Opnion on best cruise for first solo trip

Valmoisy

Hi All,

I just recently booked a studio balcony cabin on RCCL Anthem of the Seas in March for my first solo cruise. The cruise leaves from Bayonne, NJ and travels to Port Canaveral, Coco Cay and Nassau and cost $1,262 taxes and fees included. Since I'm in Mass no airfare is necessary. Since booking the cruise I've read several posts reporting better solo cruising experiences in the studio rooms on NCL ships. Checking the NCL ships I find that I can book an interior studio room on the Breakaway out of NYC for approximately the same cost as the RCCL cruise, with stops in Port Canaveral, Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay. I can also book an interior studio for either the eastern ($947) or western ($925) Caribbean on NCL Epic out of Port Canaveral which will cost only slightly more than the current cruise once airfare is added. Any advice?

Thanks!

I would keep the balcony as I cannot tolerate an inside cabin. Also, the difference in price is minimal between the inside studios and yours. The studio cabins may be similar in size but having that outside space makes all the difference, IMHO.

Hi All,

I just recently booked a studio balcony cabin on RCCL Anthem of the Seas in March for my first solo cruise. The cruise leaves from Bayonne, NJ and travels to Port Canaveral, Coco Cay and Nassau and cost $1,262 taxes and fees included. Since I'm in Mass no airfare is necessary. Since booking the cruise I've read several posts reporting better solo cruising experiences in the studio rooms on NCL ships. Checking the NCL ships I find that I can book an interior studio room on the Breakaway out of NYC for approximately the same cost as the RCCL cruise, with stops in Port Canaveral, Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay. I can also book an interior studio for either the eastern ($947) or western ($925) Caribbean on NCL Epic out of Port Canaveral which will cost only slightly more than the current cruise once airfare is added. Any advice?

Thanks!

What is your cabin number?

I would keep the Anthem cabin. The only downside to that is if you decide you like cruising (most people do) and want to carry on. You may find it difficult to go to an inside.

Most of my solo cruises have been with RCI. I have also done a couple of cruises on NCL.

In my opinion, RCI is a better overall experience. I definitely think that the food is of a better quality.

I did have a studio on Epic, and it was great to have the lounge with the coffee machine and a seating area. There was almost always someone to chat to if I wanted. The host arranges tables for dinner and bookings for shows, if you want company.

I will be back on Epic in March, but only because I will be meeting up with friends that I've met on other cruises.

thanks for the opinions. I'm booked in cabin 7648, with the really large balcony. I've been on several cruises, all of them in balcony cabins or suites, but this is my first solo cruise. I was considering the NCL studios because of the lounge and the solo cruiser coordinator and meetings.

I'm a fan of the studios. I've been on multiple cruises, both solo and with my significant other. The balcony is nice if the weather is decent and we're both sitting out there enjoying the view. But when I had a balcony on one of my solo trips, the weather was unbearably hot, and I hardly even opened my curtains, much less used the balcony. I'm going to come across as a bit of a cheerleader, but I really like the "ship within a ship" aspect of the NCL studios, particularly easy access to the lounge for water/tea/coffee/snacks. They're also quiet (at least on Getaway, assuming you don't have a very rude neighbor), and the locked-off area makes me feel safer as a female traveling alone.

All this said--if Anthem home ported in an area I was more familiar with, I'd probably give it a try someday. And as another counterpoint to my studio love, the studio prices keep going up, and NCL in particular is trying to make itself into a much more expensive cruise line via fairly annoying methods.

My next solo will probably be on the Escape.

Addendum--when I'm doing a solo/studio cruise, I also buy a thermal suite pass ($200 or so). Lots of great ocean view there without the crowds of the pool deck.

Edited by AdoraBelle

thanks for the opinions. I'm booked in cabin 7648, with the really large balcony. I've been on several cruises, all of them in balcony cabins or suites, but this is my first solo cruise. I was considering the NCL studios because of the lounge and the solo cruiser coordinator and meetings.

You have a primo cabin. I was in 6648 and loved loved loved it. Super convenient to the elevators and many of the places you are likely to frequent on the ship. The balcony is unbelievable!

IMO keep the cabin and go. Join the roll call and try to connect with other solos. If you've never been in an inside cabin, I'm not sure your first solo cruise is the time to try that in any kind of studio inside cabin. I've never done a studio cabin except the studio balcony on Quantum. I always book a regular inside. RCL usually plays games with their studio pricing on the Radiance class ships. I've seen them keep the studio price high for months so that solos will book a regular inside and no one books the studios. Insides will go up over time and at some point RCL will drop the studio price so it appears attractive, but it is actually higher than the regular insides were at an earlier date.

The pricing game that is being played on Anthem is different. RCL has been offering a reasonably priced studio balcony guarantee when all the studio balconies are actually booked. Folks taking this option are usually assigned at least a DO cabin, which means a regular sized balcony that is obstructed. The guarantee price is about 110% of the per person price for a DO, which is a reasonable supplement. I had a DO on a short cruise and it was fine.

You have a primo cabin. I was in 6648 and loved loved loved it. Super convenient to the elevators and many of the places you are likely to frequent on the ship. The balcony is unbelievable!

IMO keep the cabin and go. Join the roll call and try to connect with other solos. If you've never been in an inside cabin, I'm not sure your first solo cruise is the time to try that in any kind of studio inside cabin. I've never done a studio cabin except the studio balcony on Quantum. I always book a regular inside. RCL usually plays games with their studio pricing on the Radiance class ships. I've seen them keep the studio price high for months so that solos will book a regular inside and no one books the studios. Insides will go up over time and at some point RCL will drop the studio price so it appears attractive, but it is actually higher than the regular insides were at an earlier date.

Just as a counterpoint, my first cruise EVER was in an inside studio cabin, and I loved it.

(Not trying to talk to OP out of their current booking, just providing data points. I freely admit my pro-studio bias.)

Hi All,

Thanks!

My recommendation would be the Breakaway as I did it twice and I found the studio experience to be excellent. Even though I upgraded to a balcony I was still able to participate in the studio gatherings.

In particular I found I made friends with 3 groups of people on my last cruise- the music venues, bingo and the solo lounge gatherings.

I do think RCCL ships are nice- I just haven't been on one in 20+ years so am just giving you my perspective from a NCLer.

I think you should stick with your booking and then try ncl next. I absolutely love the studios on NCL. But everyone has their own preferences. The food on NCL is great. I have not been on RCCL but mainly cause it costs way more for me. I think you have book early to get a studio with RCCL as i have looked and only once did i find one available. I think they have more Studios on NCL. Either way enjoy your cruise!!

Some recent reviewers have posted copies of the daily compass. Everyday there seems to be at least 2 solo meet ups listed. So even though there isn't a dedicated lounge on Anthem, RCCL offers opportunities to meet other solo travelers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was solo in May 2016 on Anthem and a very quiet person as it is and I still had fun on my cruise and met a ton of people. Go to the cruise boards and see if there are any solo cruisers on the cruise. My cruise we had a huge group of solos. 2nd night a few of us ate at Chops. I went to Wonderland by myself on the first night. It was a bit awkward but I just wanted to try it out. My table mates were awesome though and I had late dinner every evening with the same group. There were meetings for lunch during sea days in the Bionic Bar. I went to the shows with others and sometimes I just went alone. I guess it all depends what you expect. This was my second solo, as my first was in January on the Brilliance, and I had a lot more fun and less nervous this time. I cant wait to go on my next solo which I have yet to plan.

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'm gonna stick with the Anthem. I'm really looking forward to my first solo. If I enjoy cruising solo as much as I think I will maybe I'll try NCL studios for my next one.