Tips for Elevator & Scooter

I'll be cruising for the first time with a scooter. It's a Golden LiteRider - 3 wheel. I plan on trying to use the elevator early/late at the busy times. Looking for any tips/hints to enter and exit the elevator. I'm very nervous about exiting when there are lots of folks waiting to get on.

If anyone has cruised on Celebrity's Solstice ship, is there enough room to even get a scooter on the atrium glass elevators? They look small in the pictures. I can walk but not for long distances or times. I'm bringing my rollator to use when my legs are stronger and my energy level is high. Most of the time however, I will be using the scooter on the cruise ship.

I'm excited to have some independence with my new scooter but also very nervous about navigating in crowds.

I have been on several Solstice class ships with a large scooter and have had no problems with the glass elevators. I use a Pacesaver Plus III Atlas which is about 24 inches wide and 45 + inches long. I usually wait for the crowds to thin out after a drill or main seating before I try to get on just due to the crush of people at those times when everyone is pushing and shoving to be the first on the elevator. I also leave the lounge areas about 5-10 minutes before the dining room opens both to beat the elevator crowds and to be at the front of the heard when the doors open for dinner. This allows me to get to my table and park without worrying about running over someone

Are you new to using a scooter? If so, practice, practice, practice. If you've been using a scooter for a while you shouldn't have any problems with the elevator. The only time you might have problems will be before and after dinner, before and after any shows or events, and after the muster drill. I am assuming you are traveling with someone so have them run interference for you. That's what I do as I have been using a scooter for 10 years. The staff on Celebrity are very helpful for those with a disability.

I'll be cruising for the first time with a scooter. It's a Golden LiteRider - 3 wheel. I plan on trying to use the elevator early/late at the busy times. Looking for any tips/hints to enter and exit the elevator. I'm very nervous about exiting when there are lots of folks waiting to get on.

If anyone has cruised on Celebrity's Solstice ship, is there enough room to even get a scooter on the atrium glass elevators? They look small in the pictures. I can walk but not for long distances or times. I'm bringing my rollator to use when my legs are stronger and my energy level is high. Most of the time however, I will be using the scooter on the cruise ship.

I'm excited to have some independence with my new scooter but also very nervous about navigating in crowds.[/QUOT

Please be sure to practice backing up. It is easier for all if you back in, including the rider.

Good tips! smile, back in, and go whichever way the elevator is going. When folks start moving their feet, I usually say something like " oh, you must have seen me drive before!" Which usually gets me smiles and a friendly bunch......just be careful NOT to run over or into anyone if you can possibly avoid it, You'll do fine.....Have a great cruise!

Get on the elevator no matter whether it is going up or down and ride till you get where you want to go. Have a great cruise.

This is the most important tip besides learning to drive your scooter!!! The elevator goes up and down. Back up onto an empty elevator even if it's going the opposite way you want to go. People will pack into the elevator around you as you stop at each deck. That's ok and kind of fun. Just tell them when you have to get off saying excuse me, this is my stop or something like that. Everyone will get out of your way or get off the elevator so you can leave.

You will love using the scooter on the ship. Just go slowly through the crowds since people don't look down a lot and some will walk right in front of you.

Have a super cruise!

This is the most important tip besides learning to drive your scooter!!! The elevator goes up and down. Back up onto an empty elevator even if it's going the opposite way you want to go. People will pack into the elevator around you as you stop at each deck. That's ok and kind of fun. Just tell them when you have to get off saying excuse me, this is my stop or something like that. Everyone will get out of your way or get off the elevator so you can leave.

Yup. I push both up & down buttons to get elevator. And get on the first one that has space for DS.

Yes. You can take it off the ship and ride it into town or take it on excursions. Don't however leave it unattended. If you must leave it for anything, take the key with you. I recommend the insurance that's offered with the rental.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished a cruise with Carnival and Mom's first time on a scooter. She had me run interference/block for her. She preferred to drive straight in, then just back straight out. Yes, it was odd she faced the wall for the short trips, and yes, it was hysterical when instead of hitting reverse, she gunned it straight into the back wall! She got pretty good with it by trip's end, but I don't think I realized how tricky some aspects would be. But the scooter is great to use!

Edited by susea4000

This is what I do :

• Always drive the scooter while on board in slow/turtle speed especially when entering or exiting an elevator
  • Get on the first available elevator w/space regardless of direction
  • When exiting an elevator ,particularly if you do not have anyone running interference, announce that a scooter is coming exiting. Some people waiting for the elevator , or even on the elevator , tend not to want to move.
  • During the day avoid ,if possible, using the elevators closest or in direct route to the pools and windjammer. Also avoid the closet elevators to the MDR at dinner time if possible. Best to scooter to the farther bank of elevators at these times as they tend to be the least congested.

This is what I do :

• Always drive the scooter while on board in slow/turtle speed especially when entering or exiting an elevator
  • Get on the first available elevator w/space regardless of direction
  • When exiting an elevator ,particularly if you do not have anyone running interference, announce that a scooter is coming exiting. Some people waiting for the elevator , or even on the elevator , tend not to want to move.
  • During the day avoid ,if possible, using the elevators closest or in direct route to the pools and windjammer. Also avoid the closet elevators to the MDR at dinner time if possible. Best to scooter to the farther bank of elevators at these times as they tend to be the least congested.

These are great tips for scooter/wheelchair users. I try to use them all myself. My tip is to use humor when you encounter people who make nasty comments and not let it get to you. I have found that most people who cruise are very considerate and helpful .

Our daughter uses a walker, but the issues she encounters are very similar to yours - like on elevators, she prefers to get on then turn around so that she can roll out facing forward - but, that is not always possible, and then she is stuck when she gets to her floor, having to back out around a crush of other riders. Which leads me to my main point, and it has been touched upon - humor, humor is key! I continue to be amazed at the 'me first' aspect of human nature which rears it's ugly head in a rush-to-get-on-an-elevator situation, like when the shows in the theater end and everyone wants to get back to their cabin. To be frank, more times than not, people do NOT let her go first - she is usually in fact, in the last pack to get on an elevator when she is alone, and not with me or my husband who make way for her - people crowd past her with callous disregard, when there is a crowd situation. When things are slower, when there is no pressing perceived need for people to get somewhere in a hurry, then she is gallantly waved ahead by fellow passengers - but otherwise, in general, the crowd me-first mentality prevails. With exceptions, OF COURSE!!!, there are many many many lovely people who are gracious and kind, but I guess I expect everyone to be that way, to show compassion to one who is obviously disabled, and that just doesn't always happen. She has been mobility challenged her entire life so we have had time to get used to these issues, what we like to think of as sociological study vignettes!

Thanks for everyone's replies! I am new to my scooter and have been practicing going in reverse per your suggestions. I feel much more confident with a plan of action now. I'm traveling with 4 adult family members who will run interference for me if needed. I believe humor does diffuse difficult situations. Life is too short to allow rude people to take away your happiness of the moment.

• 3 months later...

I will be taking my first cruise with a scooter in February, so I am reading through posts that will help me. I have picked up some important points. First it sounds like I need to practice backing up:D

If I was cruising right now, I know I wouldn't need my scooter on board, just for in the ports. However, by February I am not sure if this will be the case.

Thank you for everyone who gave their advice and pointers on this thread.:)