were off a menu, not a great choice but adequate. Food was fine. It only took about 8 hours and i slept most of the way so that was good!

Transfer straight to ship was great, check in at port was quick and efficient. We had been on the Celebration before so knew what to expect. It was first time we had booked an outside cabin, it was an l shape bed setup, which suited us just fine, seemed more space. It was deck 4 cabin number 340, near to the front. We found it very comfortable, not noisy except when manouvering. Our cabin steward was Leah and she was great, very friendly, did an excellent job cleaning the cabin. Im not sure ill bother with an outside cabin again, unless i get a good price on the cruise.

The food was good all week, good choice, hot, both in the buffet and the Meridian. Service was good, a little slow on drinks at busy times, but nothing to complain about.

I was disappointed with the shows....we had seen them all, and only watched one. I didnt think this paticular show team were as good as some in the past, maybe because they were new. The singers werent very strong i felt. The comedian was ok, im not really a comedian person, but he was on 2 nights which i felt was a bit of a cop out.

We did a few quizes, listened to The Peakles quite a lot, and generally spent our evenings with friends.

And so to our ports of call....

St Barths....we had a wander round Gustavia, then spent a couple of hours on Shell beach, which was nice, but the beach shelves quickly into the sea which wasnt good for me. Unfortunately although it was very hot, it was mainly cloudy, and around 2ish it absolutely poured down for at least half an hour! The sea was quite rough and as it was a tender port, we had an interesting transfer! I wouldnt rush back to St Barths.

St Maarten...our 2nd time here and we love it! It was very hot and sunny today. We had a wander then got a taxi to Maho beach to watch the planes...great fun!

St Kitts...2nd time here, already done an island tour so decided to go to a beach...Shipwreck bar at South Friars Beach. Loved it, very rough and ready, nice sea. Weather was ok, hot but a bit cloudy.

Antigua.....the one place i was desperate to see, but unfortunately my partner had a bad stomach and we were confined to cabin for 24 hours! Very disappointed!

Dominica....rained all morning and couldnt get off ship. Stopped around lunchtime and we took a local taxi with another couple on a short island tour. We loved it, so beautiful. The town was nice too. Would love to come back.

The journey home was fine, transfer to airport efficient, plane still cramped, a bit of a nightmare driving home in rush hour traffic with major accidents causing holdups.

So all in all a great holiday, and we are now looking forward to something next summer in the med!

We also just came back off this cruise,I agree with your overall review but I must add that in my opinion the food in the buffet wasn't as good as previous cruises,also they have clearly cut back on the drinks waiters by a significant amount as the waiting time for a drink was terrible,so much so that it was far quicker getting drinks from the bars ourselves.also if you wanted a alcoholic drink before 11.30 am the only place you could get one was outside at the rear sun deck outside liberties which was a walk from hemmingways where we were sitting.we flew back to gatwick on a dreamliner that I wasn't really that impressed with,the legroom was good but I think that the seats are narrower than normal as I could not sit straight as my shoulders impeded onto the seats next me.but all in all we were quite happy with the ship and staff other than the drinks waiters

Thanks for the reviewsl We will be joining Celebration mid Jan so all this info is very interesting.

jilljoy, when you flew on the dreamliner, did they provide a pillow and blanket at all? I usually take my own small one but would prefer not to.

This would be in normal economy class. Thanks.

We were on Celebration for the transatlantic Caribbean Quest recently.

Flew back from Bridgetown on a Boeing 767-300 (Dreamliner look-alike?).

On boarding all the seats had a small pillow and blanket on them. It was quite cold on there, so the blanket was v.welcome.

Thought the leg room was good, but the seats a bit narrow.

Food (full meal + light breakfast) and drinks onboard included, the cabin crew worked hard, and it was quite a pleasant flight.

A lot of moaning minnies regarding space for their hand luggage. Trouble is that too many folk take far more than their 7kg allowance, and I felt sorry for the cabin crew with the verbal grief and looks they were getting.

The 6 sea days were fine, good weather throughout, getting warmer by the day.

Thanks for the reviewsl We will be joining Celebration mid Jan so all this info is very interesting.

jilljoy, when you flew on the dreamliner, did they provide a pillow and blanket at all? I usually take my own small one but would prefer not to.

This would be in normal economy class. Thanks.

Yes pillows and blanket were provided in economy

Lexie, I didn't the infection was on the ship, just wondering if you were served, or served yourself at the buffet. Thanks for the good reveiw.

Hi, we were on the Celebration in Sept and we served at the buffet all week because of infection worries. Is this still the case?

It was serve yourself all week in the buffet.

I agree about the shortage of drinks waiters, especially in the lido area, usually around lunchtime.

I love the caribbean but having done it twice now, think we will give it a miss next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Lancaster Lad, we're doing the TA back the way in April and I just wondered how you found the six sea days. Were there enough sunbeds or did you have to be up at the crack of dawn? Were there extra activities? We've been on Celebration before but only had single sea days so just a wee bit aprehensive:eek: Also trying to persuade friends to come along who have also been on Celebration before but they are put off by the number of sea days.

Did you do organised trips or your own thing? Are there any that you would recommend? Sorry for all the questions never been to Caribbean before!

We did the TA on Dream last Autumn. We are destinations people much preferring to be off the ship exploring than being on board during sea days. However we really enjoyed the TA and found plenty to do. There were lectures and classes (some payable - we did the chocolate making one which was payable but excellent.) Wayne Sleep was on board and they did a Q&A with him which was very interesting and we did a wine tasting too. Of course they run various quizzes and games during the day and showed some films in the theatre too. We found our time very full - and we don't spend much time lying out on Deck - but the days just flew by. I took several books expecting to spend more time reading but read less than usual -we were surprised by how much we enjoyed the sea days. I'd be quite happy to do another TA which isn't what I thought would be the case.

• 2 weeks later...
Although this will be my 3rd time on celebration, I can't remember which to sockets there are. Could somebody please remind me.

1 x European 2 round pin (220v) and 1 x US 2 flat pin (110v).

The sockets are usually very close to the table top.

Take a 4way extension if you have lots of items to charge.

Lancaster Lad, we're doing the TA back the way in April and I just wondered how you found the six sea days.

Sea days were fine, and they all rolled into one. We had excellent weather though apart from a bit of a swell for the first couple of days.

Were there enough sunbeds or did you have to be up at the crack of dawn? Were there extra activities? We've been on Celebration before but only had single sea days so just a wee bit aprehensive:eek:

Never enough sun beds available, though there are probably enough of them if some people weren't so selfish. The advertised sun bed police were conspicuous by their absence. Never saw them once. Tbh me and the Mrs were content sitting at a plastic table, and wandering somewhere else when we felt like it [normally indoors to escape the sun and have a peaceful drink or two]. But there were those folk who even thought that a plastic table went hand-in-hand with a sunbed! Plenty going on through the day if you felt like joining in.

Did you do organised trips or your own thing? Are there any that you would recommend? Sorry for all the questions never been to Caribbean before!

No, we prefer to do our own thing. Some people who did organised excursions had a moan that they couldn't see anything from their bus window. The windows will either face inland or seaward, so I can see their point.

If you call in at Santa Cruz at Tenerife, there's a public tram that goes all the way up over the hills to a place called La Laguna. Beautiful pedestrianised place. Can't remember how much the fare is but it's v.cheap and the trams are state-of-the-art and very frequent. Have a look on Trip Advisor for details

If you call in at Santa Cruz at Tenerife, there's a public tram that goes all the way up over the hills to a place called La Laguna. Beautiful pedestrianised place. Can't remember how much the fare is but it's v.cheap and the trams are state-of-the-art and very frequent. Have a look on Trip Advisor for details

Hi Lancaster Lad

We are off to Tenerfie later this year - how far from the port is the Tram? It sounds lovely - is it's walking distance?

Thanks

Jules

Hi Jules

Here's a couple of excellent links and all the info you need...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_Tram

If you look at the [little] map on this link, the best place to get on the tram is at the right angle where the tram turns left...

http://www.santacruzmas.com/SantaCruzMas.asp?Idioma=_EN&IdMenu=3&IdSeccion=20&IdSubseccion=16

It's Line 1, and you go all the way to the terminus at La Trinidad. When you get off the tram, cross the road carry on in the direction the tram would have gone had it been able to carry on. After about 200 yards turn left onto the pedestrianised street, and wander at your leisure.

Cheers - LL

Edited by Lancaster Lad

Hi Jules

Here's a couple of excellent links and all the info you need...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_Tram

If you look at the [little] map on this link, the best place to get on the tram is at the right angle where the tram turns left...

http://www.santacruzmas.com/SantaCruzMas.asp?Idioma=_EN&IdMenu=3&IdSeccion=20&IdSubseccion=16

It's Line 1, and you go all the way to the terminus at La Trinidad. When you get off the tram, cross the road carry on in the direction the tram would have gone had it been able to carry on. After about 200 yards turn left onto the pedestrianised street, and wander at your leisure.

Cheers - LL

Thanks for this information - great!