HELP! Best beach for kids? Valley Church or Darkwood

loveysbydesign

We are visiting Antigua for the 1st time this Nov. while taking our 1st Carnival cruise on the Breeze.

I've been reading up on Valley Church and Darkwood beaches and they both look breathtakingly beautiful but I can not decide which might be a better fit for us?

I'm having a hard time finding any reviews/info. that mention how kid friendly the beaches are. This is our only planned beach day for our cruise and I really want to relax and enjoy it! :D

(In San Juan we are exploring the forts, in St. Thomas we may be doing a catamaran excursion and in Nassua we may not even get off the ship, have been there 2x before)

Our kids will be 15, 12 and 7 and we are looking for a beach that is safe and has not too steep of a drop off. We may bring our own snorkel gear along for them to try out snorkeling. So basically just a very relaxing beach day where we can all enjoy the beach and the water.

Restrooms are important too.

Also wondering what would be the best way to get there...cab or public bus?

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing some suggestions - we really aren't sure what to do here either and I'm behind on my investigative research. We have two girls 11, and 15. I saw some beautiful videos of Ft. James Beach but in the videos it looked secluded.

I wonder if there are beaches with water inflatables for the kids to bounce around in??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has anyone been been to both and can compare them for me?

Or has anyone taked their kids to either beach?

Valley Church every time. Dark Wood is a small beach backed by a busy main road which is close, and you hear the drone of traffic wherever you sit.

The beach bar is small and expensive.

Valley Church is ideal for children. No main road, with areas at each end with bars and beds, with a stretch of wide empty beach (With natural shade) in between. Very safe for children to run and explore.

Also the shared taxi to VC is about $3.00 each, at lest than half of Darkwood.

Ifo. The bar at the bottom of the beach is run by an ex Miss Caribbean who sells beers and sodas at a good price. Worth a visit for a soda and chat.

Enjoy.

Valley Church every time. Dark Wood is a small beach backed by a busy main road which is close, and you hear the drone of traffic wherever you sit.

Valley Church is ideal for children. No main road, with areas at each end with bars and beds, with a stretch of wide empty beach (With natural shade) in between. Very safe for children to run and explore.

Ifo. The bar at the bottom of the beach is run by an ex Miss Caribbean who sells beers and sodas at a good price. Worth a visit for a soda and chat.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the info!

Doesn't Valley Church have jetskis and such? I am trying to avoid them!

Enjoy.

Thank you so much for this information. Is it worth taking snorkel gear to Valley Church Beach?

Thank you so much for this information. Is it worth taking snorkel gear to Valley Church Beach?

No jet skis - just peace

Not much to use the tube on.

Posh at the top end

Shabby chic at the bottom

Sand in between

No condos

Quiet road behind. When I say quiet, it is just visitors coming and going

Best kept secret in Antigua

For now we are planning to go to Darkwood. Our cruise group has a list of people signed up to go there so I think we'll stick with other cruiser's from our ship ;)

The choices are

1. Darkwood. A small beach with big waves and a strong breeze, skirted by a busy main road where trucks roar, and on the other side of the road is a swamp.

2. VCB. A nice quiet beach

My recommendation is Change to VCB ;)

Edited by PORT ROYAL

No jet skis - just peace

Not much to use the tube on.

Posh at the top end

Shabby chic at the bottom

Sand in between

No condos

Quiet road behind. When I say quiet, it is just visitors coming and going

Best kept secret in Antigua

In these reviews it says there are jet skis?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1892998-d2415473-Reviews-Valley_Church_Beach-Jolly_Harbour_Saint_Mary_Parish_Antigua_Antigua_and_Barbuda.html

Been twice and never seen them. If they are available they will be at the top end of the beach.

Bottom end and middle no.

VCB is by far better than Darkwood. Also if the church is ending a service, if you are lucky, your driver may introduce to female Antigua Royalty. This being the mother of the man, Isaac Vivian.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

How early does the Nest open? How early are chairs available to rent? We plan to head over as early as we can to get a great spot:D This beach looks amazing.

Sorry, I do not know the opening times as usually get there about 09.30 or after. Think the beds were $5.00 each and used the shade of a tree. But do not forget the walk down the beach to enjoy the bar offering shabby chic and good food. For the UK cruisers they serve bottled Guiness ice cold. :D

To all cruisers pleas enjoy this beach.

Thanks! Not sure what we're going to do now, our cruise group was planning to go to Darkwood Beach but there is rumor that is was recently damaged by a hurricane so now they are planning to go to Jolly beach. Not sure if I want to do Jolly Beach with them or Church Valley on our own?

• 1 month later...
So we went to Darkwood Beach and has a blast!

photo.php?fbid=10205457316301295&set=a.10205457497185817&type=3&theater

Enjoy.

So was it really a "small beach backed by a main road" or just a nice , quiet beach?

So was it really a "small beach backed by a main road" or just a nice , quiet beach?

Darkwood was absolutely gorgeous! It was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. The staff was friendly at the small restaurant and I never heard even one car!

It was the ultimate beach to relax at and enjoy the day. It was one of the main highlights of our trip. We were so sad to leave and go back to the ship :(

We walked to the bus station and took bus #22. It cost $1.50 pp each way. Bravo was our driver and he was super friendly and helpful.

Looking to the left.

DSC04985_zpsd8c2cb1e.jpg

Looking to the right.

DSC04987_zps29d00709.jpg

DSC05002_zps2684190d.jpg

There were other who went to VCB and they said the drop off was pretty steep and it was rough. There was a small drop-off at Darkwood but the water was calm as can be. My 7 y.o. had lots of fun snorkeling even though he stayed in the shallow part and saw just a few fish.

DSC04997_zpsaaa51dcf.jpg

Edited by loveysbydesign

• 1 month later...

Thank you! We've been to VC several times and each year it's gotten more and more crowded as more people of "discovered" it. The last time the chair/umbrella guys were constantly yelling and fighting with each other. It got a bit irritating. Hoping to have a nice quiet day at Darkwood.

• 3 weeks later...
I think we're going to try Jolly Beach this time (not the Resort , just the beach).

If it's crowded we'll hop back on the bus and go to Darkwood.

We didn't choose JB as I wanted it to be more peaceful, quiet and nature like. I didn't want to be near wave runners, vendors etc. Darkwood Beach is my most fav. beach in the world!