CDG Experts

klfrodo

So, I have a 15 hour layover at CDG.

Is that enough time to leave the airport, take a train into Paris and be a tourist for a day.

If so, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Suggestions such as what train. What stop to get off, things to see and do, personal security precautions, etc.

Plenty of time...

RER B would be the train if you must take that option. Personally I'd just use Uber.

I'd say where to go and see depends on what you've seen of Paris before or what you're into. If this is a first time trip to Paris and you're able by foot then I'd suggest (assuming train is the only option) taking the RER B to Chatelet Les Halles which is rather central. You can walk to the Pompidou Centre and down to Ile de la Cite then work your way up the north side of the Seine past the Louvre, through the Jardin de Tuileries and up the Champs Elysees. The RER A from Arc de Triomphe will take you back to CDG with one change (Chatelet - Les Halles again) or you can work your way back to the RER B on the Metro.

When are you going? If it's out of season you should investigate stopping at a museum or two. I wouldn't try the Louvre in high season but you could easily fit in the Rodin and/or some of the other smaller wonderful museums. Even a cruise on the Seine would be a viable option.

What day and time do you arrive, If it is a Monday many museums are closed. If your arrival is early in the morning nothing much will be open.

The only other issue I could foresee would be carry on luggage. I have never looked for lockers at CDG but schlepping a carry on would be a hassle and in some places not permitted.

If your ongoing flight is another long leg you might want to consider getting a hotel room rather than heading into the city.

When are you going? If it's out of season you should investigate stopping at a museum or two. I wouldn't try the Louvre in high season but you could easily fit in the Rodin and/or some of the other smaller wonderful museums. Even a cruise on the Seine would be a viable option.

What day and time do you arrive, If it is a Monday many museums are closed. If your arrival is early in the morning nothing much will be open.

The only other issue I could foresee would be carry on luggage. I have never looked for lockers at CDG but schlepping a carry on would be a hassle and in some places not permitted.

If your ongoing flight is another long leg you might want to consider getting a hotel room rather than heading into the city.

I fly tomorrow.

Will get into CDG on Friday morning at 8:30AM Paris time. My connecting flight is 11:30PM

Fortunately, I will be in Business Class and with the help of pharmaceuticals, I should be able to get a good 5 or 6 hours sleep.

The only carry on is a backpack.

Definitely worth doing. Backpacking is good, some metro stations don't have escalators and with lots of luggage would be impossible to go up and down. Definitely consider leaving all at airport.

Be careful with Friday night traffic, it will be jammed after 5pm and so will metro.

Taxi will cost you ~80-$100.. each way...

So RER is best, do it all the time, but I like to get off at Quartier Latin, one south of Les Halles. Good restaurants and near louvre.

I strongly recommend a walk on the champs as far as the legs will take you, taking it all in, stopping for coffee or ? and then ubering back to Train station.

I am jealous...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, I'm here.

Got in at 8:30

Took about an hour to find my way out and the very long lines at Passport Control.

Once past Customs, the RER was easy to find. Long lines to purchase a ticket though.

Then when I got into Paris, it took me awhile to figure out how to get out of the damn station and up to street level.

Once out, just took of walking. Reminded me of Vegas a little bit. The landmark looked close and a half hour later, it didn't seem any closer.

The Louve wasn't what I was expecting. Didn't know that it was hidden in a huge square. The glass pyramid was smaller than I expected.

Do to me being much older than I think I am, I tired out.

Had a taxi do a drive by of the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triumph then head back to CDG for 50 Euros.

Hey, it was an adventure and I can now say I've seen some wonderful sights. I can also say that the French people are not the *******s I've been lead to believe if you do t speak French. Get over yourself, learn a few expressions ( I used Google Translate) and they would smile in appreciation and English it was.