Things to do near Gleneagles Scotland

we are stopping in Scotland on a European trip this summer so my husband can play St. Andrews golf course. We will be spending two nights at Gleneagles Resort and my husband is playing two rounds of golf. I know there is a spa at hotel but am looking for things to do for two days.

Does it make any sense to drive with him to St. Andrews and visit the town while he plays golf or is there anything else closer to hotel that you could suggest.

we are stopping in Scotland on a European trip this summer so my husband can play St. Andrews golf course. We will be spending two nights at Gleneagles Resort and my husband is playing two rounds of golf. I know there is a spa at hotel but am looking for things to do for two days.

Does it make any sense to drive with him to St. Andrews and visit the town while he plays golf or is there anything else closer to hotel that you could suggest.

Gleneagles is in the middle of nowhere. There is a lot to see in the town of St Andrews. To do anything from the hotel you would need another car.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Gleneagles Hotel is a 5 star resort with all the associated activities. It s fairly remote.

The town of Auchterarder is nearby but whilst it has a nice Main Street, you could walk up and down in no time.

You could get a direct train from Gleneagles Station ( 5 minutes away by hotel shuttle) to either Edinburgh or Glasgow. Depending on which train, this journey takes from about 1 hour to 1 hour 35 minutes.

Edinburgh is probably more interesting for tourists, but if you have already been there, Glasgow ( the bigger city) is well worth a visit.

We stayed at Gleneagles a couple of years ago and as other posters said there's plenty to do round the hotel, including lovely walks, spa, tennis and clay-pigeon shooting which we did. You can have lessons in the activities. I highly recommend you book a table for dinner at Andrew Fairlies restaurant in the hotel WELL in advance. He is one of the best chefs in the UK and the food outstanding.

There is a bus from the main road to Stirling if you wanted to visit Stirling with its Castle / William Wallace Monument / Bannockburn memorial. Perth is also easily accessible and a pretty town by the River Tay. I also love Crieff, which has very traditional Scottish buildings and nice places for a snack / some souvenirs. Auchterarder is much closer and again nothing much to see but very close by and a very pleasant village for a wander. You could walk there from the hotel if you were mobile enough.

Are you all organised for St Andrews?

We stayed at Gleneagles a couple of years ago and as other posters said there's plenty to do round the hotel, including lovely walks, spa, tennis and clay-pigeon shooting which we did. You can have lessons in the activities. I highly recommend you book a table for dinner at Andrew Fairlies restaurant in the hotel WELL in advance. He is one of the best chefs in the UK and the food outstanding.

There is a bus from the main road to Stirling if you wanted to visit Stirling with its Castle / William Wallace Monument / Bannockburn memorial. Perth is also easily accessible and a pretty town by the River Tay. I also love Crieff, which has very traditional Scottish buildings and nice places for a snack / some souvenirs. Auchterarder is much closer and again nothing much to see but very close by and a very pleasant village for a wander. You could walk there from the hotel if you were mobile enough.

Are you all organised for St Andrews?

I have to disagree with Tartanexile81.

I just don't think there is enough to see in the places she has mentioned (with the one exception of Stirling Castle!)

Wallace Monument, Bannockburn, whilst interesting won't take up a day and def need a car to access.

Crieff is pleasant but not much more than ubiquitous tartan mill shops and nice coffee shops. Again a car required. Auchterarder on your doorstep, is not dissimilar.

My advice, go to either St Andrews, Edinburgh or Glasgow

(I owned a business in Bridge of Allan for 20 years, not far from Gleneagles, so know the area very well.

Each to their own, Scottie and it's a good thing we all like different things. I just tried to offer activities which the OP, in the circumstances, might like which were "near Gleneagles". I visit Auchterarder and Crieff regularly and the things I mentioned were activities we did when we stayed at Gleneagles.

Also it sounds like the OP will be on her own while the OH is golfing so personally I'd avoid Glasgow / Edinburgh if I were on my own - much more fun as a couple or group - but I asked if she needed advice for St Andrews which I agree is a great place to wander round on your own. TBH, though, the grounds at Gleneagles are so vast and it's lovely just to take advantage of all the facilities the hotel has to offer so she might end up not going anywhere. :D

We can only offer our opinions / various options and let the OP decide which is to her taste :cool: (y)

Edited by tartanexile81